yov's 100 All-time Favorite Songs

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Re: yov's 100 All-time Favorite Songs

Post by Frelga »

Wait till I get around to it.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

So Yov insisted we only do lists so here is my list of songs with main female vocals that I think are cool but didn't include on my last list. Sometimes because I hadn't heard the song yet.

This song is ... very, very different. I like the lyrics, the video and vocalizings are amazing but also a little terrifying...
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Gosh, I don't know that I could name 100 All-time Favorite Songs. It varies depending on my mood. I have my music classified: Classical, Show-tunes, Celtic, Soundtrack, Car tunes, Instrumental, Rock, Alt-Rock/Indie, Metal, Meditation, Light Favs, Oldies, Pop, Holiday, etc.. I have a 5 star rule for my playlist although itunes seems to have gotten rid of that system which is very annoying as I put a lot of time into rating them.

5 Stars: Songs I would be crushed never to hear again. They touch my soul. They tend to have a timeless quality (but not always).
4 Stars: Songs I love but aren't quite something that touches my soul or perhaps they do not have a timeless quality/are trendy/can get old.
3 Stars: Songs that may not be favorites, but they are good songs, nice to have in the mix. They may be fun or of a certain genre. They may be songs that are nostalgic/were favorites at one time or that I might enjoy while I'm painting/in a certain mood.
2 Stars: I don't know if I have any 2 star songs. If they are not at least a 3, why bother? The only reason I'd have a song as a 2 Star is if I'm not sure how to rate it. I might place it there & revisit the song at a later date. It's like song purgatory. :D
1 Star: These are songs that have a purpose; Happy Birthday. An Anniversary song. 'I like Toast'. Holiday music. Funny stuff like Weird Al, The Jackass theme song, Techno squirrel song.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Nope. I don't think I can do this. I tried to narrow my list and I got it down to the top 400ish. Even if I pared it down to 1 favorite per artist/composer it comes to 190. Too many decades to cover. So much good music. And that's still leaving out a lot of amazing artists/songs. :D I have a lot of amazing female artists on my list but it's less than 50% by artist but of the female artists whom I like, I tend to really like their music.
elengil

Post by elengil »

RoseMorninStar wrote:Nope. I don't think I can do this. I tried to narrow my list and I got it down to the top 400ish. Even if I pared it down to 1 favorite per artist/composer it comes to 190. Too many decades to cover. So much good music. And that's still leaving out a lot of amazing artists/songs. :D I have a lot of amazing female artists on my list but it's less than 50% by artist but of the female artists whom I like, I tend to really like their music.
I didn't even try to do 'favorites' - I just did 100 songs I really love from different artists and tried to showcase some that I thought some people here might not have heard before. So... it was really just 100 songs, not 100 favorites. lol
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

elengil wrote:
RoseMorninStar wrote:Nope. I don't think I can do this. I tried to narrow my list and I got it down to the top 400ish. Even if I pared it down to 1 favorite per artist/composer it comes to 190. Too many decades to cover. So much good music. And that's still leaving out a lot of amazing artists/songs. :D I have a lot of amazing female artists on my list but it's less than 50% by artist but of the female artists whom I like, I tend to really like their music.
I didn't even try to do 'favorites' - I just did 100 songs I really love from different artists and tried to showcase some that I thought some people here might not have heard before. So... it was really just 100 songs, not 100 favorites. lol
That would be a saner goal. :thumbsup:
Snowdog

Post by Snowdog »

elengil wrote:72. Egil Saga
Faun
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oYmc9WTdSs
Love Faun. I just started a topic on the band.

As for 100 all-time fav songs.... it changes to damn much.

Here's a random playlist of mostly classic rock songs I have on another site.

