New Star Wars films from Disney: SPOILERS WELCOME

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Beutlin

Re: New Star Wars films from Disney: SPOILERS WELCOME

Post by Beutlin »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:I think I remember reading, perhaps even before Abrams was tapped to do Episode Seven, that he was not much of a Star Trek fan and always was much further on the Wars side of the Star spectrum.
When Abrams' 2009 Star Trek film was released I heard a lot of critics saying that his film was basically a Star Wars film set in the Star Trek universe (ice planet, wise mentor, planet-destroying machine, and all that).

Will there be any lens flares in the upcoming Star Wars film? Are those Star Trek writers (Orci and what's his name) involved in writing the SW script?

PS: As a nine-year-old I thought Darth Maul was a pretty terrifying villain. From what I have heard he is also regarded by SW fans as one of the best original characters from the prequel trilogy.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Beutlin wrote:As a nine-year-old I thought Darth Maul was a pretty terrifying villain.
That's pretty consistent with my previous comment. ;)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

Beutlin wrote:
Voronwë the Faithful wrote:I think I remember reading, perhaps even before Abrams was tapped to do Episode Seven, that he was not much of a Star Trek fan and always was much further on the Wars side of the Star spectrum.
When Abrams' 2009 Star Trek film was released I heard a lot of critics saying that his film was basically a Star Wars film set in the Star Trek universe (ice planet, wise mentor, planet-destroying machine, and all that).

Will there be any lens flares in the upcoming Star Wars film? Are those Star Trek writers (Orci and what's his name) involved in writing the SW script?

PS: As a nine-year-old I thought Darth Maul was a pretty terrifying villain. From what I have heard he is also regarded by SW fans as one of the best original characters from the prequel trilogy.
I have dual Star Wars and Star Trek citizenship, but I didn't really enjoy Abrams' Trek films. That said, I do think he's far more at home in Lucas' universe, and that bodes well.

Also, his Trek writers went nowhere near the Force Awakens script. The script was written by Lawrence Kasdan, of original trilogy fame (lead writer for Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi - though Lucas heavily edited that one for the worse, IMO, and Raiders of the Lost Ark). Abrams also co-wrote the script, though it's mostly Kasdan's child.

That's why I'm generally ignoring the precedent of Abrams' Trek films. I think TFA will be better written, better plotted, better-looking (Abrams has referenced John Ford and David Lean as key inspirations) and generally, more enjoyable than the Trek films.

Plus, it's just a wider, and more epic fantasy sandbox to work in. That should help elevate Abrams' sometimes pedestrian story-telling instincts.

P.S. Darth Maul, as an enigmatic character and as a design, was, IMO, one of the best things about the prequels. Silly name notwithstanding!
Voronwë the Faithful

Passdagas the Brown wrote:P.S. Darth Maul, as an enigmatic character and as a design, was, IMO, one of the best things about the prequels.
That makes sense, as you do generally have a nine year old's sensibility. :kiss:
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Passdagas the Brown wrote:The script was written by Lawrence Kasdan, of original trilogy fame (lead writer for Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi - though Lucas heavily edited that one for the worse, IMO)
Off topic; but how was the story supposed to go?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I believe the Ewoks were Lucas's idea.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Passdagas the Brown

Ewoks, yes. But Kasdan also had Han Solo dying heroically, which though tragic, would have elevated his role in the film. As it stands, Han Solo's character doesn't really progress at all in the film.

One huge idea from Kasdan, however, that I'm glad Lucas shot down is in regards to Luke. Kasdan had Luke take Vader's place at the end. Essentially, he failed, as Frodo did, but without a Gollum and Sam to save him.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Wow. :shock: I agree with you on the last thing. That would have been ending the story (forever, we all assumed at the time) in failure, with a real need to find out what happened next and no prospect that we ever would.

And for me (in my early 20s) seeing RotJ, I did think Han progressed, because his romance with Leia progressed. I didn't want him to die. I liked fairy tales. This time around, I'm ready, and I think most of us are.

