Making Music With Other People

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

truehobbit wrote:Very nice post, Lali - how was your concert? :)
Thanks, hobby! It went very well. We sang it the best that we ever had, I think. I found it to be quite powerful (not with every song, but with several). Our director was pleased. I was glad that I didn't mess up any of my narration lines. So, yeah, it went very well.

I got to play Christmas carols with a brass sextet last night. That was pretty fun, too! That's the largest group I've played in in quite a while. Our normal Praise Band has anywhere from 5-7 of us. Last night, there were 9, and we don't have any brass unless our director plays his trombone or trumpet.

Anyway, thanks for asking. :)

Lali
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Lalaith, I've said it before and I'll say it again, you amaze me.

How on earth do you find time to do all that you do? *whine* I don't think I ever had that much energy in my life.

One day I'll come to one of your concerts. I'll be able to sit and nod proudly and say, "Hey, I know that woman! Isn't she great?"

And I feel the same way about the hope that I can one day see Voronwë beatin' on them drums. :D

All you musical types, I admire and envy you. I love music, but I can neither sing nor play and so my life is a ruin..............

Well, not really a ruin. I mean, I have a CD player and all. :D
Dig deeper.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

:oops:

I don't know, vison. This was actually depressing me yesterday. I was thinking that I'm definitely doing too much, at the expense of my family, I'm afraid. (I was having a bad mommy day.) Eh, I won't get into it more here, but it was definitely part of the reason I was down yesterday.

Anyway, your life is most definitely NOT a ruin because you say you can't sing or play. I'll bet you can sing. I know very few people who are tone deaf, and that's about the only thing I can think of that really translates into someone who can't sing.

Lali
Hachimitsu
Formerly Wilma

Post by Hachimitsu »

I just started reading this thread and I did not know you played the violin TP. Be still my heart!!!! I also, used to play and have severely fallen out of practice (I also used to play the viola too). I seriously want to start up again since I have missed it so much it's been at least 5 years.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Wilma, its so hard to do everything, isn't it. You have so many interests, its a wonder to me where you find the time. But I do hope that you go back to making music. :)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
nerdanel
This is Rome

Post by nerdanel »

Wilma - now I definitely want to chat about violin music with you at some point! If I'd known you played, I'd have been sure to bring it up during our conversations in August. (Teremia - you too - I had no idea you played!)

What caused you to stop playing? And if you went back, would you go back to violin, viola, or both? I haven't played much for the past year, and it's been a combination of school, new interests, not wanting to devote the money to private lessons right now, and wondering what the point is. My violin skills were at their highest between 10-13, during the time that I was most seriously considering the possibility of a professional career in violin open. Once I decided not to do that (primarily due to intense discouragement of the "How on earth are you planning to support yourself, and you should be going to professional school anyway..." sort from certain authority figures in my life), I felt as though the ultimate goal of all those hours of practice and hard work wasn't there anymore, so it wasn't worth it. I only improved slowly after that, although I kept up that level of skill through the end of college. Then, the above factors kicked in.

I still have issues with the concept of being an "amateur" - of playing "only" for the pleasure of it, or for the joy of making something beautiful with other people. Of course those are the main reasons that anyone should play, whether amateur or professional. But I am very goal-oriented, and I struggle to think of those aims as the end-goal...I guess, for the first ten years I played the violin, those were pleasant side benefits, not the ultimate goal. If I could just change my attitude about this - and accept that I've now lost a fair amount of skill that I'll have to work to regain - I think that the violin could again be such a beautiful thing for me.

Right now, though, it seems threatening and foreign - a reminder of dreams unpursued and abilities allowed to diminish. I have it in my room at school and I try not to glance at it too often. I haven't played since the day I met Frelga for lunch in July (which I remember because I was picking my violin up from the repair place right before we met).

