TV obsessions—come on, admit it!

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

24 is suspenseful, well-acted, and well-written, but also quite violent.

There is some political commentary sprinkled in this year that I'm enjoying.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Glawariel

Post by Glawariel »

WampusCat wrote: But then, I never watched 24, so I don't know what I'm missing. :)
You should just know that should you decide to start watching 24-once you go Jack, you can't ever go back :D
Speaking of which, Jack was back in wonderful "Jack Baur" form this past week with the whole "Jack, you're already hurting me" "Trust me, I'm really not" bit. Ah, Jack :love:.
Home is behind, the world ahead
And there are many paths to tread
Through shadow til the edge of night
Until the stars are all alight
Mist and shadow, cloud and shade
All shall fade, all shall fade
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Right now it Grey's Anatomy. we're about to hit the Season 2 finale over here and I'm tempted to just go download Season 3!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

I watch Mythbusters. I don't have to worry about missing episodes. That's good, seeing as I only get to watch when I go over to my best friend's house or when we're in a motel room. :D
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

This post is for Wampus, who was regretting the cancellation of Jericho in a thread I can't find now. :P

The fan protest was apparently successful; there will be more Jericho!
June 6, 2007

To the Fans of Jericho:

Wow!

Over the past few weeks you have put forth an impressive and probably unprecedented display of passion in support of a prime time television series. You got our attention; your emails and collective voice have been heard.

As a result, CBS has ordered seven episodes of “Jericho” for mid-season next year. In success, there is the potential for more. But, for there to be more “Jericho,” we will need more viewers.

A loyal and passionate community has clearly formed around the show. But that community needs to grow. It needs to grow on the CBS Television Network, as well as on the many digital platforms where we make the show available.

We will count on you to rally around the show, to recruit new viewers with the same grass-roots energy, intensity and volume you have displayed in recent weeks.

At this time, I cannot tell you the specific date or time period that “Jericho” will return to our schedule. However, in the interim, we are working on several initiatives to help introduce the show to new audiences. This includes re-broadcasting “Jericho” on CBS this summer, streaming episodes and clips from these episodes across the CBS Audience Network (online), releasing the first season DVD on September 25 and continuing the story of Jericho in the digital world until the new episodes return. We will let you know specifics when we have them so you can pass them on.

On behalf of everyone at CBS, thank you for expressing your support of “Jericho” in such an extraordinary manner. Your protest was creative, sustained and very thoughtful and respectful in tone. You made a difference.

Sincerely,

Nina Tassler
President, CBS Entertainment

P.S. Please stop sending us nuts :)
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I take a wee bit of credit.

I called the network, signed online petitions, and registered and posted (minimally) at the CBS message board and other Jericho-specific boards. What, you couldn't figure out who JerichoCat was? :D

I did not, however, send nuts. Although I was tempted ...

This news makes my day. :woohoo:

Now, ahem, I must insist that you all watch the new episodes whenever they appear. No excuses.

* scurries off to bounce joyfully
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

:hug: Fine work, JerichoCat!

Maybe I can catch up on it this summer. I haven't seen it yet, but the fact that you like it is a strong recommendation.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Well, it may not be everyone's cup of tea, but obviously I'm not the only one who enjoyed it. The fans were rather passionate about saving it from cancellation.

I was initially drawn to "Jericho" because I've always had a weird fascination with post-nuclear holocaust stories. I wanted to see how that was handled. The characters and plot twists hooked me.

And now I can find out what happens next! :woohoo:

Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Remember when Roswell was cancelled and teenagers all over the country sent bottles of tabasco sauce to the network?

:rofl:

The first season of that show was good, but when they did renew it in response to demand, the second season pretty much stunk.
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

I haven't seen any Jericho, because it was on on Tuesday nights while I was at Orchestra. I also missed desperate housewives, for the same reason. :x

I still love the Simpsons.
Why is the duck billed platypus?
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

My TV obsession is Friends.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Northerner

Post by Northerner »

Still a big fan of Lost, and I'm hoping for good things next season. Counting down the days til the Battlestar Galactica final season. Just started watching the latter the second half of season 3, and had to backtrack for the rest of it, and now I'm on a rewatch from season 1. Great, great TV.

Also a Jericho fan here, and proud to have been one of the people who convinced CBS to reinstate it in the schedule after they cancelled it. Reminded me of the letter writing I did on behalf of Star Trek a few decades ago! I wish we'd tried that with the much lamented Invasion.
WampusCat- I'm a big fan of PA fiction, too. I just replaced my wornout copy of Alas, Babylon.

