Doctor Who

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

We just recently finished the Pompeii episode. Who was Capaldi?

I'll admit I'm a little disappointed from a fangurl standpoint. ;) I'm big enough to admit it, but I have a serious crush on David Tennant. So I'm not even looking forward to Matt Smith.

(Remember, I'm still catching up.)
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

He was the father of the family :)
For the TROUBLED may you find PEACE
For the DESPAIRING may you find HOPE
For the LONELY may you find LOVE
For the SKEPTICAL may you find FAITH
-Frances C. Arrillaga 1941-1995
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Lali - I adored Tennant, but I was not disappointed by Matt. He's been a wonderful Doctor, possibly the best Doctor ever, and I shall miss him a lot.

But Capaldi is a good move. Very Classic Who. The detractors should be reminded of that! *sniffs*

Karen Gillan was also in The Fires of Pompeii?!

A favourite episode of mine, btw . :). Donna ROCKS. :love:

(I've always been fascinated by Pompeii and went to the Pompeii/Herculaneum exhibition at the British Museum in April - astounding and moving.)
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Okay, well, good to know. I will remain skeptical. <crosses arms petulantly> But I will admit it if I end up thinking Matt Smith and/or Peter Capaldi are good.
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Matt is brilliant. :D

And a total babe. =:)

Although the Tenth Doctor is gorgeous and definitely the most romantic of all the Doctor's incarnations. :halo:

Although Eleven has his moments. Oh, yes.
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

I just watched a few of the old Tom Baker episodes.

It's odd that the people in the civilizations that they visit just happen to all have 1970's haircuts. What an unbelievable coincidence.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Tom Baker was my first Doctor, and my daughter's as well—I videotaped almost all of his episodes when they were showing on public television in Los Angeles back in the 1980s, and my kids grew up watching them, grainy and deteriorating as they were. Our family has a deep affection for the fourth Doctor. :love:

I wish the BBC did not have such a silly pricing policy on Doctor Who. As dearly as we all loved the Baker episodes, we own exactly two on DVD: "Pyramids of Mars" and "Genesis of the Daleks." A single four- to six-part episode (and the parts are less than half an hour long) costs the same as an entire season of a modern, non-BBC show. If they cut that price in half, even, I would immediately buy five or six more episodes, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Changing Doctors is always hard! I never warmed that much to Peter Davison, and we moved to a Who-less location before that changed.

I remember being so disappointed by the change from Christopher Eccleston, the first 21st-century Doctor, to this David Tennant guy who seemed so doe-eyed and silly. And yet he turned out to be very close to Tom Baker in my affections (and a better actor, and darker and scarier as well as easy on the eyes). Matt Smith I also doubted at first, but he was awesome. But what I really treasure in the Doctor is a dark side, and I suspect Capaldi will deliver. :love:
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

If you do what I did, and convert your DVD player to multi-region, your problems will be solved.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Hmmmmm. . . .
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

A quick ebay search on "region-free dvd player" brought up a whole bunch of choices, mostly between $50 - $100.

Here's one I picked at random for $50

I think after you buy a set of Tom Baker DVD's, the player will pay for itself!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Thanks, Jude! :love:
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Prim, do you have a Netflix subscription? I recently did a little hackery to get access to the US Netflix as your library is far better than ours. There's a really nice selection of Classic Doctor Who on there, maybe 15 storylines or so? Not to mention every episode of every Trek, including the Animated Series. :)
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Not strictly Dr. Who-related, but I've had my eye on this for some time:

Much Ado about Nothing with David Tennant and Catherine Tate

I'll keep an eye out for it when I'm in the UK this October...
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Yes, I've got Netflix. The last time I looked they had only two Tom Baker storylines, one of them "Pyramids of Mars" and the other a small part of a much larger story arc. I should take another look.
samaranth

Post by samaranth »

I was really pleased to hear that Peter Capaldi will be the next Doctor. Sorry as I am to see Matt Smith go (and I'd, initially, had some serious doubts about him, though was eventually reconciled), Capaldi has that 'darkness' by the bucket load.

Plus, Scottish accent. Always a bonus. :)
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Will he use it? Doctors with regional accents often seem to go all Received Pronunciation in the show.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I was going to say that David Tennant has a lovely Scottish accent, too, that we don't get to hear.
samaranth

Post by samaranth »

Good point, Lali. I was kind of hoping that - within the constraints of maintaining the integrity of the 'inner' doctor - they'd be a bit more adventurous with the externals. Plus while David Tennant is rather renowned for being able to squash his own accent down, Capaldi is pure Glasgow, which (based on my vast experience of living next door to someone who didn't lose his accent despite 40 years in this country) might be harder.

Plus there's this. ;)
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Well, there you go. Proof positive! :)
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

So...the Dr. Who movie in 3D is coming to a theatre near here. It's kind of a big deal, I think. It's not playing in many places.

My question is: Do I go see it even though I'm not caught up on seasons? I'm on the 10th Doctor still, but that's about to end. I don't mind spoilers (obviously--I've looked it up to see when the David Tennant leaves so that I can be prepared for it).

?? Would it spoil too much to see the movie without seeing all of the intervening seasons?