Christmas (or Holiday Season) Music

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Athrabeth

Post by Athrabeth »

Rowan wrote:I've only got the Boney M disco cover version of that piece - although, that's a memory of my youth.
One day, I'll post a story in the Memories thread about a Boney M tape and the Bus Ride of Doom...................maybe. :halo:

Voronwë.......très bizarre indeed. :? And your story about Belafonte was très intéressant! I remember seeing him in concert waaaayyyy back in the sixties, when he was first introducing Odette to world. She was such an amazing singer. My mom bought tickets for the whole family, but she was the most excited about going. You know, I think she has always had...............hmmmmmmmm..........unwholesome thoughts about Mr. Belafonte. =:)

Who could be so lucky? Who comes to a lake for water and sees the reflection of moon.
Jalal ad-Din Rumi
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Alatar wrote:The first Christmas album I remember was a Perry Como album. That silky smooth voice was just perfect. Nat King Cole is probably my favourite crooner but Perry Como was my first.

Nowadays we always play the double CD "Best Chritmas Album in the World Ever" when we're decorating. One of my favourite carols is the Bing Crosby/David Bowie duet of Little Drummer Boy and Peace on Earth.

Magical.
I, unfortunately for my peace of mind, HAVE heard David Bowie and Bing Crosby "performing" that Christmas music. I may never recover. The memory is still fresh and exceedingly painful. :help:

I've never understood what possessed Bowie to do it. Chemicals, perhaps?

It's odd how tastes differ. That's all I can say about that. :D
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

For those who would like to hear the Bing Crosby/David Bowie duet, you can check it out here:

Little Drummer Boy / Peace on Earth

Note: Bear in mind this is an MP3 I made from my own collection so copyright applies.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Thanks, Al. :hug:

Downloading.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
cemthinae
TTBK's cemmie

Post by cemthinae »

First time I heard the Crosby/Bowie duet I loved it. Then I found out who was singing with Bing Crosby & the image I had of David Bowie, in my mind, made me want to dislike it.

When I finally saw the tv special a year later & saw them together at the piano, I just melted. It's a good song & a very unique recording.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Listening to it now.

I like it. But I would never have guessed that that was David Bowie. :shock:
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Athrabeth wrote:One day, I'll post a story in the Memories thread about a Boney M tape and the Bus Ride of Doom...................maybe. :halo:
"Night Flight to Venus?" :twisted:

Rah rah, Rasputin, lover of the Russian Queen,
There was a cat that really was gone. . . .
Rah rah, Rasputin, Russia's greatest love machine,
It was a shame how he carried on. . . .

And yet civilization didn't crumble, at least not then. Strange.

I like spare ancient vocal Christmas music, and I love "The Messiah," although I need to replace my recording which was a gift and is one of those ponderous Robert Shaw things based on the Prout edition where they stuck in all the brasses and probably saxophones as well, and the tempi are funereal.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

I have an interesting CD called "Bonanza: Christmas on the Ponderosa," featuring Ben and Hoss and Adam and Little Joe Cartwright.

I listen to it once a year.

Not twice.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Whistler wrote:I have an interesting CD called "Bonanza: Christmas on the Ponderosa," featuring Ben and Hoss and Adam and Little Joe Cartwright.

I listen to it once a year.

Not twice.
*makes soothing sounds*

*offers a nice cup of tea*

And who shall blame thee, Whistler?

Who, indeed.
Athrabeth

Post by Athrabeth »

Primula_Baggins wrote:
Athrabeth wrote:One day, I'll post a story in the Memories thread about a Boney M tape and the Bus Ride of Doom...................maybe. :halo:
"Night Flight to Venus?" :twisted:

Rah rah, Rasputin, lover of the Russian Queen,
There was a cat that really was gone. . . .
Rah rah, Rasputin, Russia's greatest love machine,
It was a shame how he carried on. . . .
Prim, how DID you know? :shock: *shudder*

I adore Handel's "Messiah", and have gone twice to "sing alongs" that let audience and choir combine their voices in that glorious music. What a powerful and uplifting experience, to be singing with hundreds of others! :love:

Who could be so lucky? Who comes to a lake for water and sees the reflection of moon.
Jalal ad-Din Rumi
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Oh, Ath, the scars are visible to those familiar with them. . . .

I've always wanted to go to a Messiah singalong, but (a) I can't sing, and (b) I sing tenor. I've never particularly wanted to inflict either on those around me, outside of church.

However, I have played in the orchestra for performances five or six times, and it is thrilling. Even the viola part is thrilling.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

Alatar, I'm on a slow connection at the moment, so I can't download it, will do when I get home - but I'd love to know how it works, to upload soundfiles to share them with people here! :)
I have an interesting CD called "Bonanza: Christmas on the Ponderosa," featuring Ben and Hoss and Adam and Little Joe Cartwrigh
That sounds - interesting! :shock:
Do they sing? What kind of music does it contain?

