Protest Songs

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Protest Songs

Post by Alatar »

Watched this today to see what all the fuss was about. This could possibly end up in Lasto, I'll leave that up to Voronwë

So, on the one hand, this feels like incitement. But weren't most protest songs? Is this not a protest song just because I feel the subject matter is distasteful? This song to me feels like a rallying cry for MAGA. It suggests that "real patriots" wouldn't put up with this namby pamby leftist propaganda and would take matters into their own hands. But a lot of the leftist protest songs also use phrases like "we're not gonna take this any more" (Sorry I don't have concrete examples, but thats just the vibe I remember)

So, is this ok? Its just a song? Or its a call to incite violence and racially motivated.

The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Re: Protest Songs

Post by narya »

Sounds like a condemnation of all things "urban". And "urban" is a dog whistle for People of Color.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... 235549458/
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I feel like protest songs should be directed at The Man. Not at your neighbors.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

This is a protest song.

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

No question V. But is Aldeans? I'm sure he thinks it is. And Frelga, Biden and the Left are "The Man" to these "Good Ole Boys".
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Thanks for the link Narya. I'd agree with all of that.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I think it is the absolute opposite of a protest song. It is a plea to go back to the good old days, when uppity people of color and different sexual orientations or gender identities knew their place. Or were suppose to.

ETA: I thought this article at CNN talking about Aldean's song and another country success, Luke Combs' cover of the great Tracy Chapman's "Fast Car," is worth reading:

Country music is at a crossroads. Two of its most viral songs show why

As for your question about placement, while It think this discussion *could* take place in Lasto, I think it is fine here. Depending on where the discussion goes, we could always decide to move it if it seems like it would make sense to do so.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

I think the two most important think to know about this song is that the singer is a Trump supporter, and it was filmed in front of a courthouse in which a black man was incarcerated for allegedly raping a white woman. He was dragged from his cell and lynched. Yes, this happened many, many years ago. Supporters of the song say there's no way the singer could know this. Yeah, I think there's no way he DIDN'T know it! Given that a lot of the other footage in the song is from the BLM protests, I'm almost certain he did.

'Nuff said!
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Snowdog

Post by Snowdog »

It's a 'protest' song by a white racist, insurrectionist 'artist' championing all things Trumpism and the modern republican party. The fact it is a #1 song says all I need to know about anyone who likes this song, or continues to vote republican. I do think the title of the song should be 'Try This in a Small-minded Town'
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
--Bilbo Baggins
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

The song seems to have become coopted for videos and memes about the Montgomery Brawl. I think this is what they call an ironic twist.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!