"I wander through Theresienstadt"

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Jude
Lán de Grás

"I wander through Theresienstadt"

Post by Jude »

Has anyone here heard of Ilse Weber? She was a Jewish poet and author of children's books. When the Nazis occupied Czechslovakia in 1939, she and her husband Willi managed to send their older son Hanus to safety, first to England and then after the war to Sweden.

She was interned in Theresienstadt along with Willi and her younger son Tomas in 1942. During her time there, she worked as a children's nurse, and continued to write poems and songs, often singing them for the children as she accompanied herself on guitar.

When Willi was deported to Auschwitz in 1944, Ilse volunteered to join him along with Tomas, so as to keep the family together. She and the boy were sent to the gas chamber on arrival. Willi survived them by 30 years, and Hanus is actually still alive (well, he was as of 2012 at least).

Just before leaving for Auschwitz, Willi hurriedly buried a collection of about 60 of his wife's poems and songs under a garden shed. After the war, he returned and found them undisturbed.

I recorded three of them last month. Here is the first one, "Ich wandre durch Theresienstadt":

Rough translation:

I wander through Theresienstadt, my heart as heavy as lead,
Until my path reaches its end,
There close by the bastion.

I stand there on the bridge, and look out into the valley,
How I wish I could go far away,
How I wish I could return home.

"Homeward!" You lovely word,
You make my heart heavy.
They took my home away from me,
I no longer have one.

I turn around, troubled and exhausted,
So weary in myself:
Theresienstadt, Theresienstadt!
When will suffering ever end?
When will we be free again?

More to follow...
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: "I wander through Theresienstadt"

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Wow, Jude!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Beautiful and powerful, Jude.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

The second, "Und der Regen rinnt", was no doubt written with Hanus in mind:

And the rain pours, and the rain pours,
In the darkness I think of you, my boy.
High are the mountains, deep is the sea,
My heart is weary and full of longing.
Why are you so far away, my boy?

God himself has separated us, my boy.
You don't have to see this suffering and misery,
You don't have to walk upon these stony streets.
You haven't forgotten me, my boy?
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

The last song has more of an upbeat feel to it: part of her genius was in describing the horrors she witnessed using simple, folk-like tunes. Here, she describes saying a final goodbye to a friend, hiding her true feelings with a forced cheerfulness:

Ade, Kamerad!

So long, Comrade! This is where our paths separate,
I have to be off in the morning.
I take my leave of you, they're taking me away from here,
I'm off with the Polish transport.

You often gave me courage, you've been faithful and true,
Always ready to help.
One clasp of your hand was enough to chase troubles away,
We often shared sorrows together.

So long, Comrade! I'm sad about you.
This parting weighs heavily on me.
Don't lose your courage. I've been good to you,
And now we'll never see each other again.
Voronwë the Faithful

The sadness of what she is saying juxtaposed against the more upbeat music is really poignant.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

You have a beautiful singing voice, Jude. Thank you for letting us hear such evocative songs.
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Her work is starkly poignant.

So much terrible loss.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

Thank you so much for these songs, Jude!
“Wilbur never forgot Charlotte. Although he loved her children and grandchildren dearly, none of the new spiders ever quite took her place in his heart. She was in a class by herself. It is not often that someone comes along who is a true friend and a good writer. Charlotte was both.” E. B. White, who must have had vison in mind. There's a reason why we kept putting the extra i in her name in our minds!
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Oh my goodness, Jude, this is beautiful and heart-breaking. :bow:

I can't imagine the suffering of this gifted lady and her family, and the incredible humanity and creativity she showed in the face of it. :cry:

All you can say is: the goodness of their spirits live on, while their enemies are only remembered with contempt. Love is stronger than evil, but that doesn't nullify the terrible cost. :(
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
Voronwë the Faithful

Jude, Terezín is an important place in my family's history, so these songs are particularly moving to me. I am so grateful for you in sharing them. With your permission, I would like to share them with some of my family.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Of course! But you don't need my permission - they're on youtube, so they're accessible to all. ;)

I assume you mean that some of your family were interred at Terezín. Can you tell me what happened?
Voronwë the Faithful

I don't know really know any details, other than that so far as I know they were transported to Oświęcim (Auschwitz) and perished there. My great grandparents emigrated to Brooklyn but most of their family remained in different parts of eastern Europe. I don't really know the details of how some of them ended up in Theresienstadt, unfortunately. None of that part of the family survived the war.

And yes, I do recognize that youtube is accessible to all, but I thought it would be polite to ask anyway.

(Is it terrible that my first response to your question was to just quote Aragorn from the FOTR film responding to Frodo's question about what happened to Lúthien and just say "they died"?)
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

:cry:

:hug:

I don't have words. We were all in America then, and because of the oddities of generations, all my relatives were either too old or too young to serve in that war.

Every male relative I know of in my grandfathers' generation served in WWI (except my father's father, who was just too young to serve at the end of the war). Their sons were all too young for WWII.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:(Is it terrible that my first response to your question was to just quote Aragorn from the FOTR film responding to Frodo's question about what happened to Lúthien and just say "they died"?)
No.

:hug:
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:The sadness of what she is saying juxtaposed against the more upbeat music is really poignant.
This.
Beutlin

Post by Beutlin »

Very beautiful, Jude.

I also really like your (very subtle) accent in the first two songs. It has a certain Eastern European quality to it.

PS: (I am confused, isn't "Jude" a female name?).

Are you familiar with her lullaby "Wiegala"? Some say, that Ilse Weber sang it to one of her sons while walking to the gas chamber:

Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Thanks! I do know "Wiegala", actually - I once played the piano accompaniment for a mezzo in that song. It may have been the song that she sang as they entered the gas chamber. What we know is what an inmate told Hanus years later - he saw her in the line with Tomas and about 15 other children, and risked his neck to come and talk to her. He said that he remembered her from Terezin, singing for the children. She asked if they were really to take showers, and he told her the truth. He also offered some advice: sing to the children to keep them calm, and sit them down on the floor so that the gas would work faster. Years later he found Hanus and told him of that meeting.
Beutlin wrote:PS: (I am confused, isn't "Jude" a female name?).
No. :suspicious:
Beutlin

Post by Beutlin »

I did not know the story of the inmate. Thank you for telling me!

:D Apparently, I really thought for more than a decade that Jude was a female nickname for Judith or something similar. I always assumed that that Beatles' song was about some girl named Jude. Oh well, you learn something new every day. (I am terrible with song lyrics...I never pay any attention to them.) :)
Voronwë the Faithful

It can be either, but Hey Jude was written by Paul McCartney for John Lennon's son, Julian.

---------
Sent from my LG G3 using tapatalk