Say it isn't so!

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Say it isn't so!

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

:(

There are very few things you can count on always happening. On the negative side, there is death and taxes. On the positive side, there is Jon Stewart hosting the Daily Show.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Jude
Lán de Grás

Re: Say it isn't so!

Post by Jude »

What happened? :shock:
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I just got back from visiting my dad and this was what I was greeted with when I got home!

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/11/arts/ ... .html?_r=0

He announced today that he's retiring from the Daily Show later this year. I am not sure what we're going to do without BOTH Colbert (the in-character version) AND Stewart. :(
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful

It is very odd that there doesn't seem to be any information about why he is leaving, what he is going to do next, or who is going to host the Daily Show (if it even continues). I just hope it isn't that he is ill or something like that.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I love John and am sad to hear that he's leaving but I've been feeling for some time now that his heart didn't seem to be 100% in it anymore. I'm not surprised to hear he'll be moving on.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

He said he was growing restless. Not difficult to understand that one would want to do something else for a while! I typically get tired of a job after 3-4 years, so...
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Didn't he say in his on-air announcement that the longest he'd stayed in a job before this one was seven months?
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Voronwë the Faithful

Yup!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Maybe we can petition him to stay as a public service.

---------------
Please bear with my typos & grammar mistakes. Sent from my iPhone - Palantirs make mistakes too.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Has he announced his presidential candidacy yet?

That's the only thing that would reconcile me with his leaving the show.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Does anybody know anything about his replacement, Trevor Noah?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I think that announcement might as well have been made to a barnfull of owls.

Everyone went, "Who?"
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Say it isn't so!

Post by Inanna »

No clue about him at all. Other than some of his tweets are coming under scrutiny now.

I don't even feel like seeing him on THAT DESK.

Giggle, Frelga. :)

---------------
Please bear with my typos & grammar mistakes. Sent from my iPhone - Palantirs make mistakes too.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I hear he's made some appearances on the show over thw past few weeks but I haven't caught them. Those are seven-league boots he's gonna have to fill! Brave man.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Voronwë the Faithful

I've seen two of his three TDS appearances. I would classify my reaction is middling-positive. I don't much like the tweets that I saw reported, but I'm not prepared to reject him entirely over that.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I saw one appearance and liked it. But his tweets are scabrous and viciously sexist.
Voronwë the Faithful

Scabrous? That's a new one for me. Had to google it.

I agree. They are also grossly anti-Semitic. However, as one article that I read pointed out, if twitter had existed back when Jon Stewart "was a snappy, smoking, leather jacket-wearing comic in the '90s, he might have had some regrettable moments, too." That doesn't make it right, of course, but comedians try to push the limit, often in ways that are inappropriate. I think he will either grow into the role, or quickly fade away.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

The person who was retweeting the ones I saw was apparently focusing on the sexist ones. Some of them were tweeted just a couple of years ago. And gross anti-Semitism, too? If this is a comedian-culture thing, it leaves me pretty cold. :|
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I haven't seen that stuff but - is it possible some of the comments are parody or somesuch? Certainly there are plenty of quotes from Stewart's own material that could be taken out of context as sexist, anti-Semitic, or most any form of bigotry but usually within the context of the show it was clear he was mocking such views.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I don't know the guy, and I am generally not a fan of comedians using phrases "pushing boundaries" and "irreverent" as code for a "raging jackass" but I looked up one article about those tweets, and I thought they were funny. Yeah, even the one about a Jewish kid and the German car.

I've no standards, clearly.

Trevor Noah, Jon Stewart's Replacement, Goes From Hero To Villain In 24 Hours

P.S.: Also, this irrelevant but amusing exchange in the comments:
freedumb sings: You don't strike me as someone willing to pay for a higher price for a premium cup of coffee

CaptainSarcasm: If you think Starbucks is "premium coffee," you don't strike me as someone who could tell the difference anyway.