Star Wars, Episode VIII

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Star Wars, Episode VIII

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Probably makes sense to have a new thread for this. This sounds encouraging.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/star-w ... 05-10aaa0a
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Re: Star Wars, Episode VIII

Post by Primula Baggins »

Wheeee!
It's such a good story. Seriously. Luke is so cool in this one.
From Daisy Ridley, who has been working with Mark Hamill for two weeks.

I have a good feeling about this. :)
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

"Me and Mark have been rehearsing a lot, and it's really amazing", she said.
:nono:
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

That's how most people speak though. I don't criticise vernacular in interviews, but I expect better in written word.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

It's not that common around here. Lots of other grammar errors are commonplace, but I really don't hear that particular one very often from adults.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Very common in UK and Ireland.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful

And the East coast of the U.S. and the West Coast.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Yes, quite common. I know it's not correct and have tried to teach my girls the same. I think it worked....
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

You've done them a service. It's hard for someone who knows better not to instantly judge someone for making that kind of error, and "someone who knows better" could include potential employers and possibly potential spouses.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Extremely common in India too.

Employers okay - but if a potential spouse is judging me on this I am better off without him/her.

---------------
Please bear with my typos & grammar mistakes. Sent from my iPhone - Palantirs make mistakes too.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I don't mean after you know each other--I mean before you even know they have noticed you. It's easy to judge someone's level of intelligence by how correctly they speak, and many people value intelligence highly in a potential partner. You might never know you'd been ruled out.

I don't think that applies to non-native speakers. Anyone who can converse in a second language looks like a genius to most Americans.... :(
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I gotta say, I am occasionally thrown by the convention of always putting "me" last. ;)
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

Don't tell that to me and my Bobby McGee. ;)
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

So...do we actually know anything else 'bout that Star Wars movie? :D
tinwë

Post by tinwë »

[jarjarbinks]Meesa don't know nothin' 'bout no Star Wars movie![/jarjar]
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Don't make me feed you to the Banthas.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Luke has a major role, but we knew that.

Also, reportedly they aren't going to be so completely close-mouthed about the production this time around. There will be set photos, etc., released a lot sooner in the timeline.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I'm probably going to like it more than any of the first six, if VII was any indication.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I also expect that it will be better. It won't be bound so much by fan expectations of what a new Star Wars film must include, and it won't have to spend as much time introducing new characters. Also, it's got a different director, so J. J. Abrams' "sophomore slump" with the Star Trek films isn't predictive here.

And, from an audience standpoint, we can hope it won't be as concerned with ticking off tropes from the original trilogy, which some people found tiresome in the first film (too much fan service). And the story can go wherever it needs to.

The whole thing does increase my respect for PJ's FotR. To pull off what many people consider the best film as the first film is rather astonishing.

FTF [footnote to Frelga]: I just read this morning that there's a new Marvel TV series starting up soon (Marvel's Most Wanted) . . . and they've cast Oded Fehr.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I saw that! They only have a commitment for the pilot right now, and no network picked it up yet, but still, good news.

I don't have any attachment to original movies, as they came out before my time on a continent far away. I enjoyed VII much more, and after thinking about it, I realized that it was because I found the characters so much more likeable. Luke was OK, but bland. Solo actively set my teeth on edge with his smarmy act. Leia was a genuine badass, but I was always at a loss why she, a princess and a military leader with an entire galaxy to choose from, went for Solo who treated her like crap. I'd have shot him fifteen minutes in (non-fatally, he's not THAT horrible).

In contrast, the new movie has these adorable kids who are so excited about each other. I loved the mutual admiration sessions they had after each adventure, and the way they were all so genuinely kind. Even Solo was sympathetic, older and a bit wiser.

I really hope the new kids won't get sidelined in favor of Luke.