Prim and Ath, there was a German song that went "Rah rah Rasputin" here when I was a kid - I wonder whether that was a translation of the one you mean and the same tune. :shock:
(If it is: I liked the song at the time. :oops: But I was ten or twelve. :D)

Back to real music ( ;) ): no need to say I love The Messiah, too. :love:
It's also the best piece to sing, it's demanding, but it's always so that the voice can flow naturally (if that makes sense).
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Of course they sing, TH!

Dan Blocker's rendition of "Deck the Halls" is...impossible to describe!
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Hobby, it's simple enough. You get an MP3 ripper. I use CDEx or Windows Media Player 10. I would recommend CDEx as it's freeware and the default settings are perfect so there is no need to mess with anything before ripping.

You put in your CD and let the titles get downloaded from the internet (assuming you are connected) then hit "Extract to MP3". Once you have finished ripping, listen to the MP3 in WinAmp or Media Player.

To share, simply get a free Webspace from somewhere, there's plenty of options. Follow their instructions for uploading files by FTP and copy the MP3 into one of the public directories. Then simply link to it. If you need more detailed help let me know.

Disclaimer: Please be aware that copying and distributing MP3s is against copyright law. My own understanding is that there is no problem with sharing Mp3s for friends to listen to, but obviously you have a legal obligation to delete it after listening. I'm sure Voronwë can clarify the situation if required.

Alatar
truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

Alatar, thanks! :)

I guess I'll get in contact with you about this some time - I basically know these things, but I tried last year to upload a soundfile to a website and then link to it, and it didn't work.
Of course they sing, TH!

Dan Blocker's rendition of "Deck the Halls" is...impossible to describe!
Hehe, the kind of thing only a fan could like, I suppose - sounds really interesting! :D
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

<trying to shake the mental image of Dan Blocker singing... anything>

My absolute favorite Christmas music is Benjamin Brittain's "Ceremony of Carols." I heard it often as a child because my brother was in a boy's choir that usually sang it in December. After wearing out an album, I now have a CD.
SilverScribe
Scribe, Wanderer, Warrior

Post by SilverScribe »

Alatar wrote: One of my favourite carols is the Bing Crosby/David Bowie duet of Little Drummer Boy and Peace on Earth.

Magical.
Ditto. The blending of the two men's so different voices is like mixing maple syrup into whipping cream, the result is totally amazing. I too was skeptical when I heard they’d done a duet and tuned into the TV special thinking “sheesh, I bet ol’ Bing totally ruins it.” LOL! I was expecting a Ziggy Stardust rendering, but the result darn near made me cry it was so beautiful. I gained a new respect for Bing that very moment and have enjoyed his voice ever since.

In my youth at home, one of my all time favourite artists at Christmas time was (at the time) a young boy named Heintje. Voice like an angel, I have never heard “Oh Du Froëliche” sung quite the same way since. He was always on the turntable, along with Mario Lanza and those endless "Christmas Songs and Carols" albums that the gas stations used to put out, LOL.

I’ve spread out a lot in the years since. Amy Grant, The Hansons, Mannheim Steamroller, Boney M, live side by side with the older classics like The Nutcracker, Barbra Streisand, Bing Crosby, Mario Lanza, Perry Como and a host of others.

These days, the Christmas album of choice is the 1989 offering by Michael W. Smith; his "Gloria" chorus raises goosebumps the size of pumpkins. If you haven't heard this amazing man's voice and music, treat yourself. If you love music, and most especially Christmas music, you'll never regret it.

:D:D:D
~.~
Actions speak louder than words, but on a messageboard, "you are what you type . . ."
~.~
cemthinae
TTBK's cemmie

Post by cemthinae »

Prim, you sing tenor too? I'm a very low alto/sometimes tenor. I've learned to just ignore people at church. I'll sing if I want to! :D
truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

SilverScribe wrote: In my youth at home, one of my all time favourite artists at Christmas time was (at the time) a young boy named Heintje. Voice like an angel, I have never heard “Oh Du Froëliche” sung quite the same way since.
:shock:
I never thought Heintje was famous overseas!
He's considered the epitome of the spirit of the 50s here - you know, all that happy-happy Pleasantville sort of thing.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

cemthinae wrote:Prim, you sing tenor too? I'm a very low alto/sometimes tenor. I've learned to just ignore people at church. I'll sing if I want to! :D
Oh, I do, too—it's the one place I've never felt constrained. I can read music, so I love singing the alto or tenor part, especially now that my baritone son has finally begun joining in (he sings in two audition-only choirs, but until this year he never opened his mouth to sing in church).