Marvel Movie Madness

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Re: Marvel Movie Madness

Post by elengil »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:It's a pancake. It will always be a pancake.
But the real question is: is it buttered??
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Butter, then syrup. Salted butter.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

The original pancake rabbit was brought to us by Passdagas the Brown*: http://thehalloffire.net/forum/viewtopi ... 69#p270469

He also found the emoticom: http://thehalloffire.net/forum/viewtopi ... 71#p270471

But I did add it to the list. And regretfully, I see no evidence of either butter nor syrup. I believe this particular pancake is nekkid.

* aka Shelob's Appetite**

** aka Gandalf's Mother
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
elengil

Post by elengil »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: I believe this particular pancake is nekkid.
*gasp* MY EYES! :shock:
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Pancakes are nice, but if you are looking for beefcake, Idris Elba (Heimdall in Thor movies) has just been named 2018's sexiest man alive by People. YMMV but he's a much better choice than last year's Blake Shelton.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

Now, if you combine those last two posts … .

:wooper:
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Frelga wrote:YMMV but he's a much better choice than last year's Blake Shelton.
A hell of an understatement.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

elengil

Post by elengil »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Now, if you combine those last two posts … .

Wait, are you suggesting we find a nekked Heimdall smilie? Because if you are, I'd like to offer my support. :wave:
was a 2020 planner.

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

elengil wrote:
Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Now, if you combine those last two posts … .

Wait, are you suggesting we find a nekked Heimdall smilie? Because if you are, I'd like to offer my support. :wave:
With a pancake on his head?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Voronwë the Faithful

With or without butter and syrup?
elengil

Post by elengil »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:With or without butter and syrup?
With. =:)
was a 2020 planner.

Voronwë the Faithful

My work here is done.
elengil

Post by elengil »

Mystifying as this may seem, the internet apparently has no smileys of pancake Heimdall. Neither with nor without clothing. I am highly disappoint with interwebs.
was a 2020 planner.

Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Excelsior, Mr. Lee!

:bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

Not ashamed to admit I'm shedding a few tears just now.
I guess we all knew it was coming, though.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/stan-lee-dead ... 36633.html

Damn, I wish he could have lived forever... :cry:
Attachments
Stan Lee.jpg
Stan Lee.jpg (41.76 KiB) Viewed 6602 times
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

As someone on Twitter said, we should all live until 95 staying active in work that we love! But he'll be missed. His work and that of others at Marvel have made many people's lives more fun.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

:cry:
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

:( :( :(

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Stan Lee on bigotry. The world is down a good man.
IMG_20181112_201758.jpeg
IMG_20181112_201758.jpeg (97.37 KiB) Viewed 6578 times

Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Thank you Frelga! I saw that on FB, but it wasn't in a form that I could copy and save to my computer. Now I have it saved!

I found this tribute on CNN that sums up his legacy better than anything else I've read:
There will be people who learn about the passing of Stan Lee and politely pause before shrugging off his contributions as child's play. And while it is true he became famous for the creation of Marvel Comics and characters such as Spider-Man, Black Panther, Thor and The Incredible Hulk, the reason why he is loved isn't child's play at all.

His famous characters may have started off as comics but they never stayed on the page. They outgrew the merchandising. They overflowed out of our televisions. They even are larger than their fictional lives portrayed on the big screen. That's because Stan Lee did more than create characters. He created hope and hope cannot be contained.

Those who would hear of Stan Lee's passing and not feel a tremendous sense of loss do so, I would argue, because they are not able to see all that he gave the world. And that's OK. If everybody could lift Thor's hammer, it wouldn't be that special. Even Stan Lee said he was initially embarrassed to tell people what he did because other people were building bridges or going on to medical school. But he eventually understood that what he did was more than kid stuff.

His series "X-Men" and "Black Panther" are essentially manuals on discrimination and how to combat it. "Iron Man" explores the uneasy marriage of capitalism and weapons making. "Captain America" wrestles with patriotism: what to do when your country is on the wrong side?

Ultimately it doesn't matter if you know Stan Lee because we all know him by his principles. And principles aren't weakened if the author of those principles goes unnoticed. They are only weakened if they are not applied. So, as long as we remember this: "With great power comes great responsibility," Stan Lee lives. That's not to say that concept did not exist before Spider-Man's uncle said it to him.
In fact, Winston Churchill and Albert Einstein are quoted saying something very similar many years before. Just as patriotism didn't start with Captain America, fighting discrimination didn't begin with the X-Men, and portraying women as leaders wasn't something Janet van Dyne -- also known as The Wasp -- introduced.

But these principles of integrity, equality, fairness were not a consistent element in American culture during the 1960s, 1970s or even 1980s. In fact, one could argue that the heroes who populated Stan Lee's universe were in direct opposition to the world in which he and his readers existed. But by planting and nurturing those seeds with imaginative worlds and inspiring adventures, who's to say that Lee did not help a generation of real-life heroes to emerge?

No, we don't have super strength and we can't fly, but we fight society's ills armed with the principles woven into the words of some of our favorites characters. This is how Stan Lee lives on. Not with T-shirts or blockbuster movies but by our willingness to use whatever power we have for good and not evil. To help those in need. To remember doing the right thing doesn't require us to be perfect, because many of the heroes of Marvel Universe are far from it.

But that's not why they were heroes in the first place. They were heroes because they were willing to try to help for good. Whenever we are willing to try to be our higher selves, those characters will have life -- and so Stan Lee will live on. Some folks would smirk and think that's just a bunch of fanboy malarkey, and that's OK.

As I said earlier, everyone can't lift Thor's hammer.

LZ Granderson
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Found this cartoon on Pinterest and am still LOL'ing over it! :D

https://www.deviantart.com/pencilhead7/ ... -704065946