The Constant Gardener

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Pearly Di
Elvendork

The Constant Gardener

Post by Pearly Di »

Saw it tonight.

Absolutely bloody excellent film, probably the best I've seen all year ... I thought it was better than 'Crash'.

Intelligent and incisive political thriller, based on a John le Carre novel, with a truly tender and convincing love story at its heart ... Ralph Fiennes and Rachel Weisz are outstanding.

First film I've seen with Fiennes in which I fancied him. :D

Be prepared, it's pretty bleak and gives no easy answers ... but it's a pleasure to watch something so thought-provoking and so beautifully filmed.
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

This is one film I've been wanting to see, too. I don't think it's in our theatres right now, but I'm not sure whether it was here and left or just hasn't arrived yet.

We have two multiplexes in our immediate vicinity, and they both show exactly the same movies. It is so annoying, especially this time of year when most of the 'blockbusters' are for kids.

Jn
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
Athrabeth

Post by Athrabeth »

Aggggghhh!

I can't watch it...............yet.

I've got the book already packed for our trip to Mexico in early January, and until it's read, I'll just have to wait for the movie experience - probably on DVD.

I ADORE Le Carre's work. It's good to know that this one was able to be adapted so well to film. It's had mostly wonderful reviews, from what I've read.

But a recommendation by Pearl is just what I needed to hear! :)

Who could be so lucky? Who comes to a lake for water and sees the reflection of moon.
Jalal ad-Din Rumi
Queen_Beruthiel

Re: The Constant Gardener

Post by Queen_Beruthiel »

Pearl wrote: First film I've seen with Fiennes in which I fancied him. :D
What! You didn't fancy him in GoF? :scratch:

:rofl:
Evil Queen of Gondor
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Funnily enough, Queen B, no. :rofl:

He was frickin awesome as Voldy though! Nobody does evil quite like Fiennes ...

He must be one of the finest actors on the planet. He's FANTASTIC. I've seen him twice on stage and he has real charisma ... *wonders who he could have played in LOTR*

But a recommendation by Pearl is just what I needed to hear!

Thank you, Athrabeth! :hug:

Going back to the film ... it takes a piercing and uncomfortable look at white liberal guilt and Western complicity in unjust systems. And the characters are COMPLEX .and three-dimensional .. Rachel Weizs's character is noble, winsome and likeable but also something of a pain in the neck just because she has such pure principles ... it's actually pretty hard being married to someone who is on a mission. ;) Fiennes' character is a reserved Englishman who loves his wife tenderly and comes to understand her passion and rage.

And Africa looks utterly ravishing in this film. Brutal and beautiful and ... you can SMELL the landscape, FEEL the open sky.

And there's not one single African character who looks grateful for the whites 'rescuing' them ... thank goodness.
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Sassafras
still raining, still dreaming

Post by Sassafras »

He must be one of the finest actors on the planet. He's FANTASTIC. I've seen him twice on stage and he has real charisma ... *wonders who he could have played in LOTR*
Faramir.

Ever mindful of the maxim that brevity is the soul of wit, axordil sums up the Sil:

"Too many Fingolfins, not enough Sams."

Yes.
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Sassafras wrote:Faramir.
Promptly faints.

Oh my goodness me, YES. :bow:
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

No not Faramir, think further back..

I have always pictured Ralph as......Fëanor.