Coming to theaters March 18, 2018: A WRINKLE IN TIME

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Coming to theaters March 18, 2018: A WRINKLE IN TIME

Post by Primula Baggins »

I knew this was coming, but this is the first trailer I've seen, and I thought it was very promising. The film is directed by Ava DuVernay, and the cast looks magnificent. And we need more, more, more family movies with girl heroes, especially girls of color. It's from Disney, but doesn't appear to be what we used to call "Disneyfied." At least from the teaser.
https://youtu.be/E4U3TeY2wtM

I've loved the book since I was 8 years old, so I will be there!
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Re: Coming to theaters March 18, 2018: A WRINKLE IN TIME

Post by Lalaith »

I just saw this! :love: :love: :love:

Please, please, please let it be good! I absolutely adore this book, and it was probably my first introduction into sci fi/fantasy. I just reread it recently and still love it to pieces.

And, I mean, come on. Chris Pine. Oprah Winfrey. :love:
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I came here to post the same trailer! I've had to adjust my brain because I've loved this book since 4th grade and it doesn't look as it has in my head all these years. I have great expectations!

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

So do I. :)
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Another book to read
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Inanna wrote:Another book to read
+1
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

That book has probably created more happy girl geeks than any other influence. And when you consider *quick wikipedia check* that it was first published in 1963 (and written in 1959–60), it shows that L'Engle was ahead of her time. (What a dreary time for women and girls it was! Bleh. I'm surprised so many women my age survived it with their dreams intact.) It was rejected 26 times and had come back to her from her agent, but then a chance connection got the attention of the publisher at Farar Straus & Giroux, and he loved it. It's never been out of print since.

I know so many women who talk about finding that book in the school library and how it changed their lives. Even women who never ended up really as geeks have mentioned it as, well, empowering.

So, yes. Read it. And Irika will be ready for it in two or three years.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

It was important to me as a girl in many, many ways. Meg didn't fit in. Her most defining trait was stubbornness, and she felt she could never be as beautiful as her mother or as smart as her brother. But she loved and was loved by her odd family. These things resonated with me, even as a child. Coming from that foundation of love, she could endure sorrow and hardship without losing sight of wonder. I learned much from her.
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Now that you point that out, Wampus, I think that's one of the strong reasons I think Teremia's Cloud and Wallfish will have a similar impact on readers. It's a real adventure, with danger and confusion and excitement, but fundamentally the family is bound together by love and by trust that is shaken for a while, but not broken.

I agree about Meg's family. I had the immense good fortune to grow up in a similar one, where our mutual love and trust was the unquestioned foundation, and where much of our interaction was based on humor and honesty and a genuine liking for each other. I still had a lot of self-doubt at Meg's age, and earlier when I first encountered the book, and her family's unquestioning belief in her was not something I'd seen in a story before. So often in books for young people, the suspense and plotlines come from tearing a family apart! And there's pain in WiT—her father is missing, and there's that one telling moment when Meg sees her mother's quiet sadness when she thinks she's unobserved. But love and believing in each other is still the foundation, and in the end the key.

For me the story let me see from outside what I saw from the inside, and begin to understand the value of it.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Exactly. That was my experience as well. It still is my experience with my brothers. We aren’t just in the same gene pool; we love and support one another. We laugh together. A family like that is a lasting treasure.

Although I secretly wanted to be a brilliant prodigy like Charles Wallace…

Is 61 too late to be a child prodigy?
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

So I just saw it. Has anyone else?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Not me, yet. I planned to see it in the theater, but lost enthusiasm at some point—this book is so important to me, to the whole direction of my life, and I didn’t want to see it if it was WRONG.

It’s possible, though, that I lost enthusiasm, unknowingly, because of online reviews that targeted the movie for racial reasons (Meg’s not white!). That, openly stated, would horrify me; I would not buy in. But did I miss the clue?

What did you think, Jude?
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I decided not to see it because they turned Mrs Who, Whatsit and Which into fairies of the kind that live at the bottom of the garden and sparkle.
I couldn't face it.

Sent from a tiny phone keyboard via Tapatalk - typos inevitable.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Primula Baggins wrote: What did you think, Jude?
Well... it had its moments, but I don't think it did justice to the book. It's hard to pinpoint exactly why; I think my best explanation would be that many of the things that made the book unique were replaced by movie clichés. It's not the sort of movie that you would see as a child and have it change your life.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I was disappointed by it as well. I can remember being disappointed by another version, too, though. I guess I'm not sure this book can be adapted into a movie and still have it be as magical and profound.

I mean, it wasn't awful as far as that goes. If you weren't familiar with the book, it might even have been good.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I watched it on a transatlantic flight on a tiny screen and thought it was pretty... meh.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End