Supergirl

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Supergirl

Post by Alatar »

Not sure what to make of this. Looks like a cross between Devil Wears Prada and Buffy...

The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Re: Supergirl

Post by Primula Baggins »

I don't hate it. Yet. It looks entertaining. But they're walking a pretty narrow fence there between being engaging for a younger female audience and being interesting to anyone else, and they could fall off on either side.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Yeeeah....I pretty much hated all of that.....
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I don't think the younger male demographic is on either side of the fence I'm talking about. But that's fine with me, given that 95% of the imaginative good-time comic-book/soft SF movies are aimed completely at you guys and have almost nothing intended to engage or interest women in particular; we've always had to read past or watch past loads of absurd sexism, or simply being ignored as an entire gender, in order to enjoy them at all.

What you just saw is an example of what it's like from our side—again, 95% of the time.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Yup. I saw a guy saying much the same thing yesterday and it's totally a fair point. Complaining that this looks too "girly" is kinda crappy when so much of this stuff is so aggressively "macho". A totally a fair point. Still - I pretty much hated all of that. :P

(Random side note but jeez, Alley McBeal hasn't aged a day!)
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Well, you've never had to learn to adjust—with this kind of media, anyway. So I understand. :P
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

It wasn't *that* girly.

I kinda like it. Watching a chick blow s*** up was refreshing.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

I used to read the Supergirl comic books. They were aimed pretty squarely at a teenage female audience. Her favourite companion was Superhorse.
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I didn't read the Supergirl comics because <looks both ways> they were too girly. So there's that. I preferred Wonder Woman—her costume was ridiculous, but she kicked rear end, and her handsome boyfriend was rarely around to get in the way. And who wouldn't want an invisible airplane? (I was six or seven.)

Of course, there was even less in the way of feminist role models in the comics in 1965 than there is now. Not that I knew there was such a thing. I thought my parents telling me I could be anything I wanted was what all little girls were told.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

My parents told me I could be anything I wanted as long as I focused on math & science. :D. Srsly. Knowing what I know now I am actually grateful for my Dad's pushy behavior in that direction as opposed to, you know, cooking.

---------------
Please bear with my typos & grammar mistakes. Sent from my iPhone - Palantirs make mistakes too.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Messages from my father were sorta mixed, but that was heavily offset by my mother and my science teachers. All of my science teachers, both the men and the women.

I was never into comic books, though the fact Supergirl and Batgirl existed made me smile. So did Wonderwoman, though her hair kinda scared me. That said, Supergirl's skirt always seemed kinda goofy to me. It still does though, through the lens of adulthood, superhero costumes in general seem goofy.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Meh, not feeling it. And I wouldn't have liked it when I was a pre-teen, either. It looks like the Black Widow trailer from Saturday Night Live. Why does she need that schmuck to tell her how to be a superhero?

If I want to watch a well-dressed chick blow sh**t up and kick a**, there's always this (not the actual sound track):

Prim, :hug: Growing up when and where I did, there was a lot of crap to deal with, including sexist crap, but no one ever questioned my intelligence just because I was a girl, and there was no lack of female kickass characters in books and movies.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

I think the main only reason I read Supergirl comics was because of Superhorse... I only remember the comics that featured him, such as the one where he was sold to someone else, and another one where he ate water lilies that caused him to forget who Supergirl was. I didn't have much tolerance for lame females who were always a) falling in love or b) having to be rescued by men, which was the usual plot for stories involving women in most movies and books. (Are things much different today? [Thinks of The Hobbit and gags.] Well, not much. Except sometimes the women have to rescue the men...)

Hmmm...I DO remember Supergirl having to help out Superman a time or two, even back in the '60's...
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

Looks entertaining, but the acting seems pretty terrible.
CosmicBob

Post by CosmicBob »

I am quite looking forward to this. Supergirl is one of my favorite characters in comics. I am not fond of the darker costume based on the Superman movie. But Benoit seems like she is capable.
CosmicBob

Post by CosmicBob »

CosmicBob wrote:I am quite looking forward to this. Supergirl is one of my favorite characters in comics. I am not fond of the darker costume based on the Superman movie. But Benoit seems like she is capable.
I've been watching this religiously. I am enjoying it immensely. The cast (Benoist especially) is very good. And I like the way they are depicting Supergirl. I will continue to watch it.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I haven't seen it yet, but the second trailer was way more encouraging than the first.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I have watched a few episodes. (There truly is nothing else on at that time, and we don't have cable.) I think the acting is pretty bad, honestly. Maybe it will improve, but it better do it soon. Otherwise, I'll have to look for something to watch on Netflix.