TV obsessions—come on, admit it!

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Re: TV obsessions—come on, admit it!

Post by Primula Baggins »

I’ve seen both seasons of The Crown and quite enjoyed most of both. Seeing history and social change through a rather weird lens. Lots of good acting and crazy interior design, too.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

OUAT.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

whut
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

I think he's answering my question above.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Primula Baggins wrote:I’ve seen both seasons of The Crown and quite enjoyed most of both. Seeing history and social change through a rather weird lens. Lots of good acting and crazy interior design, too.
I kept having to remind myself that The Crown was based on reality, it was very good and filled with so many details I had no idea about!

I hear the Queen was quite enjoying it until the scene with Philip and Charles coming back from school in the plane, with Philip berating him.

Jude, I'll check out OUAT Season 7. Is there anything I should know going into it?
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I am beginning to wish for a historical series that is based somewhere other than those few tiny islands, TBH. *grumps off into distance*
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Oh man, I'd mentioned that I've been reading a bit about Russian history around the rise of Communism and it has totally made me wish that someone would make a really good movie or series about the reign of the last Tsar, especially the craziness that was Rasputin. That stuff is fascinating!
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

6 best films about the mysterious Russian ‘monk’ Rasputin

ETA: There was also reportedly an upcoming film entitled "Rasputin" starring Leonardo DiCaprio in the title role, but I don't know if anything ever came of that.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Frelga wrote:I am beginning to wish for a historical series that is based somewhere other than those few tiny islands, TBH. *grumps off into distance*
There is that...
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

elengil wrote: Jude, I'll check out OUAT Season 7. Is there anything I should know going into it?
There's a gap between the two seasons, but it gradually gets explained as it progresses. Even if you watched to the end of Season 6, you'd still be scratching your head until things start to make sense.
Frelga wrote:I am beginning to wish for a historical series that is based somewhere other than those few tiny islands, TBH. *grumps off into distance*
Have you checked out the historical dramas of Mussorgsky?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Oh hey, lookie here.

Amazon Takes Catherine the Great, Rasputin Series From Russia's Mars Media
Voronwë the Faithful wrote:6 best films about the mysterious Russian ‘monk’ Rasputin

ETA: There was also reportedly an upcoming film entitled "Rasputin" starring Leonardo DiCaprio in the title role, but I don't know if anything ever came of that.
Starring DiCaprio as WHO??? Are they going to make a movie where Rasputin is hot? :Q
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Netflix binge of Versace: American Crime Story. It's been very good!

What is our fascination with serial killers?
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Ooh, that looks promising. Not seeing it on Prime though.
Frelga wrote: Are they going to make a movie where Rasputin is hot? :Q
Maybe they'll try and uglify him some? Image
Last edited by yovargas on Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Based on this he could probably pull it off.

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

I'm up to the fifth episode of The Crown, and I have a couple of quibbles:

First, they got Queen Mary wrong: they portray her as a wise old woman who gives blunt but good advice; they completely ignore the out-of-control avarice.

Also, why does Wallis Simpson have a British accent?

Apart from this, I absolutely love it.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

In movies made in the 1930s, rich Americans all seem to be trying for a British accent. Maybe it was a finishing-school thing?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I learned a thing.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-Atlantic_accent
The Mid-Atlantic accent, or Transatlantic accent,[1][2][3] is a consciously acquired accent of English, intended to blend together prestigious American and British English (Received Pronunciation) ways of speaking. Adopted in the early 20th century mostly by American aristocrats and actors, it is not a native vernacular or regional American accent. Instead, according to voice and drama professor Dudley Knight, it is an affected set of speech patterns whose "chief quality was that no Americans actually spoke it unless educated to do so".[4] Primarily fashionable in the 1930s and 1940s,[5] the accent was embraced in private independent preparatory schools, especially by members of the Northeastern upper class, as well as in schools for film and stage acting.[6]

Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Ah, okay, that makes sense.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

That explains a lot. I never understood why Americans talked that way in movies. Even Humphrey Bogart does it in some films.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Interestingly, her accent was American to me, but that particular upper class American that is vaguely British.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End