Doctor Who

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Impossible to tell without seeing it Lali, but given your predilection for spoilers (something I genuinely can't understand), I can't imagine it would be a problem for you. I'm certianly going to see it on the big screen.

(You have two weeks, binge!)
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I'm dragging my feet because I don't want David Tennant to go away. :( But once I force myself to watch the next two episodes, I could binge, I'm sure. I don't think I can get it all in, though, before Nov. 25th!

(Spoilers--I just don't like the stress of not knowing. I don't enjoy a show or a book that I'm really into if I'm anxious about what's going to happen.)
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

But surely finding out is the whole point of watching? Why even bother watching if you know what's going to happen? As I said, I just can't get my head around it. It's so completely alien to my entire mentality.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

I didn't even know there was a Dr. Who movie coming out until I read this. And even now, I can't find any info on IMDB.

Anyone got a link?
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Its not officially a Movie Jude. Its the 50th Anniversary special, so its being simulcast on TV and in selected Cinemas.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Ah, okay. Silwen mentioned that was coming up, and I've actually seen it advertised for pre-order on amazon.

I've finished series 5 and just picked up series 6 while I was away - I don't know if I should watch the special or not... :scratch:
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Alatar wrote:But surely finding out is the whole point of watching? Why even bother watching if you know what's going to happen? As I said, I just can't get my head around it. It's so completely alien to my entire mentality.
I think I get too emotionally connected and, as someone who's not good at dealing with HUGE emotions, I don't like the thought of losing control of my emotions. Happy emotions are usually okay, though. :blackeye:

Yes, Jude, the 50th anniversary special. Sorry. As for whether you should see it, I don't know. You don't really like spoilers, do you?
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

I can't find any information on cinemaclock as to whether it's appearing in Montréal.

Lali, I think you should see it in 3D if you get the chance. It probably won't give away plots of individual episodes, and you already know that David Tennant morphs into Matt Smith, and, coupled with the fact that you don't mind spoilers, I don't think there could be anything in it that would spoil the intervening series for you.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

According to the "Day of the Doctor" website its on here:
Cineplex Odeon Westmount Cinemas

"352 Rue Émery Montreal, QC H2X 1J1, Canada"
http://www.doctorwho.tv/watch-the-day-of-the-doctor/
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

Well, one of my kids "won" the lottery for tickets to the 50th anniversary Dr. Who extravaganza events in London on Saturday, November 16, so I'm taking three 15yos on the train to London for a birthday weekend bash! I, however, have never seen a single Dr. Who episode. I suppose I'd better do some watching this week, but it's NaNoWriMo, and I'm trying to do nothing but write. (I think this is the sort of dilemma that the #firstworldproblems hashtag was invented for.)

:)
“Wilbur never forgot Charlotte. Although he loved her children and grandchildren dearly, none of the new spiders ever quite took her place in his heart. She was in a class by herself. It is not often that someone comes along who is a true friend and a good writer. Charlotte was both.” E. B. White, who must have had vison in mind. There's a reason why we kept putting the extra i in her name in our minds!
eborr

Post by eborr »

Can I recommended Dr who adventures in time and space a drama about how Dr Who came about. Apparently it is being shown on BBC America tonight
Since 1410 most Welsh people most of the time have abandoned any idea of independence as unthinkable. But since 1410 most Welsh people, at some time or another, if only in some secret corner of the mind, have been "out with Owain and his barefoot scrubs." For the Welsh mind is still haunted by it's lightning-flash vision of a people that was free.

Gwyn A. Williams,
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Thanks, eborr! We've set it to record. And we will be watching the worldwide simulcast of "Day of the Doctor" tomorrow, which starts at 11:50 AM Pacific time on BBC America.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

The United States gets the Doctor Who Google doodle today!

I only played one level (have to work), but it's very cute.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I saw that! It must have been because of the anniversary of JFK's assassination that they didn't have it up yesterday.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

What, no discussion yet of the totally awesome, amazing and astounding 50th special?

I had high expectations, and they were EXCEEDED in every respect.

I'll restrain myself from saying more to avoid spoilers.

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

It's DVRd and we're planning to watch it tonight. But it is being discussed on the board . . . wait a second, let me go find it.

ETA: I must be thinking of Facebook—which is odd, I don't go there often. I hope nobody's holding back over spoilers. I for one don't mind them!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

OK, OK, OK, I've seen it. . .

It was worthy of the 50th anniversary of this amazing show. I can't say anything better than that. It was wonderful. So many brilliant moments—and the story itself was so clever, with a perfect ending. When a certain silver-haired gentleman showed up to put the cap on it all. . . .

I feel that the history of the show has been perfectly honored (even while being twisted into a new shape!), and that we are now lined up for a whole new beginning. But that it will still be Doctor Who. :love:
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Did you guys also get this?

The Five-ish Doctors Reboot

Watch out (if it's not restricted to UK viewers only) for a cameo by Gandalf and SPJ on the Dale set around the 13 minute mark...

Does he (gasp) have Radagast's staff??
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

Elentári wrote:Did you guys also get this?

The Five-ish Doctors Reboot

Watch out (if it's not restricted to UK viewers only) for a cameo by Gandalf and SPJ on the Dale set around the 13 minute mark...

Does he (gasp) have Radagast's staff??
That was hilarious! I love PJ pushing his AD out of the way, and the photo of PJ on McCoy's phone, holding his Oscar. And yes, McKellen seems to be holding Radagast's staff in a ruined Dale...

I am about 93% certain that Radagast will kick the bucket. Either at the close of DoS, or in TABA.
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

Finally got the lame internet to work well enough to stream "Day of the Doctor" here in Zambia.

I loved it.

Loved it, loved it, loved it.

I thought it was near-perfect. And although I adore David Tennant, I thought Matt Smith was amazing.
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame