The Beatles Threadology

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
rwhen

Post by rwhen »

Solicitr, I peformed with a band for about 25 years and when we would cover Beatles tunes, our drummer had the FITS to learn it correctly. He was indeed very subtle and his timing was impecable.

Agreed, no one harmonized like the Beatles did. It is something that is very fun to do on holidays....my whole family are musicians and vocalists... (or we like to THINK we are) and on holidays we do the whole Beatles songbook. We sing until we are croaking toads, but it sure is fun.
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

Just as an FYI for those who are unaware, the Beatle's catalogue is available on Itunes finally. There is also concert footage available for free from their first US tour.

This won't do much good for people who have their music or have purchased their re-mastered cd's, but for the rest of you sluggards, this may be a good thing.

BTW, used cd's of the recently released re-mastered cd's can be had at Newbury Comics for as little as $10 US dollars, used. Hard to beat.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I had just told Freddy that a nice birthday or Christmas present for me would be a Beatles' CD, since I couldn't buy it on iTunes. :D So now I'm wondering if anyone got it for me, or if I should go ahead and start downloading.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

I was hoping for iTunes versions of the mono mixes...*pout*
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Aren't there a 1000 other places besides iTunes one could have downloaded this stuff? :scratch:
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Actually, I don't think so. :scratch: I thought I looked around once, but I could be mistaken.
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

Pretty sure this is the culmination of a long ongoing lawsuit between Apple and Apple Records. And who knows where the Jackson estate and Sony fit into all this. I think though that this is the first instance that Beatle songs are availaale for download.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Just jumped over to amazon and they're there. I'm pretty sure they've been there for some time?
-The Decemberists

Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

I honestly don't know for sure. Maybe they were available at other places, but if nothing else, this finally ends the agelong suit.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I don't know either, but my thought is "what would have been the point?" of keeping iTunes from having the songs available if they were available elsewhere. :scratch:
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

Apparently, upon the inception of Apple, there was some type of agreement between them and Apple Records where Apple could use the trademarked name providing they were not using it within the music business.
Well obviously a lot has happened since Apple computers came on the market way back when, and since iPods and iTunes are certainly part of the music business there was a dispute.

Wikipedia has a chronology of events.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Corp ... e_Computer
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

As sad as it is, sometimes it feels good to be old. I knew of the suit and in some weird way that made me feel ok. I felt good knowing there was an Apple before there was an Apple.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9889538-7.html

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2010/11/1 ... music.html

Actually, I'm thinking they haven't been available for legal download before now.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

That's odd. Why would a dispute with Apple prevent site's like amazon from selling 'em? :scratch:
-The Decemberists

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

You are right, Lali. A related story sheds light on it.
For one hot minute, the collective internet cocked an eyebrow at a claim from Zaptunes, a new music service, and it's claim this week to offer "100% legal" downloads of mp3s for a mere $25 per month for up to 2,500 downloads. And, wouldn't you know it, it's running a promotion now which enables users to try out the site for free. And that includes the free and legal downloads of... The Beatles? Led Zeppelin?

Those two acts have infamously shot down deals to joining popular retail sites like iTunes and tethered music services like Rhapsody over licensing disputes. So it seemed odd that EMI/Apple, for instance, would strike a deal with an unknown upstart for a digital introduction to the Fab Four.
http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/immaculate-noise/posts/new-music-service-zaptunes-claims-legal-beatles-downloads-emi-responds
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

In case any of you are interested, the Apple Records website has some nice interviews and backstory into the whole Apple Records business.

There are also some nice videos, including one from the Concert For Bangladesh. Bill Preston singing That's The Way God Planned It, backed by George Harrison, Eric Clapton, Ringo Starr and others.
Nice song and good rendition.

http://www.applerecords.com

[broken link removed - VtF]

edit: The link was weird I guess, so just go to Apple Records and click the video tab.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Canadian woman graduates with Masters degree in The Beatles.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12309809
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

It's going to Rain tonight and Rebecca and I will be there.

http://www.raintribute.com/tour-tickets/

This particular version of Beatle knockoffs sounds promising. I've seen others in the past, and I have enjoyed them.

I reconsile watching faux artists in the same way I reconsile hearing a symphony playing Mozart. I know they aren't the real thing, but the music and interpretation can and often do recreate fond memories.

This takes place at a venue where I saw many artists in the past, like Bob Seger, Santana, Blue Oyster Cult, Jefferson Starship and others.

It is indeed a visually stunning place, and hopefully the sound system is as elegant.

Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

Review tomorrow. First half was disappointing.
"Second set" was brilliant.

I think Rebecca agrees.

Pics and maybe videos forthcoming.
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

I think this amazing video (well audio really as the actual footage is meh) says all about seeing Rain doing Beatle songs. A great version of I've Just Seen A Face.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctk0zHeBLvU