WOW, I did not mean to ramble like that.
I won't just survive
Oh, you will see me thrive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform
No matter how you shake my core
'Cause my roots, they run deep, oh

When, when the fire's at my feet again
And the vultures all start circling
They're whispering, "You're out of time,"
But still I rise
This is no mistake, no accident
When you think the final nail is in, think again
Don't be surprised, I will still rise
Hachimitsu
Formerly Wilma

Post by Hachimitsu »

I am thinking over what you have said TP. I am sorry Voronwë I was actually going to talk a bit about an orchestra festival I went to when I used to play but I was so excited to see there was another violin player among us. :) I think it was Prim who played the viola too right? I knew Teremia played. :)

Anyway TP, for me I started playing much older then most kids were supposed to start the violin so I think in part that is why I have a different view. I started playing at 14. Everyone was really surprised by my progress since I went through the first 4 books of the Suzuki method in one year. For me it was always going to be a hobby although my teacher did suggest that if I continued with my practicing I could have paid for University partly. ( I really regret giving it up in part because of that).

I had to work really really hard to convince my parents to get me lessons since it was so expensive but once I proved to them that I was commited (by borrowing a violin for my first 3 months of playing), they then invested. I really really enjoyed that sense of accomplishment of practing a piece for months and then finally after all that hard work it just totally clicks. Whether it happened in practice sessions or on stage that was the best part for me. I really feel like I am on cloud 9. I ended up playing viola since our group needed some but no one wanted to play them (violas? ugh was the sentiment). So our music director had to get some on loan and demystify the viola for some of us. (I had planned to buy a viola but then I stopped playing). Basically most viola players were 1st violins that came in to beef up the viola section for certain pieces (lots of walking across the stage at certain points). So many times people would ask me why I'd have 2 violins. Then I always had to explain and demonstrate they were actually different intruments. I loved that moment of enlightenment people would get once they realized they are different. :) If I had my way I would play both. They both have different personalities I think (violas even have their own cleff!!! How exclusive is that!!! ;) ).

The reason I stopped playing was the same practical reasons as you, time and money for lessons. Once I started University there simply was no time. It was a struggle in the later part of high school to practice as much as I wanted to. Then when I ended up taking time off from school I really did not want to do any hobbies or at least any of my old hobbies (I have been told that was a symptom of depression) and I was too burnt out to a degree. Also, it does suck trying to play again and seeing how much ability I have lost. But the thing is the threads are still there the basic ability is there and I believe that if I actually practice it will come back. Heck I started old in the first place and I did well so a hiatus I guess doesen't really bother me. Also, there is a possibility I may never get that good again since I have concerns about arthritis. But then again professional musicians end up with those same type of issues so if it dosen't stop them, it shouldn't stop me.

Also, another part of the appeal is, I still have a lot to learn. I was never really too interested in the technical aspects or heck even the names of the pieces really. I only really cared about the challenge and if they were fun to play. I don't even have a really well trianed ear and can't tune a violin properly (shhhhh).

As time has gone on without me playing I find I think about it alot. Especially when I hear my favourite pieces. Currently there is Corelli's Christmas concerto in some commericial for pots or something and everytime I hear it I think about how much fun that piece was to play whether it was the solo part or the viola part (the cello part is nice too).

Another thing is I really liked was the people teaching me. They really pushed me to do more since they believed I could really do it (sometimes they were quite tricksy). There were several things I never would have done if it wasn't for their encouragement. I find I really underestimate myself. I really enjoyed being in an orchestra and sadly there was a great deal of politics going on that really sucked the enjoyment out of playing for me. Even now when I talk about playing people can see how much that garbage really reduced my enjoyment. In fact I used to really associate that negative stuff with playing so I guess that is also a part of why I stopped. After high school I really didn't want to be apart of that particular orchestra anymore. There was all kinds of gossip and divorces/affairs going on and I did not feel it was appropriate for the kids (in the orchestra) to get involved in it. Alot of us were caught in the middle. I ended up being a chaperone for when we went to the orchestra festival and the rest of the gang came over and informed me of a lot of what was going on and it was quite an eye opener and no mistake!!! ( I really stayed away from the 'issues'). So anyway alot of things changed, but now my desire to play has really outweighed my issues with all that other stuff. But I do need to find a teacher that is affordable on my meager income.
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

