Marvel Movie Madness

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Re: The last movie you saw Thread

Post by yovargas »

Oh gawd, but so terrible. Crikey.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I dunno, looks like a good bad movie to watch while filing mail.

Waste of a good actor, though. Too bad Marvel didn't cast him as Namor the Sub-Mariner
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Space Channel is rerunning all the Marvel movies this summer. My favourite is still Avengers: Age of Ultron. Ultron and Vison manage to come across as real charcaters and not just robots. I also love all the little character development moments it manages to squeeze in. But boy-oh-boy does Thor ever get stuck with some HORRIBLE dialogue! It was so bad, I cringed for the poor actor!

I still have not seen the most recent Thor movie (Ragnarok) which greatly changed his character, supposedly as the result of him getting fed up with the way he was portrayed in Ultron and the other movies. Looking forward to seeing it. It did NOT get very good reviews, though.
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

OMG Vison is in a Marvel movie? How, how did I miss this? :woohoo:
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I haven’t seen Thor: Ragnarok either, but some SF writers I read on Twitter love love love it for its humor. One described it as the kind of movie she goes back to when she wants to relax and feel good.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

And yov placed it as his third favorite of all the Marvel movies in his super duper official rankings.
(Though that idiot also put Ultron as his third least favorite so take that as you will. :P )
-The Decemberists

Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Jude wrote:OMG Vison is in a Marvel movie? How, how did I miss this? :woohoo:
:bang: Bad spell there...sorry to disappoint you, Jude!

They still haven't broadcast Civil War. I hope they run it soon. I want to see how I react to it after rewatching Ultron. I haven't seen it since it came out on the big screen.

This weekend's movie is a repeat of Ant Man, which they broadcast two weeks ago. I quite enjoyed it. It's a much less serious sort of movie, obviously aimed at a younger audience. It was a lot of fun, and the acting was quite solid.
Last edited by Sunsilver on Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

The last movie you saw Thread

(Replying to yov)

Wow. And you still like the guy?

—Woman who hasn’t seen a Marvel movie since about three Spider-Mans ago, or maybe that one Iron Man that was especially good, or it could have been one of the Captain Americas, and do X-Men movies count ...?

(Maybe my brain is fried from too much editing, but I totally missed Sunny’s typo or I would’ve been all over that with Jude)
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Primula Baggins wrote:(Replying to yov)

(Maybe my brain is fried from too much editing, but I totally missed Sunny’s typo or I would’ve been all over that with Jude)

Sheesh...can't get away with ANYTHING around here!

As Cap would say: "LANGUAGE!" :P

Um, did I mention I am a HUGE Captain America fan? :whistle:
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I'm a HUGE Captain America fan, too. :D But I tried re-watching AoU recently, and it's now firmly my least favorite MCU movie. :help: Some good Cap moments notwithstanding.

Still better than Batman vs. Superman. Image
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Frelga wrote:I'm a HUGE Captain America fan, too. :D But I tried re-watching AoU recently, and it's now firmly my least favorite MCU movie. :help: Some good Cap moments notwithstanding.
My favourite line is still where Steve says to Maria Hill, with a totally straight face:

Maria: File says they [the Maximoff twins]volunteered for Strucker's experiments. It's nuts.

Steve Rogers: Right. What kind of monster would let a German scientist experiment on them to protect their country?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Sunsilver wrote:
Frelga wrote:I'm a HUGE Captain America fan, too. :D But I tried re-watching AoU recently, and it's now firmly my least favorite MCU movie. :help: Some good Cap moments notwithstanding.
My favourite line is still where Steve says to Maria Hill, with a totally straight face:

Maria: File says they [the Maximoff twins]volunteered for Strucker's experiments. It's nuts.

Steve Rogers: Right. What kind of monster would let a German scientist experiment on them to protect their country?
Yes! Classic Rogers. And then when Maria says with that smirk, "We are not at war," and he returns, "They are."

I have feelings about Steve Rogers.

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I think Thor Ragnarok is probably my least favourite Marvel Movie. I mean, its a great, fun movie. But Chris Hemsworth is playing Deadpool, or maybe Starlord, but it sure as hell ain't Thor.