I do like the clear indications that, whatever happened with Han and Leia, it wasn't Happily Ever After. I'm not in my early twenties any more (she said, stubbing out her cigarette in the ring left by her last glass of whiskey). I still like fairy tales. I just like the people in them to be real.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Passdagas the Brown

It also seems that Han and Leia were estranged for a good reason. They lose one (or both) of their children, and I imagine they may blame each other. That said, it looks as if Han and Leia reconcile at the Resistance base. Likely around the idea that their child (or children) are alive. They have an intimate scene and Han promises to "hurry back." He doesn't make it back, but they had happiness before his end. That's important to me. If it's just "Han and Leia are broken up and hate each other" I'd be pretty disappointed. This is Star Wars, not Game of Thrones! We need some hope and happiness. Even if it's bittersweet.

And that's what I like about the story I'm reading. It seems bittersweet. Like LOTR!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

That's what I like about it. It's complicated, but there's some hope and happiness mixed in, at least for a while; some genuine loss; and maybe the beginning of an arc toward reunion/reconciliation for at least part of the family.
Voronwë the Faithful

Passdagas the Brown wrote:This is Star Wars, not Game of Thrones!
Thank Eru!
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

I thought Luke's rejection of the Dark Side was the entire point of RotJ. Good grief, it would've been completely out of tone with the franchise if he'd taken Vader's place. I can't see it really going there.

One wonders if a princess and a pirate ever could have had a happily ever after...though PtB's read on the situation was mine as well. They had kids, something happened, and the relationship didn't survive. Maybe there was blame. Maybe one turned to substance abuse. Or maybe it all collapsed under the weight of grief.

Or maybe, since the spoilers strongly suggest that Rey and Ren are related, maybe they're both Leia's kids but by two different men. Or maybe Rey is Luke's but something happened.

We'll find out soon enough. Or maybe it'll be like with Jon Snow's parentage and we'll be left guessing for most of the series.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Beutlin

Post by Beutlin »

River wrote:One wonders if a princess and a pirate ever could have had a happily ever after...though PtB's read on the situation was mine as well. They had kids, something happened, and the relationship didn't survive. Maybe there was blame. Maybe one turned to substance abuse. Or maybe it all collapsed under the weight of grief.
Or maybe Han Solo finally realized that Chewbacca was more than a friend. :whistle:

http://www.downdilly.com/vday03/WookieNookie.htm

You are welcome. :devil:

I loved heartedly, but I have a twisted sense of humour.
Passdagas the Brown

Beutlin wrote:
River wrote:One wonders if a princess and a pirate ever could have had a happily ever after...though PtB's read on the situation was mine as well. They had kids, something happened, and the relationship didn't survive. Maybe there was blame. Maybe one turned to substance abuse. Or maybe it all collapsed under the weight of grief.
Or maybe Han Solo finally realized that Chewbacca was more than a friend. :whistle:

http://www.downdilly.com/vday03/WookieNookie.htm

You are welcome. :devil:

I loved heartedly, but I have a twisted sense of humour.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-FKeIt-Cr8-A/U ... Mayhew.jpg

:devil: :devil:
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Beutlin, that scenario did cross my mind, but, IIRC, Harrison Ford and Chewie had a long-running feud because Chewie messed with his wife. So maybe PtB's retort is closer to what happened?

And now I need some brain bleach. As slash goes, Han/Chewie is a soft target but, even so...yeesh.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Passdagas the Brown

This is hilarious. The Force Awakens plot synopsis I first wrote here for y'all, inspired by Voronwë, Primula and River, is making the rounds on a number of entertainment news sites. Here's the roundup so far:

MakingStarWars.net: http://makingstarwars.net/2015/05/a-com ... e-awakens/

SlashFilm: http://www.slashfilm.com/one-star-wars- ... -synopsis/

Vulture: http://www.vulture.com/2015/05/heres-a- ... opsis.html

What I love about this is that it validates my belief that the most interesting things happen non-linearly. The proximate cause of this particular Star Wars spoiler coverage is the result of a request from forum members on a Tolkien messageboard who couldn't be bothered to read through a bunch of messy notes.

Too funny!
Voronwë the Faithful

I love it!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I'm glad I'm such a wimp! :D
Passdagas the Brown

Primula Baggins wrote:I'm glad I'm such a wimp! :D
Exactly! Laziness vindicated. :)
Passdagas the Brown

And now ScreenCrush: http://screencrush.com/wookieeleaks-for ... mpilation/

Headline: "Wookieleaks: Some Insane Person Has Compiled Every 'The Force Awakens' Rumor Into a Plot Synopsis."

I've graduated to "Insane Person." Woohoo! I've always wanted to be publicly recognized as insane, but no one ever really believed me.