TV obsessions—come on, admit it!

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Maria
Hobbit

Re: TV obsessions—come on, admit it!

Post by Maria »

Sunny, I watched the wrong "Merlin" when you recommended it. I didn't see Anthony Head anywhere, and it was only 7 episodes long or so! Ack! Now I have to find that *other* Merlin TV series.

Looks like it's available on Amazon Prime.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Also on Netflix, Maria!
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

The original 2006 animated Avatar: The Last Airbender came up on Netflix recently, probably because Netflix is remaking it in live action. I was a bit too old to have been in its target audience when it came out (based on the age of the characters I suspect it was made for ten- to fifteen-year-olds), but I knew it had attracted a big following a lot of critical acclaim so I decided to give it a go. And I found myself charmed by it – engrossing worldbuilding with a Far Eastern theme, engaging characters, and pretty good dialogue and very few idiot plots. Finished it today after it gave me a good few weeks of entertainment.
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

The Airbender anime is really one of the best there is, when it comes to world building.
I really recommend Fullmetal Alchemist, Túrin. It's another series with excellent fantasy worldbuilding and an engaging plot. It's also available on Netflix.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I've never watched Avatar and was never really interested in it as I generally don't like anime, but a while ago I watched the first season of Legend of Korra, which is set in the Avatar universe, and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Unfortunately I wasn't able to watch the rest of the show as it's not available online anywhere. As someone who really liked Korra but usually hates anime, I've been wondering if I should give Avatar a try.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Depends on what exactly you hate about animes. I usually don't watch the more popular animes - they're very much stretched out, and have too much shouting and silly fights. Avatar and Fullmetal Alchemist are nothing like that imo.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

We watched the movie, the last Airbender few years ago and loved it.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

I didn't really think of Avatar as anime, more anime-influenced traditional animation (but I suppose it doesn't matter so much either way). I can't say I've ever had an interest in anime. The movie's reputation is nowhere near as good as the animated series', explaining why it never got its planned sequels. I might watch it if it comes up, though.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

My son gave us the Airbender series long ago. We liked it, even though I don't generally like animations. My daughter made me promise to never watch the movie, though, as she thought it was horrible compared to the original. So I've never watched the live action movie.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

We are really enjoying the "Killjoys" series.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Still totally wrapped up in the Killjoy series. It's sci fi as good as The Expanse, and Firefly. It sucked me in with the first episode and I'd binge watch all four seasons if my husband could stand that.
But we are watching it together, so I'm slowing down to his TV pace. He just isn't good for more than one episode per day. Sometimes 2 days.
Besides, I don't want to get through the first four seasons before Season 5 is released in December.

REALLY good show. :)
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Killjoy? Which streaming service is it on?
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I got the blu rays, so I'm not sure.

(googles)

Internet says, "Killjoys is a Canadian space adventure drama series that aired on CTV Sci-Fi Channel (formerly Space) in Canada. The show was officially ordered to series on October 7, 2013, with a 10-episode pick-up.[1] In April 2014, it was announced that Syfy would co-produce the series, and the first season premiered June 19, 2015. "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killjoys_(TV_series)
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Started watching Season 3 of The Crown. So far I’m not as entertained as I was by the first season, or to a lesser degree, the second, perhaps because the events are less dramatic. Plus the writing seems a bit more far-fetched at times, perhaps for this reason.

I’m still struggling to see Olivia Coleman as the Queen and Helena Bonham-Carter as Princess Margaret. Part of that might be because I’m so used to their predecessors. But part of it is probably also because I’ve seen Coleman and Bonham-Carter in a lot of other roles, whereas Claire Foy and Vanessa Kirby were relative unknowns. Foy looked more like the young Queen to me, or at least my image of her, and while I didn’t have a similar image of the young Princess Margaret I loved Kirby’s performance. Tobias Menzies does look eerily like Prince Phillip – if it’s not a strict resemblance in looks it certainly is in voice and manner. And while I loved Matt Smith’s portrayal of the contrarian consort as much as Kirby’s of his sister-in-law, I’d give Menzies the edge on impersonating him.

Edit: I’m now on episode 3 and the Aberfan Disaster, which I’m finding more dramatic and engaging.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

We finished the "Killjoys" series this week. It's really great all the way through! It is definitely as good as Firefly, and there's so much more of it! :love:

Really, really good science fiction, with very good character building and an over all story arc that is addictive as well as unpredictable.

I'm sad it's over, but it was a heck of a ride while it lasted. :)
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Have I mentioned Watchmen and The Boys? Two very different takes on the superhero Genre!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

I'm hooked on "Doc Martin". I absolutely adore this show.

Any other fans?
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Tiger King.

Please watch (Netflix), so all of you can discuss with me.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
Snowdog

Post by Snowdog »

TV obsessions... Archer? Rick & Morty? Bosch? Star Trek Discovery?
Been binging a lot with this whole staying home thing going...
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
--Bilbo Baggins
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

We've been re-watching Babylon 5 when we have time or energy left at the end of the day to watch anything at all. These days we really want something guaranteed good, and that show is one of our all time favorites.