The last movie you saw Thread

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Re: The last movie you saw Thread

Post by Smaug's voice »

Black Panther - Saw it
BlakkKlansman - Saw it
Bohemian Rhapsody - Saw it
The Favourite -
Green Book - Saw it
Roma - Saw it
A Star is Born - Saw it
Vice

I'm just very happy that Yalitzi Aparacio (Roma) who's not even a professional actor, became the first ever indigenous person to be nominated. Very unexpected but very well deserved.
Unless The Favourite proves me wrong, Roma is the film to beat.

Of the ones I've seen, Blackkklansman is the only other film which I actually liked. I don't think it's been a bland year for movies, but the movies that did get attention are mostly very mediocre. (And Bohemian Rhapsody nominated for Best Picture is a travesty imo) That said, I'm very much looking forward to The Favourite since I loved Lanthimos' previous two - The Lobster and Killing of a Sacred Deer.
I genuinely loved Eighth Grade, Hereditary, Death of Stalin and would happily swap it with Black Panther, Green Book and Bohemian Rhapsody.

(I'm not sure where to post this, but I'm having trouble logging in from my phone for the past few months. Whenever I log in, it gets logged out instantaneously. Works fine on the laptop though.)
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Smaug's voice wrote:I'm just very happy that Yalitzi Aparacio (Roma) who's not even a professional actor, became the first ever indigenous person to be nominated. Very unexpected but very well deserved.
That was a nice surprise. :) I was surprised because her role was actually kinda small and subdued, but it was also very lovely.
Smaug's voice wrote:I genuinely loved Eighth Grade, Hereditary, Death of Stalin and would happily swap it with Black Panther, Green Book and Bohemian Rhapsody.

Eight Grade was my favorite movie of the year and it got zero noms (not counting Avengers :) ). Disappointing but unsurprising. I didn't personally like Hereditary but it was certainly a more striking, note-worthy movie than half of their choices.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Smaug's voice wrote:I'm just very happy that Yalitzi Aparacio (Roma) who's not even a professional actor, became the first ever indigenous person to be nominated.

Hey Prim, I was thinking, this actress (she's the one in the middle) might make a good Linnea for when I finally get that Hidden World tv series going. What do you think?

:D
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Yes! But I doubt we could afford her. :D
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

Well, I saw The Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy (2005). Was really disappointing, and I didn't even expect that much though the opening musical number gave me hope. The big problem, I think, is not even the deviations from the book (some of them worked, some didn't) so much as that most of the characters are miscast.

As for the Best Picture nominees, I've only seen BlacKKKlansman and Black Panther. BlackKKlansman is a much, much better movie I think - Panther has some neat ideas and a good villain (and I realize it's an important moment for diversity in Hollywood) but doesn't really rise above its superhero formula at the end of the day, and the action scenes aren't even that good. I agree that Death of Stalin should probably be in there.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I watched some high quality entertainment on the planes.

The Meg - surprisingly NOT awful, but also not terribly good either :rofl: I am a bit of a sucker for stupid action movies like that, though. It kept me entertained. I was a bit traumatized by the whale carnage, however. I didn't care for the male lead, but I thought the Chinese actress, Bingbing Li, was good (and insanely pretty). Ruby Rose was better than I thought she'd be, and Rainn Wilson did a good job, too.

Can You Ever Forgive Me? Unfortunately, I dozed off through most of this movie, so I can't even say if it was good or not. I remember liking the parts of it I was awake for. ??

Life of the Party (Apparently, United was on a Melissa McCarthy kick.) - I thought this was pretty damn funny, maybe because parts of it hit close to home. I don't know. It was a good distraction from riding in an airplane.

