What should be the next big adaptation?

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

What should be the next big adaptation?

Post by Frelga »

A completely non-fact-based thread for speculating about which books should be adapted as a big budget movie or TV series.

I would particularly like to see something that doesn't involve a global war, an ancient prophecy, or the Chosen One of any sort. (I don't blame Tolkien for starting the trend, but enough already)

In no particular order:

CJ Cherryh, Foreigner universe. The CGI is now there to do the atevi justice. Tea, nadi?

Terry Pratchett, Tiffany Aching series. Actually, any good Pratchett adaptation.

The Vorkosigan Saga? Possibly fails on the war part, but I'm not far enough into the series to be sure.

Amelia Peabody series!

What else?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Jude
Lán de Grás

Re: What should be the next big adaptation?

Post by Jude »

Dianna Wynne Jones: Dark Lord of Derkholm / Year of the Griffin

Terry Pratchett Witch series and/or City Watch series

Elizabeth Peters - the Jacqueline Kirby series

Edit: I can totally see Dawn French as Nanny Ogg
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

The Vorkosigan Series would be an amazing many-years’ seasons show.

It has everything. Love, politics, emperors, sci-fi, and well, life. And some war - but really a sideline in later books.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Jude wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:34 pm I can totally see Dawn French as Nanny Ogg
Now you've said it, I think I'll never be able to see anyone else in the role!

Vorkosigan saga - yes!

Prachett's Witches - yes!

Inkspell by Cornelia Funke

The Parasol Protectorate series, or the Finishing School series by Gail Carriger (If well done, these would be blockbusters because they've got the lot)
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Impish, you get at least one wish.

Break out the treacle tarts! Paranormal steampunk series Parasol Protectorate getting animated show

There was the Inkheart movie with Brendan Frazer.

Oh, let's get Rivers of London on the list.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Frelga, Rivers of London - is this that book in which the black male protagonist wants some help from his younger cousin. And she refuses to help him until he gets his Mom to back off on her Afro? This scene is stuck in my head. And I was enjoying the books - and then they slipped off my radar…
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I don't know Rivers of London. I shall investigate.

The Parasol Protectorate as an animation is milk toast.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I’ve never heard of the Parasol Protectorate! Let me search! :)
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Inanna. Gail Carriger is the author.
They are frothy and fun!
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Impenitent wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:45 pm I don't know Rivers of London. I shall investigate.
Think young Sam Vimes in modern London. It's fun.
What does that expression mean, please?
Inanna wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:39 pm Frelga, Rivers of London - is this that book in which the black male protagonist wants some help from his younger cousin. And she refuses to help him until he gets his Mom to back off on her Afro? This scene is stuck in my head. And I was enjoying the books - and then they slipped off my radar…
You are most likely thinking of the right book. It didn't go quite like that, but a cousin who insists on keeping her Afro is a character.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Oh goodie. Now I know. Yes, am sure I got the details wrong, but it’s likely the same series. Yippee.

Thanks, Imp, for a new series!!
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Frelga wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:01 am
Impenitent wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:45 pm I don't know Rivers of London. I shall investigate.
Think young Sam Vimes in modern London. It's fun.
I am convinced and have it queued.
Milk toast is an eggcorn of milquetoast, meaning insipid or feeble. Comes from the comic strip character Caspar Milquetoast, very timid, vapid, apologetic. In turn inspired by a simple dish for an ill person of sliced buttered toast with warm milk poured over it.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Inanna wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:35 am Oh goodie. Now I know. Yes, am sure I got the details wrong, but it’s likely the same series. Yippee.

Thanks, Imp, for a new series!!
Be warned; it has waspish vampires and scottish werewolves.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Impenitent wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:05 am
Milk toast is an eggcorn of milquetoast, meaning insipid or feeble. Comes from the comic strip character Caspar Milquetoast, very timid, vapid, apologetic. In turn inspired by a simple dish for an ill person of sliced buttered toast with warm milk poured over it.
I still don't know what the expression means in terms of describing something.... So, the Parasol Protectorate (LOL on the name again!) as an animation is feeble? So should not be done?
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I'd be curious to see the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant get an adaptation. A thoroughly unlikeable character who rapes the first person he meets and only saves the world against his will. Almost the opposite of a "chosen one"
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Inanna wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:56 am The Vorkosigan Series would be an amazing many-years’ seasons show. It has everything. Love, politics, emperors, sci-fi, and well, life. And some war - but really a sideline in later books.
:agree:
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

How about The Accursed Kings (Les Rois maudits) by Maurice Druon. This series of books about the 14th century French monarchy was wildly popular in early post-Soviet years.

A cursory research reveals that there were two French TV series, and that the books were an inspiration for the Game of Thrones. The latter I suspected - it has that epic sweep with lots of sex and historically appropriate violence.

I'm not sure I would watch :blackeye: it but it deserves a modern streaming service series treatment.

Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Inanna wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:45 pm
Impenitent wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:05 am

I still don't know what the expression means in terms of describing something.... So, the Parasol Protectorate (LOL on the name again!) as an animation is feeble? So should not be done?
Apologies, I missed this a year ago. My concern about an animated version is that the female characters will all have big boobies and tiny waists in the manner of most steampunk-themed animation. Too much exaggeration will do such a disservice to the characters. But...if the project proceeded, I will, of course, give it a go.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Since this is (just after) Hanukkah time, I'd like to see a big budget yet faithful adaptation of the story of Judith and Holofernes as the thriller it is.

If you are not familiar with the story, here's a brilliantly narrated version with commentary by Rabbi Ruttenberg.
Beware of Confident Women with Swords