Possible Pern Movies?

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Possible Pern Movies?

Post by Alatar »

http://io9.com/a-dragonriders-of-pern-m ... 1613040964
Warner Bros. has optioned Dragonriders Of Pern. With The Dark Knight series done, Harry Potter over, and The Hobbit winding down, it's only natural for Warner Bros. to be searching for the next big franchise. Cross every single finger you have for this one, people.

Warner Bros. has a proven track record with book-to-film adaptations, so this is great news. Plus, there's no higher up who has to sign off on some character's super suit, etc. It's just dragons and politics and war and romance and it's great. Seriously great stuff here — thick, heavy things, that could deliver hardcore fantasy with the gritty edges that Warner Bros. loves.

Plus according to Deadline, they've optioned the entire Anne McCaffrey Pern series. That's 12 books of material to work with. Of course, a lot depends on whom they hire to spearhead it — but if this is going to become their next big movie series, let's hope they handle it with care.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
River
bioalchemist

Re: Possible Pern Movies?

Post by River »

That last sentence is key. Though I liked the HP and Dark Knight movies. The Hobbit could've used someone to save PJ from himself. So, for now, a very tentative :drool:

It also depends on which books they adapt. Pern was a huge part of my adolescence but the quality did start falling off as the series progressed. But Dragonflight's a soft scifi classic and Dragonquest and The White Dragon are superb as well. And OMG, can you imagine a Thread fight using current technology??
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Although McCaffrey isn't my favorite writer, she does have a cinematic eye. It's easy to imagine some of those spectacular book scenes becoming even more spectacular movie scenes. I'm sure it will be in 3D, and with all the aerial fighting, that might be more of an asset than I usually think it is.

ETA: They will also probably have to make the issue of dragonrider sexuality part of the story from the start, as it wasn't in the books—I suspect because it didn't occur to McCaffrey.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Can you explain that? Is it just that its gender specific?
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I'm referring to the fact that when the "lesser" dragons (browns and blues) go on a mating flight with a green dragon (a female dragon with a male rider), their riders are carried away in the same sexual frenzy as when a bronze dragon flies a queen. Because all but queen dragonriders are male, this means all or almost all dragonriders regularly have sex with other men. This was only implied until a scene in The White Dragon, in which although nothing was shown, what was about to happen was spelled out very clearly. This was pretty radical for 1978. McCaffrey also salts in some homophobic slurs against dragonriders from outsiders, always bad guys.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

It's possible it did occur to her and just got edited out or she felt she had to be very careful with that at first. She actually brushed on the sexuality of dragon riders in Dragonquest. It was very fleeting, but it was made clear that a pair of riders were a couple and the one's brown (or maybe blue) always flew the other's green. And somewhere in the midst of all this there's casual mention that even though the rider might be straight a dragon's gotta do what a dragon's gotta do.

One thing I always found odd, though, is how while men can and do Impress green dragons, women are never seeing crossing genders with dragons. And though men may get a green, they never get a gold.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

This is not a conversation that could happen in normal places.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Yes, but who wants to hang out in normal places?
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

What's normal, precious?
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

You're asking that here?
CosmicBob

Post by CosmicBob »

I had thought that in the first book Lessa and F'Lar were involved during the mating flights of their dragons. It's been a while since I read them. My son is now reading them.

As for a movie/show, way back in 1979 I asked McCaffery about it and she said they were going to do it live action - imminently. Nothing has ever come of it, this announcement from Warners is the closest I have ever seen it come to actually happening.

ETA - unable to spell.