What's in a name?

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Re: What's in a name?

Post by yovargas »

"I find it really disrespectful that so many people insist that Queen was Freddie."

I kinda wanna say.....too bad? Like, I'm sorry that some of the songs the other guys wrote became massive international hits because they were sung by one of the most legendary, charismatic singers of the century. That all musicians would have such luck.

I'm reminded of when Hendrix got a huge hit covering Dylan's All along the watchtower and (iirc) responded by saying that song now belongs to Hendrix. It sure does. And Queen's hits now belong to Freddy.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Sorry, yov, you're entitled to your opinion, but I think that's farcical. There are so many things wrong with that statement I don't even know where to start.

However I doubt we'll ever agree on this so I'll bow out now.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

When a group replaces a member, it's still the same group if they want it to be. Why should the survivors have to start over with the reputation building?
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I don't think anyone (or at least not most people) are arguing that Queen should disband or shouldn't be able to use the name, but I think it's equally acceptable for people to feel that it's not the same without one of it's members, especially due to Freddie's over-the-top stage presence.

It's like a good marriage or partnership with a very special connection. Yes, those who remain after a death carry on and can live very fulfilling lives, but.. there is always something not quite the same. How fortunate two people who are 'meant for one another' to find one another in the first place. After the loss of a spouse, half of that partnership, how incredible it would be to 'strike gold' and (to borrow a word from Alatar) find that alchemy with someone new. I'm sure it happens, but it's rare. That's what makes it so special.

There is nothing wrong with Queen continuing as a band. Good for them! But I think it's equally understandable for some to feel that there is a certain appeal missing.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

We have a new name to reckon with: Sir Brian May.

Queen guitarist Brian May is now a knight
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

:love:
My heart is forever in the Shire.