Sometime Sunday - 435
Mariee Sioux – Wild Eyes
Shireen - UMAI
The Animals - House of the Rising Sun
Emerson Lake & Palmer – From The Beginning
77’s - Rocks In Your Head
The Seeds - Pushin' Too Hard
Beatles – Think For Yourself
Heilung - Lifa
Guess Who - American Woman
Led Zeppelin – Achillis Last Stand
77’s - The Years Go Down
Eric Burdon & War - Spill The Wine
Fleetwood Mac – The Green Manalishi (with the Two-Pronged Crown
Jethro Tull - Locomotive Breath
The Byrds – I Wasn’t Born To Follow
Cream - I Feel Free
The Doors – Not To Touch The Earth
77’s - Blue Sky
Yardbirds – Turn Into Earth
Led Zeppelin – In My Time of Dying
Golden Earring - Twilight Zone
The Who – Magic Bus
Bob Dylan - Isis
Heart – Crazy On You
77’s - Unbalanced
Sugarloaf - Green Eyed Lady
Traffic – Low Spark of Highheeled Boys
The Guess Who - No Sugar Tonight/New Mother Nature
Rolling Stones – 2000 Light Years From Home
Iron Butterfly - IN-A-GADDA-DA-VIDA
Leonard Cohen & Judy Collins – Suzanne
The Doors - Riders On The Storm
Blues Image - Ride Captain Ride
Grand Funk Railroad – Closer To Home
The Guess Who - No Time
The Cars - Moving In Stereo & All Mixed Up
Yardbirds - Heart Full of Soul
Crosby Stills & Nash - Guinevere
Cream - Spoonful
Beatles – Looking Through You
The Who - I Can See For Miles
Chambers Brothers – Time Has Come Today
Cream - Badge
Rolling Stones – Gimme Shelter
Free - All Right Now
Fleetwood Mac – World Turning
Joe Walsh – County Fair
SKÁLD - Rún
Gordon Lightfoot – Sundown
Crosby Stills & Nash - Suite: Judy Blue Eyes
Bob Dylan - Girl of the North Country
Fleetwood Mac – Hypnotised
Rolling Stones – Moonlight Mile
Kansas – Dust In The Wind
Faun - Andro (live)
Renaissance - Kings and Queens
The Doors – When the Music’s Over
Blind Faith – Can’t Find My Way Home
Barnstorm - Turn To Stone
The Doors – The End

I'll compile a more eclectic listing shortly.
Last edited by Snowdog on Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
--Bilbo Baggins
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

There are some awesome songs on that list! I'm familiar with a good many but there are a few I'd have to look up. I've been working on my list for some time.. it consumed me for awhile so I took a break. I should revisit it.
Snowdog

Post by Snowdog »

RoseMorninStar wrote: I've been working on my list for some time.. it consumed me for awhile so I took a break.
Indeed, it does that. I made a classic rock playlist on a music forum a few years back and I was fortunate to be notified the board was shutting down so I saved it. I've since used it on an RP site and have added random songs to it. I need to make a 'medieval/pagan/folk/dark' playlist...
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
--Bilbo Baggins
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

yovargas wrote:3 - Radiohead-Creep (1993)
Have you ever heard this short cover version?
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

I'll put in a plug here for the radio program my brother produces, and has been producing for decades, that has a wide ranging mix of popular music, not necessarily the top 10 or top 100, but all interesting to hear.

Listen via streaming: https://www.undercurrentsradio.net/listen
Or via radio: https://www.undercurrentsradio.net/map
Playlists: https://www.undercurrentsradio.net/playlist

The last few songs were by Prince, Wall of Voodoo, David Little Elk, Silvana Estrada, John Mayer Trio...
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

NE - Because I love the song Creep so much I almost never like covers of it ("you're not doing it right!"), but that marching band performance was pretty cool period my main objection was that it was too short!
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I need to finish my list. Actually, I made my list but it's well above the 100 limit so I need to go through it again.

I love 'Creep' and that Marching band aced it.

narya, I'll have to give a listen. I've noticed I'm not listening to the radio as much lately. I miss listening to the radio while driving. I should take a drive in the next few days and enjoy before winter & icy roads make their appearance.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

This will always be the "official" video for Creep in my head.

The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Wow, I'm surprised I'd never seen that before, Al! That was excellent!
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Alatar, nice. I've not seen that before.
Attachments
Radiobread.jpg
Radiobread.jpg (30.49 KiB) Viewed 8811 times
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

yovargas wrote:Not really sure if there will be much interest here as I don't think folks here share most of my musical tastes, buuuuuut I put a ridiculous amount of thought and effort (I first decided to make this list back in 2013... (I have a thing with lists...)) into compiling this list so I thought I'd share. So below is my Super Duper Official 100 All-time Favorite Songs list. The only rule I had for the list was that I could only put 2 songs by the same artist on the list. ...
Before I make and share my own list, I'm going to listen to everything already posted in this thread, in case there's something here that I hadn't heard before that should be there. I started at #100 on your list and have listened through #46, but I'm pausing just to note that of your 100 songs, there were 44 for which I recognized the artists' names but not the song title, 1 for which I knew the song but the artist, and 12 where I knew the artist and song -- and 2 of those 12 are fairly likely to turn up on my own list.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I haven't gone through everyone's list, but I recognized at least half of the songs/artists on yov's list and quite a few of his artists are on my own. I'm still trying to whittle my list down from about 204 songs and I believe I only picked one favorite from each artist. I feel it's fairly diverse and spans quite a broad period of time.
elengil

Post by elengil »

RoseMorninStar wrote:I haven't gone through everyone's list, but I recognized at least half of the songs/artists on yov's list and quite a few of his artists are on my own. I'm still trying to whittle my list down from about 204 songs and I believe I only picked one favorite from each artist. I feel it's fairly diverse and spans quite a broad period of time.
Just because Yov's list was 100 doesn't mean yours can't be 204.

Just sayin'
was a 2020 planner.

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

:agree:
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."