I thought I'd go ahead and bump this to say send good vibes my direction February 12th. I'm playing the solo (violin) part in Vivaldi's Spring that day with my community orchestra, and it's a doozy. I've been working so hard since they broke the news to me :D; I've been inching that metronome dial up tick by tick. I just really want it to go all right, since it's something I would never have thought I could do, and now it looks like I might be able to pull it off!

trembles slightly
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Thats amazing Teremia. You have my respect!
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

:bow:

Good luck, Teremia... although it's not really luck, it's hard work on your part. I'm sure you'll sound wonderful.
Voronwë the Faithful

Wowsa! :bow:
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Wowsa indeed! May your bow be as light and speedy as a hummingbird, Teremia! We will indeed be sending you vibes on the 12th .... and make sure to get a recording.

Jn
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Teremia! Wow! :shock:

How wonderful to be able to play something so beautiful! I'll be thinking of you on the 12th!
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

:cheers: Good luck - I'm sure it will be wonderful!

Any chance this event will be recorded?
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

Oh, thank you all so much! I was so touched to come by and find all of these good wishes!

The whole experience is a little bit like climbing Mount Everest for me :D -- without the glaciers and the oxygen tanks, of course, though an oxygen tank might not be such a bad idea, come to think of it.

I was the oldest child in my family, and we all started the violin at almost the same time, so I was always a bit older than the others and certainly never the real violinist in the crowd (that was my younger sister, who became a professional). I switched to viola in high school and played less and less from graduate school on -- until my oldest child started violin lessons, at which time I got out an old fiddle that was hanging around under the piano and started playing, too. And one thing led to another..... :)

Vivaldi's Spring is such a beautiful piece -- and that solo bit is unbelievably hard. (to do in front of people, I mean -- you know how it is!) When I was young, I would never ever ever have thought that in my dotage I would finally begin to be a violinist! :D It goes to show that you never know what good surprises there may be in life. I do hope it goes all right!

(You've really buoyed me up so much! Thank you! :love:)
Voronwë the Faithful

I notice you didn't answer the question of whether it was going to be recorded. =:)
Athrabeth

Post by Athrabeth »

Teremia, I'll make sure to play my Nigel Kennedy "Four Seasons" CD on the 12th.........and think of you! :hug:

Who could be so lucky? Who comes to a lake for water and sees the reflection of moon.
Jalal ad-Din Rumi
cemthinae
TTBK's cemmie

Post by cemthinae »

Wow, Teremia! That sounds great! :D You'll do wonderful, I'm sure! You have this spirit that comes across in your posts... I'm sure it surfaces in your playing as well!

I am in the process of rebuilding my ambushure. I was persuaded to join the chamber orchestra for our church's combined community Good Friday service... and the music is amazingly difficult! We're talking professional grade music. I'm still quite uncomfortable with my abilities right now, but practice, practice, practicing right now... :blackeye:
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

I am in the process of rebuilding my ambushure
Psst...Cem...it's embouchure
Music.
1. The mouthpiece of a woodwind or brass instrument.
2. The manner in which the lips and tongue are applied to such a mouthpiece.
[French, from emboucher, to put or go into the mouth, from Old French : en-, in; see en-1 + bouche, mouth (from Latin bucca, cheek).]

One of them French words, don't you know. ;)

And it's the first thing to go when you don't practice for a while. :( But it will return...you can get your chops back with 15 - 20 minutes of practice a day! I know - I hadn't touched my clarinet in 25 years and suddenly got into this little wind ensemble. We play easy, fun music and we all stink at the same level - so we have a great time!

It is such a joy to make music with other people!
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

WOW, Teremia! Break everything one can possibly break! :D ;)

And don't forget the recording! :D

(Good-luck- :hug: )

cem, way to go! :cheerleader:

And thanks to Jewel's explanation, I take it you play some kind of wind instrument?
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.