Goodbye, Alan Rickman :(

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Goodbye, Alan Rickman :(

Post by Pearly Di »

I'm so glad I got to see him (in a gloomy Ibsen play, LOL) in Dublin, October 2010, with another fandom friend. I liked him and respected his work very much.

His films include some of my favourites: Truly, Madly, Deeply and Sense and Sensibility and Galaxy Quest. And Die Hard! And, of course, the Harry Potter series, in which he played the gloomy, bitter (and ultimately heroic) Professor Snape.

He was a hugely gifted actor, one of Britain's greats, and a modest, lovely person. He will be sorely missed.

A brief look at his distinguished career:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-35314417
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
Anduril

Re: Goodbye, Alan Rickman :(

Post by Anduril »

Man. December and now January. When will it end.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Never, people live, people die. Some deaths hit closer than others.

He said something about rereading Harry Potter as an old man, and if anyone questioned why, after all this time, he would reply, "Always." Very sad that always has become never.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Oh, I'm so sorry. Alan Rickman was one of my favorite actors—memorable in every film I ever saw him in. That voice! The utter disgust and weariness with which he spoke the line, "By Grabthar's hammer. . . ." The measured bitterness of Colonel Brandon telling Elinor the truth about Willoughby. And every word Snape ever said.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I pretty much only know Alan Rickman as Snape, but that is enough to make this hit home. Particularly on the heals of Bowie. It seems like a lot of personality has left this realm in the last couple of days.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

So saddened :(

A gifted actor, with great presence, and from all I have ever read and the interviews I have seen, a very nice man.

He'll always be Colonel Brandon to me (though his depiction of Obadiah Slope was most excellent! *shudder*)

He once said: "I don't play villains, I play very interesting people."

Oh, what a loss!
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

:( It is very sad.

We're watching GalaxyQuest tonight in his honor.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Highly fitting, Lali. I'll be doing the same thing soon.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

His Sheriff of Nottingham is the role I remember him most for, for some reason. A little lost, more than a little vicious, and totally unhinged.

He also did a fabulous Colonel Brandon. So stiff and yet so nice.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

I loved him as the angel in "Dogma." He was such a versatile actor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame