Making Music With Other People

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Teremia wrote:I thought I'd go ahead and bump this to say send good vibes my direction February 12th. I'm playing the solo (violin) part in Vivaldi's Spring that day with my community orchestra, and it's a doozy. I've been working so hard since they broke the news to me :D; I've been inching that metronome dial up tick by tick. I just really want it to go all right, since it's something I would never have thought I could do, and now it looks like I might be able to pull it off!

trembles slightly
Oh, that sounds great! How about dropping your local friends some info about the performance so they can cheer for you in person? :horse: In a gentile, non-disruptive way, of course.

Although come to think about it, I'm not gentile in any sense of the word. 8)
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
cemthinae
TTBK's cemmie

Post by cemthinae »

Thanks, Jewelsong. For the life of me I couldn't remember how to spell it... went with the first thing that came to mind.

:D

As I so often do!
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Just posting here to show off my new Sig Pic, which explains what I'll be doing for the next two weeks!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Really? How cool! 8) Definitely the best character to be.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Yeah, its great fun. The chance to play a really over the top character doesn't come along too often. Also, my singing bits are finished early in the show so I can relax once they're over. It's high though, so I'll be watching my voice all week. No parties for this Lion!
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

Alatar, have fun! My first Halloween costume (at least, the first one I remember and first one of which there's photographic documentation) was the Cowardly Lion. My mother sewed it, and I was in heaven. I was the most fanatical Oz fan in the universe, and I say that knowing there's a lot of competition out there.

Frelga! If you want to come, it's at Zion Lutheran Church at 4. There's a raffle at intermission which is always the high point for my kids. The other things we're doing are a set of Norwegian Dances by Grieg and a brand-new dance-inspired symphony by a woman named McTee. It's not quite the SF Symphony :D :D :D, but we're good-hearted.
cemthinae
TTBK's cemmie

Post by cemthinae »

"Ease on down, Ease on down the rooooad!"

Have fun, Alatar! :D
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

You look cute as a lion, Alatar! :D

Good luck and have fun! :cheerleader:

I'm sure they'll say "Well roared, lion!" ;) :D
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

"Let him roar again!" :D

Just saw that play three times (my son was Theseus).
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Oh, Alatar, I'm sure it will be thoroughly enjoyable fun!

Break a leg.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Teremia wrote:Frelga! If you want to come, it's at Zion Lutheran Church at 4. There's a raffle at intermission which is always the high point for my kids. The other things we're doing are a set of Norwegian Dances by Grieg and a brand-new dance-inspired symphony by a woman named McTee. It's not quite the SF Symphony :D :D :D, but we're good-hearted.
Grieg! That seals it. DS fell in love with the Hall of the Mountain King on the radio, maybe he'll like the Dances, too. I'm so there!
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Rowanberry
Bregalad's Lost Entwife

Post by Rowanberry »

Break a leg, Alatar! 8)
See the world as your self.
Have faith in the way things are.
Love the world as your self;
then you can care for all things.
~ Lao Tzu
Athrabeth

Post by Athrabeth »

Well.........I listened to "The Four Seasons" yesterday while I was marking math tests.............made the job ever so much nicer. :love:

How did your performance go, Teremia?

How did Teremia's performance go, Frelga? 8)

And Alatar........how goes it with "The Wiz"?

Who could be so lucky? Who comes to a lake for water and sees the reflection of moon.
Jalal ad-Din Rumi
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Opening last night went well. The audience are loving it but it's extremely hard work for the leads. Once we hit the stage we don't leave it which is exhausting, particularly if you're wearing a fur mane. My two songs are also extremely high in my range so thats a struggle also. I have a few pics that I can post later.
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

Well, I think your friendly listening must have helped, Athrabeth! It went like a charm. There was this moment on the last page where I realized I was past all the really tricky places and thought I think I've pulled it off! and just started grinning like a fool. People stood up!

I've learned something very important:

Every now and then an old dog can learn a new trick.

When I was a serious student (though more of piano than violin -- though I was taking violin lessons and practicing and all), back in my distant youth, in high school, say -- I could not have done this. I could not have played this piece with an orchestra and so fast!! :D I can't tell you how moving it is to have been able to do something like this. Truly a once-in-a-lifetime thing. But that "once" went well!

Alatar, that sounds like so much fun! I would so love to come see the show.... :)
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Congratulations, Teremia! :love: How I wish I could have heard your performance!

And what an example you set for us old dogs, too. I've got a piano downstairs I haven't touched in months, and a viola in the closet in need of repair. . . .

Alatar, that sounds absolutely grueling, but we all know you love it! :D I just wish we could all get tickets to the show.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Don't worry! When I get the Video/DVD I'll digitize a few clips for you, assuming my voice holds out that long! I'll even provide the complete show on DVD by mail to anyone who really, really wants one. :)
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Teremia :bow:

Alatar :bow:

:love:
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Here's a pic of me in action on Dress rehearsal night:

You can view more pics here:
http://www.shannonmusical.com/modules.p ... _album.php
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

Woohoo, Teremia! :cheerleader:
It sounds just awesome! Congrats on the successful concert! :D 8)

Alatar, you are such a cuddly lion! :D Can't wait for clips from the performance! :banana:
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.