24 lost me this season, but I'll give it a try when it returns.

Anyone else watch Prison Break? A bit 'out there' in believability, but I love the cast.

I recently got hooked on cooking reality shows, like Top Chef and Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares, and my guilty pleasure is The Amazing Race, which actually sometimes is quite amazing. :D

I do think that we're in a second golden age of TV. I didn't watch anything for years on end, now I have to DVR to keep up!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Ooo, Mr. Prim and I got started watching Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares on BBC America, and we can't put it down.

I know so many people who love THE AMAZING RACE, but I feel as if I missed the boat on that one.

I dropped out of 24 this season, and also gave up on LOST, though my kids tell me it came back very strong at the end of the season.

Still, hands down, best writing on television: Battlestar Galactica. Those who sneer because of the title have no idea what they're missing.
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

I love Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares! It's such a fun show, though he can be really hard on some of those guys! One of my favorite episodes was the soul food restaurant...Mama so-and-so's soul food. She was fun and I'd love to eat there.

I finally got the Battlestar Galactica movie sent to me by Blockbuster (been waiting months with it saying it was available). I'm stuck at the beginning of season 3 with Babylon 5 because some jerk is holding on to the first disc. :rage:

Anyone else here love Dirty Jobs? I think Mike Rowe is awesome.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Argh! That's a tough spot to be stopped at on B5! You've got my sympathy.

As for BSG, the opening miniseries is, to a lot of people, the weakest part of the series. If you have doubts about it after watching that, do go ahead and watch "33" and "Water," the first two episodes of the actual series. They are excellent, gripping television.

I didn't see the miniseries until after I'd watched the first season, and it didn't matter; I knew the setup for the show, and roughly who the characters were, so it all worked. (I did enjoy the miniseries, just didn't think it was in the same league as the rest.)
Lurker
Crazy Canuck

Post by Lurker »

Nothener,
I'm addicted to the Amazing Race. I just wish they let Canadians join as contestants. Me and my best friend always wanted to join. Well, lucky for him, he's on the road to American citizenship since he got residency in a Chicago hospital for so long. Maybe he can convince the producers to let an American and a Canadian join. :P

I love Top Chef as well since I do love to cook. My latest obsession is "Hell's Kitchen"! I love to be on that show!!! Unfortunately, I don't have much culinary background just took a few lessons in Asian cusine that's it, most of the French and Spanish cooking I learned from my grandmother. Princess (my wife) said "I can't believe you want to work with Chef Ramsay. The guy is so scary!" :rofl: My house is tuned in to the Food Network most of the time unless Princess changes it to CMT.

I just got hooked watching "The Riches", that's show is amazing! Eddie Lizard and Minnie Driver are very good actors.

I heard Corner Gas is going to be on the US TV sets soon. Better watch this show, it's so funny!!! I heard somebody in the US likes to have "Little Mosque in the Prarie" as well, man, that show is similar to Corner Gas but makes fun of cultural differences and religion in an innocent way. Nothing racist about it, in fact, I learned a lot from that show.
“Lawyers are the only persons in whom ignorance of the law is not punished.” - Jeremy Bentham (1748 - 1832)
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

Oh, boy, did I love Babylon 5! Nostalgia overwhelms me! Season 3's a good one, too! Maybe the best!

And I just saw much of the first season of Battlestar Galactica while visiting friends -- how's the second season? Worth continuing?

The only wicked indulgence for me these days is Big Love (you know: polygamy = Brady Bunch + The Sopranos), but it's becoming a bit over-the-top on the soprano-ish side, I'm afraid.
Northerner

Post by Northerner »

Lurker-my husband is the cook in this household, and loves all the cooking shows, and we both watch all the Ramsay shows and Top Chef. Did you know that Fox is going to have an American version of Kitchen Nightmares in the fall?

Teremia- Battlestar Season 3 is my favorite, but Season 2 is well worth it.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Northerner, I too wish we had put up a bigger fuss about the cancellation of Invasion. I really wanted to see where that one would go. :(

Northerner

Post by Northerner »

WampusCat wrote:Northerner, I too wish we had put up a bigger fuss about the cancellation of Invasion. I really wanted to see where that one would go. :(
So did I. I did buy the DVDs, just for consolation. And to rewatch the amazing William Fitchner. :love: