TV obsessions—come on, admit it!

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Re: TV obsessions—come on, admit it!

Post by Jude »

Haven't seen it yet, but I'm considering it. Let me know what you think when you see it!
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I am planning to watch if I can ever catch these things when they're actually on (or on repeat).
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Did anyone see promos for the Young Pope series? What on earth is that supposed to be?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I did, and I'm at a loss, too. I think it's set in the future, so it's not supposed to be a biopic or anything. Right? I am having a hard time with Jude Law as pope, too.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

It looks like Donald Trump as Pope. I'm not even Catholic but it didn't sit well with me.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

http://www.someecards.com/news/tweet-pi ... aw-tweets/

:D

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

So, for my treadmill/jogging/walking times, I've burned through The Crown and now Call the Midwife. (I can't quite make myself go back and finish Mad Men. It was just sort of meh to me.) These longer dramas make for better treadmill material, for some reason. Anyway, I just started Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries. Has anyone else seen this? I'm thoroughly enjoying it so far! The first episode includes our own Éowyn, and the series is set in Oz, 1920s.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

In Melbourne, in fact. It's a tickle seeing all those backgrounds I recognise.

Posting on phone via Tapatalk
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I wondered if it was accurate/actually filmed on location. :D That is very cool!
Nin
Ni Dieu, ni maître

Post by Nin »

I am currently watching Mad Men season 4 on the rowing machine! (I understand why someone might not like it that much....)

I am looking for a spanish spoken series after that to prepare for Guatemala! (Suggestions welcome, if not I'll be looking for DVDs with spanish versions)
"nolite te bastardes carborundorum".
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I tried watching Taboo last night. It wasn't as exciting as the trailers have made it appear.

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I watched eleven minutes of Versailles last night on Netflix.

Gack! Ack! Ptooey!

Fortunately, we've started Stranger Things (finally) and are loving it; and season 2 of The Expanse starts February 8th. So there's a reason to go on living, even in a universe that contains Versailles.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I loved Mad Men. It was like Downton Abbey for 60's America.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

I just started Once Upon a Time. I'm hooked.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I really enjoyed Season 1 but lost interest in Season 2. I'm told it gets better again in later seasons.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

I've just watched two episodes so far. It feels like it should be a miniseries rather than a five-season series. I'm wondering how they can sustain it over five seasons without dragging it out artificially. But time will tell...
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I'm rewatching The West Wing; halfway through series 3. What can I say, it's chicken soup during a time of political armageddon.

Posting on phone via Tapatalk
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

That's a good idea, Impy. I'll keep it in mind.

Mad Men was pretty good; it's just rather bleak and depressing to me. And, honestly, the only character I found myself caring about is Don's wife, Betty. I did not like Peggy or Pete. I've always liked Christina Hendricks, but her character doesn't get enough screen time to keep my interest. Granted, I only made it halfway through season 2....

Once Upon a Time started off well and then jumped the shark at some point. I can't remember when.

What is Taboo about?

Nin, I don't know of any Spanish shows. I wonder if Modern Family (TV sitcom) comes in a Spanish version. You might look into that.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

[Once Upon a Time: I stopped watching after one of the 'good' characters had his heart ripped out by the evil queen. (I don't recall character names anymore-been too long!)

There were too many characters and too many plotlines to keep it straight if you didn't watch every single episode. That was another reason I gave it up.

I absolutely LOVE Call the Midwife! It is SO well done! I'm actually saving most of the episodes to my PVR, because they have moved me so greatly. And I love how they tackle the issues of the times,such as thalidomide, smoking, birth control, etc. One of the most recent ones i saw showed what would happen to a single woman teacher who got pregnant during the 1960's. Her landlady kicked her out, her lover deserted her, and when the landlady blabbed the news to the school, she immediately lost her job. I probably should put the next bit in spoiler tags:
Hidden text.
When she aborted the baby with a coat hanger, and nearly killed herself, she was told she could be charged by the police for killing the baby. Fortunately, the police had pity on her, and dropped the charges. I hope the U.S. isn't going to be forced back to those days by Trump and his "Pro-Lifers"! :rage:
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

So Castle Season 6 ends with a huge cliffhanger. I hate when they do that. :x