It is currently Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:53 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:47 am 
of Vinyamar

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/red-mar ... 201656112/

Fantastic news! Also, JMS!!!

“Sense8” co-creator J. Michael Straczynski will serve as writer, exec producer and showrunner on “Red Mars.” He will exec produce with “Game of Thrones” co-exec producer Vince Gerardis, who first brought the project to Spike, plus David Ellison, Dana Goldberg and Marcy Ross of Skydance Television, which is the studio on the series

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:48 pm 
Meanwhile...

TV is getting better material than movies, these days! How come all the interesting, fresh material is on the small screen, and the theaters keep getting sequels, reboots and rehashes?
(with exceptions, of course - Fury Road was spectacular, Martian sounds very good, even if I missed it in theaters, and I'm a big fan of what Marvel is doing right now.)

“It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people.”

- Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman, Good Omens

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:06 pm 
of Vinyamar

I think its safe to say something like Red Mars could only be done on TV. The scope is simply too large for even a long movie.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:12 pm 
Hobbit

I read Red Mars long ago- don't remember much of it-- and I never got around to the sequels.

I'll definitely want to see it, though, if JMS is making it. :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:29 pm 
bioalchemist

Alatar wrote:
I think its safe to say something like Red Mars could only be done on TV. The scope is simply too large for even a long movie.

This.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:12 am 
Living in hope

I am so looking forward to it. One of my favorite long-long form SF stories, put on the screen by the inventor of the long-long form TV series story arc (and a guy with a real touch for character-driven drama, to put it mildly). I think he might supply the one factor the Robinson Mars books lacked for me, which was strong, human character and emotion. "Operatic" is a word that comes to mind, in the best sense—the way that opera and theater (especially musical theater) can heighten characters and events, giving them great power. Straczynski gets this. The last episode of the five seasons of Babylon 5 was one of the most powerful pieces of sheer story I've ever seen.

And, Mars is clearly having a moment just now. :)

“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King