Movies you stopped watching, and why

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Re: Movies you stopped watching, and why

Post by yovargas »

I believe he did Raging Bull which is easily one of my most hated movies ever. Intolerably obnoxious characters yelling at each other for 2 hours. No thanks.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Cerin

Post by Cerin »

Primula Baggins wrote:I just Googled "scorsese simpering curly" and something came right up.
Hidden text.
Was it The Age of Innocence? :D
Ding ding ding ding ding! :D
Avatar photo by Richard Lykes, used with permission.
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

I love a good ambiguous ending, and Daniel Day-Lewis is arguably the best actor ever. But I couldn't quite get into that film either. Though that's mostly for the story itself, rather than Scorcese's direction, which seemed pretty competent. Like Cerin, I'm not a fan of too much simpering.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Adding a new one to my list: Superman Returns.

Superman and Lois Lane have a baby? REALLY? By what miracle of genetics was this achieved? :roll: (Remembers Mr. Prim's comments about Spock's origins...)

Oh, and Lois snips Superman's uniform with a pair of scissors: the same invulnerable uniform that later survives re-entry into Earth's atmosphere with nary a scorch mark. Um, riiiiiight....

And those are just the two most annoying moments!

Okay there WERE a few good things...Kevin Spacey does a good job of playing Lex Luthor. He's evil, but not over-the-top evil, if you know what I mean. Too often super villains are two-dimensional cardboard caricatures.

Some of the visuals of Superman flying were GORGEOUS. The movie was quite impressive visually, and left me wondering how they did some of the sets with the giant crystals.

One of Luthor's henchmen sits down at the piano and plays Heart and Soul with Lois's son. Okay, you may not agree, but I thought that was kind of a nice touch. Made the guy seem more human, despite the weird tattoo on his bald skull! And made me feel a pang of regret when he got killed a short time later... :bawl:

But other than that, the plot was horrible, the dialogue wooden and unremarkable, and the whole thing just totally unbelievable.
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.