TV obsessions—come on, admit it!

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Oo. Oo. Firefly. Me too. :woohoo:
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Hachimitsu
Formerly Wilma

Post by Hachimitsu »

Oh goodness I just found some links on You tube for some stuff from Video on Trial. Last week they had an opera singer as one of the jurors and it was hilarious. Unfortunately the vids from that episode is not up on You tube. If anyone wants links for thestuff I did find just give me a PM I won't post links on the board as some of the humour is very very crass and could harm the intellectual integrity the board. :oops: I can't seem to find some of the more language sensitive "trials".

Did I also mention Meerkat Manor (on Animal Planet) is an extreme guilty pleasure of mine? It's a bona fide soap opera!! :D
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Wilma, feel free to put up the links, just give a warning to people of bad language or whatever so they could avoid clicking if it would bother them.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Griffon64

Post by Griffon64 »

Well, how about today's episode of Lost :shock:
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

:cry:

Not nice to kill off one of my favorite characters! Not nice at all!

:rage:
Griffon64

Post by Griffon64 »

I completely agree with that! :x I was thinking how much the episode rocked, something was happening, and then towards the end, bam! There goes one of my favourite characters :x
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

<Checks Television Without Pity>

I don't even watch the show any more, and I'll join you in your :x . That character kept me watching for quite a while after I'd given up on most of the others.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Careful guys, even stuff like that is a spoiler for people like me. Now I'm gonna spend the first 5 eps wondering who's gonna snuff it.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Hachimitsu
Formerly Wilma

Post by Hachimitsu »

Oh dear Lost. I am ready to give up on Lost. For the past few eps I have been losing patience and after tonight I think I will only watch occassionally now. I really feel the writers do not have a set trajectory for the show, and to be honest that is not what bothers me too much. It's that it's glaringly obvious that they don't have set trajectory. Good writing should be able to cover up the fact that they themselves don't know what is going on. Farscape did not have a set trajectory yet once they worked with some of the early episode they found a way to comepletey turn the show on it's head and have a set trajectory. With that who knew one throw away episode could be so important? I hope Lost can pull a turn around like that. Until then though I have better things to do with my time.

I'll post a link to the safest one Video on Trial link I can find. There a good one with Justin Timberlake but the vid after that I feel would be vary inappropriate (it really deserved to go on trial).

The safest link I found so far is the song, Ridin Dirty by the rapper Chamillionaire. The song is about the police and racial profiling (but for some reason it feels really hollow). Weird Al Yankovic recently came out with the spoof White and Nerdy (that was hilarious I have to say). There are a lot of pop culture references and if people don't get them I could explain it to them. (One of the actors in the video was (or still is) in the WWE formerly the WWF. His name is Zeus and he was in a movie with Hulk Hogan in the 80's. There are quite a few jokes about that so I thought I would give you guys the 411 on that.) EDIT: I finally got the link!!! Enjoy!!! :D

I did say it's a guilty pleasure. ;)
Hachimitsu
Formerly Wilma

Post by Hachimitsu »

A mild bump after the edit. A lot of people I have spoken to on the latest episode on Lost well sort of feel the same way I do. It's supposed to be November sweeps!!! The episodes are suppposed to be good!
Faramond

Post by Faramond »

I think Lost is fabulous. I don't understand all the griping about it. And it's very clear to me from what happened in this last episode that the writers have known what has been going on all along. They do have a set trajectory, and all this anger about losing a character is just silly ... there are so many great characters left, and the story being told in the show is as strong as ever.

edit: Griff just informed me that the character who was offed asked off the show, so this anger should be aimed at him/her, not the writers. :)
Griffon64

Post by Griffon64 »

But that character was one of my favourites!

;)

Well, I agree that this episode at least took one loose end and sort of expanded on it ( but there's more intrigue added on that, too ... though I'd like to discuss it, Alatar reads here too :) - maybe we should do the discussions that may be spoilers in small print or a seperate thread? )

There's still a lot more that I wonder about, though, and I must be honest and say I get a little :scarey: when I think Lost may go five or more seasons. For one thing, they're going to run out of life bodies ;)

And something else that bothers me - how did a tiny little 4 or so seater plane fly all the way around to the other side of the earth? Not that I know that much about the distances these things can cover, but since even a Boeing has a tough time flying that far, and people don't regularly fly their Cessna and Cessna-lookalikes trans-Atlantic as far as I'm aware, I just wondered :)

edit: I read that the character asked off the show - I don't know if it is the whole truth. Before that, I steamed at the writers. Now, I steam at the character :)
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I don't know if this is the case with Wilma, but I've certainly noticed that some people washing their hands of Lost had been deeply frustrated by the long, slow, pointless, bewildering implosion of the X-Files—a show that was brilliant for four or five seasons, until the viewers couldn't help noticing that the writers had no plan and didn't care whether the stories were consistent. They destroyed the mystery, then destroyed the explanation to the mystery, then destroyed the characters. By the end it was too painful to watch. I have the first seasons on DVD but will never again watch any later episode.

