TV obsessions—come on, admit it!

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

Tell me about it! Kind of freaky actuallyi ;), especially as it's located in pretty much the exact spot Sunnydale is ;).

And actually, as I look over Season 1 here... I must say it's not as easy to skip as you seem to think :). Some of the funniest jokes YEARS later are founded on events in season one. They dialogue isn't as good, but the events are important, and every episode helps set up the characters.
For the TROUBLED may you find PEACE
For the DESPAIRING may you find HOPE
For the LONELY may you find LOVE
For the SKEPTICAL may you find FAITH
-Frances C. Arrillaga 1941-1995
nerdanel
This is Rome

Post by nerdanel »

Really? Sunnydale was supposed to be in the South Bay? :scratch: I didn't think it was that far north. I thought it was just a couple of hours away from LA (Sunnyvale is around 400 miles north of LA.)

What are you referring to, with season 1? I mean, I recall a lot of references in later seasons to Xander's, er, interest in a teacher, the ignored girl, obviously setting up Amy's history is important, and so on...but I feel like a lot of times, you recall the S1 backstory when you hear the later jokes. Now, obviously it helps to watch S1 once, but I think that if someone starts watching S1 and feels like it's "too high school", it's better for them to watch the four episodes I mentioned - which give you the crucial backstory - and then start Season 2. Seems like it'd be easier to go back and fill in the S1 episodes if you really want to later, then struggle through them and give up on the series.

I mean...I bought Season 1 in July 2004, and I didn't watch it until December 2004 (with many aborted attempts in between.) And the reason I finally watched it? Ended up in Virginia with no other DVDs over winter break (I had actually decided *not* to watch Buffy and thus hadn't taken the DVDs back to school with me. So then, they were the only ones in my room at home.)
I won't just survive
Oh, you will see me thrive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform
No matter how you shake my core
'Cause my roots, they run deep, oh

When, when the fire's at my feet again
And the vultures all start circling
They're whispering, "You're out of time,"
But still I rise
This is no mistake, no accident
When you think the final nail is in, think again
Don't be surprised, I will still rise
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

Well, I can get to sunnyvale from LA in what seems like "a couple of hours" ;)

I guess I've driven the route so many times it all blends together...

It all depends on traffic anyway ;)

(I get kind of spoilery here if that bothers you)

I don't know about Season one... I mean... looking through the list there are probably 3 that I don't really "enjoy" watching... "Teacher's Pet" which is still crucial for Xander's character. Then "Never Kill a Boy on the First Date" which is one of few episodes devoted to the season one "arc," and is also crucial to setting up Buffy's character, with her almost pathalogical need to have a boyfriend. And also "I, Robot... You, Jane" which I would argue is the crucial episode setting up Willow's character... at least for the first few seasons.

The production quality is lower, for sure (you can tell just by the sound of the opening credits), and the actors didn't have quite a full handle on their characters... but I guess I just think it provides a lot... and you get to see them progress from what even THEY thought was kind of a cheesy horror show... to something much more :)
nerdanel
This is Rome

Post by nerdanel »

I really don't like Teacher's Pet and I Robot, You Jane. OTOH, I remember liking NKABOTFD.

Buffy's obsessive desire to have a boyfriend was one of the annoying things about the series. I mean, Angel...okay. The season 3 love interest guy (can't remember the name), completely not credible (and more so for me because I'd seen QAF first, and the same actor plays Justin's boyfriend far more credibly.) But Parker? I mean, you should be smarter than that by 18. :P Then Riley, which...there are no words for how much I hate Buffy and Riley together. Marc Blucas does a stellar job of being an annoying, insecure guy who can't give Buffy what she needs and can't just leave either. And Spike...I thought that Buffy's and Spike's affair was hot, earthy, and it made perfect sense to me that that was what she wanted after "The Gift." But seeing Spike chase her around like a lovesick puppy, and then "Seeing Red" - gah. B/S in Season 7 aren't too bad, but I was really glad to hear her give Angel (and, I guess, eavesdropper Spike) the "cookie dough" talk I've quoted in other contexts before. She needed to be on her own, without a boyfriend, living her life. Brilliant! And then "The Girl in Question," we find out that she's off with the Immortal. :roll:

Sorry, I just needed to rant about Buffy and her long list of failed romances. But yes, you're definitely right - from the get go, she has to be with a guy, but she doesn't really understand what she's looking for, for a long time. First, it's all about Angel (and if you ask me, it's ALWAYS all about Angel :P /B/A shipper here). Then, she thinks she wants a normal guy. That bombs at least three times in a row. Then she thinks she wants "some demon in her man," but she gets emotionally abusive with Spike. Then, cookie dough, and she's off with Angel's and Spike's nemesis. What the heck is that girl doing? Gah.

(apparently not done venting)

I wasn't really a fan of any of the three main characters' relationships. Xander and Anya somehow...works (until it doesn't)...but neither of them are favorite characters of mine. Willow/Tara is sweet but boring. Willow/Kennedy is hot, but Kennedy is a whiny brat. Willow/Oz would probably be second for me relative to Buffy/Angel.

But, FTR, Faith and ANYONE is the hottest thing since sliced bread.

ETA hal - do you want to do a Buffy discussion thread? I might even be persuaded to rewatch Season 1 that way? Might.
I won't just survive
Oh, you will see me thrive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform
No matter how you shake my core
'Cause my roots, they run deep, oh

When, when the fire's at my feet again
And the vultures all start circling
They're whispering, "You're out of time,"
But still I rise
This is no mistake, no accident
When you think the final nail is in, think again
Don't be surprised, I will still rise
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

LOL

yeah, Buffy/Angel and Willow/Oz would be my favorites, but I liked Spike so much by the end I was pulling for Buffy/Spike ;). I also was always pulling for Wesley/Fred :)
TheTennisBallKid
Location: The East of East, Fighting Wild Were-worms in The Last Desert

Post by TheTennisBallKid »

I just finished watching Babylon 5. Started a few months ago with the pilot, unspoiled, knowing only that it had been written by one person, and with an overall story arc.

