Doctor Who

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I though it was really good! I got home a while ago from seeing it in 3D at the theatre. I had tried to read up a bit, so that I wouldn't be too lost. I wasn't. Even Freddy, who hadn't, followed the story just fine. He missed more of the in-jokes, just as I'm sure I still missed a few. Anyway, I enjoyed it very much and was glad I went.
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

I loved it too. :D

Funny, cheeky, lots of fun inside jokes for the fans, the show having fun with itself until things got suitably epic and weepy.

Brilliant. :love:

John Hurt is wonderful, Matt Smith is terrific, but David Tennant will always be my favourite Doctor. :)

P.S. And I just love what they've done with the mythos!

Gallifrey lives!
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Me, too. That was the gloomiest thing about the new Doctor.

However, I do hope this doesn't mean we've seen the last of dark Doctor Who!
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Re: Doctor Who

Post by WampusCat »

I just wanted to pop in here to say that the latest show, "Listen," was terrific.
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I've only seen as far as the second episode, but I'm quite enjoying it. Mr. Prim is liking it for a reason I didn't expect: that the apparent age (still not anything approaching his actual age) of the new Doctor removes any possibility of a relationship with his young companion. Mr. Prim is FREAKED OUT about interspecies sexual relationships; maybe it's that he's a geneticist, but his view, for example, of the relationship that produced Mr. Spock is, why didn't he mate with a sea cucumber from his own planet? Because, that would be more closely related to his own genetics. Whereas I am able (!!!) to grasp that attraction between two intelligent beings is not entirely determined by their relative genetic sequences. Esthetic beauty, witty repartee, and an outwardly similar appearance could reasonably also play a role.

And,some UST (unresolved sexual tension) between the Doctor and his companion is not to me unwelcome. Smart people locked up together in an intertemporal spaceship. Whatcha gonna do?
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

This Doctor is put off even by hugs!

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Yes. I don't see UST happening with this doctor; I just meant I didn't mind it with the younger ones (as it reliably stayed U). This doctor will be interesting for other reasons!
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

10 was saving himself for me.