Anyway. That's when I stopped watching Lost—when I started getting that feeling again. It may be wrong, but I won't invest more of my time if there's a fair chance it will be wasted again.

If I'm wrong, and the show turns out brilliantly, I can always catch it on DVD.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Faramond wrote:I think Lost is fabulous. I don't understand all the griping about it. And it's very clear to me from what happened in this last episode that the writers have known what has been going on all along. They do have a set trajectory, and all this anger about losing a character is just silly ... there are so many great characters left, and the story being told in the show is as strong as ever.
I absolutely agree with this. I was saddened by the loss of one of my favorites, but I'm not angry at the writers (or the actor). This is still my favorite show, by far, and I like the current twists in the plot.

Although ... I find myself discussing Heroes more often. The mysteries are more fresh.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Thanks Griff. I do appreciate it that people take us Europeans into account! Since this is "TV Obsessions" and not "Lost (including spoilers)" I was happily reading along. It would be great if ye could take spoiler related discussions to another thread. There's a "Lost" thread on B77 that I avoid for this very reason, but at least its clearly tagged.

Cheers,
Alatar

(Incidentally, I ended up getting completely spoiled in an unrelated thread where the character was specifically named :rage: so don't feel too bad.)
Hachimitsu
Formerly Wilma

Post by Hachimitsu »

You know Prim I only occassionallly watched the X-files and I know what you mean . I wasn't a hard core fan of the X files but even in my occaissional viewings I could see the show slowly losing it's consistency and I am getting that feeling with Lost. I really don't want to say too more for fear of inadvertantly spoiling people but I feel the writers don't seem to care about the time investment made by the audience. I would definitely elaborate more in a Lost specific thread. When the writers don't care about the audience and only advertising dollars that is when I stop being a fan of a program.

EDIT: About an actor asking to be written off the show. I think if the writers had a more set trajectory they would be able to outline the role to a potential candidate better so the potential candidate could evaluate if they could make the time committment. The writers don't seemto know which character is worth having long term and which characters are.. expendable to the plot. If it was good writing most of the featured characters would actually have a point in the current plot. It would harm the plot if they killed off.

For Farscape, although they got cancelled, they had at least had character outlines a year in advance for even some of the minor characters of the cast. To do that they had to know the actor could commit a year in advance. Heck even one character who they had to kill off because the actor had health problems the writers wanted to bring the character back in another way. That is how important even their dead chacters were. I don't see that with Lost.

When a character dies on Lost their flash backs die with them and become practically pointless. I feel a lot of time on flash backs of these deceased characters lives were a complete waste of my time as they don't contribute to the current plot.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Yes, that was my problem with the X-Files. I really want to feel that there is a story to tell and that it will be told. That's what I loved about B5: the story was there from Season 1, Episode 1, to Season 5, Episode 22 <sob>.

I could tell that there was some improvisation and retconning on Farscape, but it was all redeemed by the fact that the creators wanted to tell a complete story—and, with fan help (:hug: thanks again, so much, Wilma), they finally did.

This is why I own all of Farscape and all of B5: they're complete stories, and so I can revisit them and enjoy them. This is why I'm afraid to spend more time on Lost: I dislike incomplete or aimless stories, and I'm afraid that's what is going to happen.

I think a spoiler-allowed Lost thread might be a good idea, although I'm not the right one to start it. :)
Hachimitsu
Formerly Wilma

Post by Hachimitsu »

I am very eager to get into B5 knowing it was mostly written before the series was even filmed. :D
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

You won't be disappointed Wilma. Just remember it's quite old now so a lot of the effects have dated. The story, however, has not.
PrinceAlarming
Interferes With Natural Selection

Post by PrinceAlarming »

I liked X-Files more when they didn't focus on the big picture and instead did these little pieces about strange and freaky things... Like the Twilight Zone. Each episode was really a little piece of art, almost theatre really.

I have a hard time watching TV shows.

I like MASH.

Okay, I watch Grey's Anatomy sometimes if it's on.

Okay, I TIVO Grey's Anatomy...
...for a friend.

Star Trek rocks.