Also, they eviscerated Planet Hulk, one of the best Hulk storylines ever, gave it to Thor as a vehicle, made it a comedy and Hulk a comedy sidekick.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Alatar wrote:But Chris Hemsworth is playing Deadpool, or maybe Starlord, but it sure as hell ain't Thor.
As I said at the time - who cares when Thor was so boring! If you wanted to see another movie like Thor 2, you might have been the only one. Image

(It's definitely much closer to Starlord then Deadpool.)
-The Decemberists

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I forgot about Thor 2.
No, I still like it better than AoU. It's got Loki and Darcy.

As I said at the time, I enjoyed Ragnarok, but I can see how it could be disappointing if you had any attachments to a particular interpretation of the characters. Probably how I feel about most adaptations of The Three Musketeers. :D

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

That’s why I don’t judge these the same as many others do—I haven’t read the stories. It’s not at all that I look down on them; it’s that life is too short to read even the regular books that I already own.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

I got fed up with comic books when it became obvious the stories were just designed to keep you buying MORE MORE AND MORE comic books. Story lines were spread across multiple magazines: you'd be reading Fantastic Four, for example, and have to start buying Spider Man to fully understand the plot lines.

It wasn't like that when I first started reading them in what's now known as the Golden Age of comics...

And of course, the characters change and evolve over the years, and there are inconsistencies in the multiple story lines and timelines. I haven't followed it, but I DO know Captain America has been brought back to life more than once. I got sucked into buying two of the comics for one of the revivals, because I thought they would be worth something one of these days. (Still regret not getting a chance to get my hands on the entire first year of the F.F. comics...that would be worth THOUSANDS today!!)

Then, not too long after that, there was a SECOND revival! I'm like HUH?? They just DID this!

Marketing, guys, marketing. And I decided not to buy into it.

But the movies are a lot of fun. It helps not to take them too seriously.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Frelga wrote:
Yes! Classic Rogers. And then when Maria says with that smirk, "We are not at war," and he returns, "They are."

I have feelings about Steve Rogers.
Me too! :love:

That was a precious little scene he had with Peggy Carter... :love:

The problem with super heroes and villains, (and action movies in general) is that they never slow down long enough for you to feel they are Real People. Somehow Marvel has managed to do that with Steve more than with the other characters. Dr. Banner is a close second in this department. Natasha is just a little too cool, and I have a feeling Johansson is still trying to get a handle on her character. Tony is just absolutely crazy nuts, a mad scientist, as he calls himself. Thor is a god, which makes him hard to relate to (Marvel did him no favours in AoU, that's for sure!) Hawkeye got a nice bit of screen time in AoU - I liked the setup they gave him with the home and family. I can't see Fury as really having developed much of a character. He's very good at management, and he's basically just there to move the plot along.

Marvel has always been pretty good in this respect (developing super heros' characters). I remember liking FF much more than Action Comic heroes like Superman and Batman because they argued and fought with each other, and Ben Grimm (The Thing) had these street hoods who were always picking on him and playing practical jokes (Yancey Streeters). It was quite funny! I'm pretty sure Stan Lee was behind this. He always had a little column in the back pages of the comics where he'd answer people's questions, and sometimes give teasers about upcoming issues.

Darn it, I wish I could find the precious little stash of comics I saved, because I knew they'd be valuable one day. But I haven't seen them for quite awhile, and can't find them... :help:
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Infinity War started playing at my local dollar theater so I decided to check it out one more time and lord, I really love that movie!
-The Decemberists

Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Okay, after rewatching Guardians of the Galaxy in its entirely for the first time, I have a question.

A friend has loaned me GoG2. Is the second one any better? :help:

Previously, I caught the last half of GoG on the TV, then had a chance to watch the first half when it was repeated. (Space frequently does this with better, more popular movies.) I thought it was okay. Parts of it were funny. But battle scenes went on for WAY too long, and the characters weren't very believable or well developed. My thoughts were the movie was directed at teenage boys who like lots of sock-em, rock-em violence and special effects.

On viewing the full movie without interruption, I found myself turned off by the violence, and the funny bits were no longer funny. Meh.

Definitely NOT one of the better Marvel movies, IMO.