I was lukewarm to it at first, but started liking it by the end of the first season.

The middle three seasons are incredible.

I watched the finale last night.

Waaah. :bawl:

And now it's done. Hmmph.

ttbk
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Yes, "Sleeping in Light" has been known to reduce strong men and women to weeping wrecks. :( Coming after those five seasons . . . Waaah!

And I think you're right: the middle three seasons are amazing. In season 1 it's finding its way (although an awful lot of seeds are sown for later), and season 5 was an unfortunate victim of Strazcynski not knowing until AFTER season 4 was written and filmed that there was going to be a season 5. "Sleeping in Light" was filmed as the last episode of season 4 and then held back to the end of the show.

"Z'ha'dum" was what made me understand what that show was. So brilliantly written it left Mr. Prim and me staring at the screen with our mouths hanging open.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

We are re-watching Bab 5 again now. :) We just finished season 1 and it's quite good.

We've also been watching "Eureka" on the sci fi channel. I think I like it...

And we are hooked on Dr. Who, too. :) Finally got to see the first & second episode of season 2 this weekend. What's really weird, is when I remember the end of the first episode, I'm seeing Christopher Eccelsten's face and hearing his voice! Even though I know it's the new guy playing the part, unless I really concentrate, I see the old actor in my memory. :scratch: Good acting? Or good writing? I dunno, but it's a weird effect. :)
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

We all piled onto the couch and watched Dr. Who this weekend, too. Good times. I am so grateful they started it up again, and that they're doing it so well. It's really got something for the whole family.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Mr. Prim and I watched the two-hour Battlestar Galactica premiere last night, rather like this:

:shock: :shock:

People who give this a miss because it is science fiction and they think it must be escapist twaddle like the original BSG in the 1970s are really short-changing themselves. It's an adult political drama first and foremost: sharp, hard-edged, brilliantly written and acted. And it does what written SF does so often and TV SF so rarely: it uses its "elsewhere" setting to comment directly on our own tiimes and our own concerns.

What I appreciate even more is that it pulls no punches. It's dark and fierce and sad. Bad things happen to good people, and good people make serious mistakes. It's not that there is never any hope or any triumph, but it comes about as rarely as you would expect in a story that begins with the extermination of 99.999% of the human race. The undercurrent of grief is still strong in season 3, and the big questions—why go on? what do we have to hope for?—still stand, though there are beginning to be a few answers (love, fellowship, children . . .).

If you've been avoiding this because you're sure it's a cheesy waste of time, consider giving it a try.
Hachimitsu
Formerly Wilma

Post by Hachimitsu »

Current guilty pleasures on TV... Much Music's Video On Trial where they have comedians and other personalities point out the total lack of logic in many music videos. It's absolutely hilarious. Many of the jokes are off colour but lordy it's funny. Also it helps people to be critical of what is presented in the media. Goodness it's so funny!!!!! :rofl:

Also at times I catch Most Extreme Elimination Challenge. Sheer slapstick humour with some more inappropriate jokes. The hosts do an english voice over on a Japanese gameshow that aired in the 80's.

Dog the Bounty Hunter. People who are so tough yet so sweet. :love:

Criss Angel Mindfreak. A magic show hosted by Criss Angel who is an illusionist and escape artist. I only had it on in the background while doing household chores until I discovered Criss is a cat lover. Now I watch the show religiously and I even catch the late night rerun. :oops:

Miami Ink. I never knew getting a tatoo could be so emotional :)
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Not to be off topic or anything, but gosh, it's good to see you, Wilma! :hug:
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I was thinking just the same thing. :love:

(Also, how much I appreciate being around people who use words like "lordy", "goodness" and "gosh".)

Wilma, I would check those shows out, if I had a TV that was connected to the outside world. :oops:
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

I'm watching a lot of TV (too much) these days because Gary feels like doing little else and likes to have company.

Current favorites: "Lost," "Heroes" and "Jericho."
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Read a review of Jericho this morning that says the show is better than it was at the start and that it could be the hit of the year.

Not much of a TV watcher, myself. But I do love "Holmes on Homes". Mike is a hunk, and he sure knows how to use his tools. ;)
Dig deeper.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

My kids love "Lost." I lost patience with it (I still believe the writers themselves have no idea what's really going on). I watch "House" sometimes, except sometimes I can't face a hospital show (I get queasy—go figure). We've been enjoying "Studio 60" in a mild way.

And we watch cooking and home shows for relaxation.

I try not to miss Battlestar Galactica, and we always watch Doctor Who, although not the same night it's on (thank heavens for DVRs).
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Oh, did I forget to mention "Doctor Who"? That's another on the must-see list. :)

I still have faith in "Lost." We shall learn more. We shall learn the secrets of the island. We shall see more shirtless scenes of Sawyer or Jin or Sayid. :D

"Heroes" has had some very satisfying (to me) twists and turns, and a few genuine shocks. But it could still disappoint.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

"Heroes" intrigues me, I have to admit. I didn't know what it was when it started, though.

If it's on iTunes, I might check it out.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

I think you can download either entire episodes or 2-minute summaries at nbc.com.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Thanks, Wampus!

That's such a smart thing for them to do.