Stranger Things

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Stranger Things

Post by Alatar »

So, the new Netflix series is like the lovechild of Stephen Spielberg and Stephen King. It's dripping in 80's nostalgia. Only two episodes in, but loving it so far!

The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Re: Stranger Things

Post by Lalaith »

I will have to check it out! Thanks!
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Already on my very, very long "to watch" list. :)
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

One episode in. Sarah and I watched it last night. I missed your thing about Stephen King, so I was taken off guard by the fact that it was pretty scary and intense. (I don't know. I was thinking it was a comedy for some reason. :roll: ) But it was very good! Sarah asked, "Was this actually made in the 80s?" :D The graphics and sound are that spot on, and I felt like a little girl again watching TV. (Being set in 1983, I would've been 11/12.)

Anyway, it's way better than whatever show Sarah and Craig are currently watching...Arrow, I think. :roll: The acting is quite terrible in that, imo, but I digress.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Lalaith wrote:Anyway, it's way better than whatever show Sarah and Craig are currently watching...Arrow, I think. :roll: The acting is quite terrible in that, imo, but I digress.
And the writing and directing and the everything, imo, but I digress some more. :P
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I literally start giggling whenever I happen to be around when they're watching it. It's THAT bad! And then they get annoyed with me, so I leave.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

We gave up on Arrow after season one.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Aren't you and Freddy famous for giving MST3K-style commentaries on everything?
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

We used to be. He doesn't seem to be amused by my attempts to do that with Arrow. So I just remove myself from the room.

Anyway, Stranger Things...it has promise!
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Ok, in episode 2 Mike secretly shelters a girl who can only talk in single words in his basement. During a safe moment, he takes her around and shows off his stuff, including specifically his Star Wars figures. He plays hooky to stay with her instead of going to school, and and he hides her in a closet when his mom comes home. That's got to be a deliberate E.T. homage, right?

I'm enjoying the 80s motif a lot (but did they have mini-blinds back then? I don't remember mini-blinds. I keep getting distracted by these sorts of questions). It's hard to pinpoint when the world stopped looking like that.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

There's way too many homages to count. The blonde wig and dress is straight out of ET also. There's a bunch of videos that highlight all the homages, but I'd advise waiting till you've seen the entire series before watching them!
Hachimitsu
Formerly Wilma

Post by Hachimitsu »

I have seen the whole thing. It's quite binge-able. I sometimes get distracted by the bad hair and bad decor. And it was really like that!

I will admit though, most of the 80's movies referenced, I haven't seen. I haven't seen all of E.T. or The Goonies. Or anything John Carpenter.

I have to say I found it really well done, and they found some incredibly good child actors.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Hidden text.
The monster is scary as hell.
:scarey: Do. Not. Like.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

I like a lot of pieces of Stranger Things, but I don't think they always go together into a cohesive whole. I call this the "X Files" effect, and a lot of shows with long arcs suffer from it to one extent or another. And I wish Winona Ryder was allowed more of an emotional range, which even given her character's circumstance is pretty constrained. It might be realistic, but too much of anything gets tiresome.

Honestly I liked Gravity Falls better. :D
Nin
Ni Dieu, ni maître

Post by Nin »

Has anybody else started season2??
"nolite te bastardes carborundorum".
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

We intend to, but we can’t until the World Series is over. Last time around we watched one or two a weekend until we were done.

I get bingeing, but we don’t have room for it in our lives at this point. Evenings are short for us, and there’s too much else we have to get done on weekends.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Waiting till all three kids are available at the same time is limiting! We're watching it as event TV, so we all have to be there. :)
eborr

Post by eborr »

I think it's just outstanding
Since 1410 most Welsh people most of the time have abandoned any idea of independence as unthinkable. But since 1410 most Welsh people, at some time or another, if only in some secret corner of the mind, have been "out with Owain and his barefoot scrubs." For the Welsh mind is still haunted by it's lightning-flash vision of a people that was free.

Gwyn A. Williams,
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I caught some of an episode of the second season. As usual, the writing is excellent. I'm just being a wuss about the scary stuff and the gore. I don't like being scared.
eborr

Post by eborr »

Just finished watching the series generally one episode a day although we watched one and two in a session and after watching Ep8, we just had to watch the last episode immediately afterwards.

Obviously no spoilers, but there was at least one moment where I wanted to cheer, but then I can be a soppy old thing and buy into characters.

I have seen some really good TV this year, and this was the most compelling
Since 1410 most Welsh people most of the time have abandoned any idea of independence as unthinkable. But since 1410 most Welsh people, at some time or another, if only in some secret corner of the mind, have been "out with Owain and his barefoot scrubs." For the Welsh mind is still haunted by it's lightning-flash vision of a people that was free.

Gwyn A. Williams,