Christopher Robin - Okay, by this point, I was complete toast, having been up for like a zillion hours, with a sore tailbone from sitting for a zillion more, and, otherwise, completely miserable. But this was pretty stupid. ?? Did anyone else think so? I was so angry with Pooh (what an annoying dork!) that I was about to shut it off, but I needed something to distract me from landing. (I was going to watch Colette, but it had a warning about nudity and sexual situations. I had young boys sitting behind me, and the plane was dark. I didn't think it'd be cool to watch it, but it does make me wonder about why they even had it as an option.) Anyway, I only watched the beginning, and that was enough. :x (But Ewan McGregor... :wooper: )
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

What Happened To Monday

It was a little gruesome to watch in places, but overall I found it compelling. Relatively realistic given the subject-matter. It had some pretty good twists, good suspense, etc.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

There are about a dozen movies playing at the multiplex and not a one I want to see. There's Jason Momoa Wet and Half Naked, but the next show is after 10pm. Everything else is either too silly (without the hotness) or too sentimental.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I took Frelga's advice and split off posts into a new Movies we are looking forward to seeing thread.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Túrin Turambar wrote:I just saw (appropriately for Remembrance Day) Peter Jackson’s new film, They Shall Not Grow Old. It’s a First World War documentary constructed pretty much entirely from contemporary footage (some colourised) and voice overs from veterans (archive footage, as they’re all dead now).

I really liked it for how much detail it went into on everyday experience, from what the men thought when they enlisted, to what basic training was like, to what it was like at the Front during quiet times, to what it felt like to come home. There’s no maps or politics or descriptions of campaigns, but I was engaged for the entire film and came away knowing more than when I went in.

It also reminded me how good a filmmaker Peter Jackson can be if you just give him sounds and visuals and don’t require him to write dialogue or come up with a plot on his own. I wish he was more cognisant of his strengths and weaknesses, because he can produce some amazing film when he plays to his strengths.

I got the unexpected chance to see this in theaters last night and am quite glad I did. I had mostly been interested in it because I find the technical wizardry of restoring ancient film to color fascinating, and I had expected that would be the primary hook for the movie, but was surprised to find a moving, captivating, enlightening movie even apart from the impressive tech stuff. It's very smartly, cleverly put together and did indeed serve to remind me that PJ can have really great instincts as a film maker when he has his heart in the right place.
-The Decemberists

kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

I saw Who Framed Roger Rabbit? and really enjoyed it. The animation and combination with live action is very impressive even today, and the plot makes for a really fun noir parody. Don't think I'd show it to kids though!
Voronwë the Faithful

I did, back in my serious hippy days, actually on an off-day when I was on tour with the Dead (over 30 years ago!). It was a very fitting experience!

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

You were on tour with the Dead? Or by that do you mean that you were following the tour?

Either way, cool! I was putting my husband through grad school (first) and having babies (second).

Not that that wasn’t cool, because it totally was. Really.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Voronwë the Faithful

Yes, following them around, going to shows, selling bracelets and bumper stickers that we made. That was a year before we made our trip out west, so we were still living in D.C.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

What's wrong with showing "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" to kids?
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Yeah, I had the same thought. But then I think Watership Down is a great kids movie! :)
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

The only complaint I've had from my kids (they are adults now) about movie choices when they were young was "The Rocky Horror Picture Show". My youngest daughter has scolded me several times about that.

That didn't stop her from dressing up as one of the characters one Halloween (as an adult) so she couldn't have been too traumatized by it.

edit: She's also dressed up as Jessica Rabbit one Halloween not long ago. The girl likes her costumes.
edit 2: Woman! The woman likes her costumes! (pet peeve- women past their teens should not be referred to as girls)
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

No kidding.

I’m being driven mildly crazy by the fad for novel titles that do exactly this. They’re all THE GIRL WHO... or THE GIRL WITH THE... or [ADJECTIVE] GIRL, and the book is almost never about a 12-year-old (unless the plot premise is solving her murder, yechhh).

Sorry to be off topic, but I was on the verge of tweeting about this and it was better to let off steam here.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Yeah, but English doesn't really have a word for "young woman who is no longer a child but not all the way to adulthood".

My pet peeve is titles where a woman is described as That Man's Something. Time Traveler's Wife. The Hangman's Daughter. And so on. If I ever write a fantasy book, it will be titled The Fortune Teller's Husband. :D

PS: where's your Twitter and would it be OK if it were followed by a Frelga (I am NOT putting my real name on Twitter).
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I’m @[myrealfirstandlastnameruntogether]. I don’t tweet much—I’m mostly there to follow writers whose work I admire and learn stuff, and also some politics. You’re welcome to follow me (anyone here is—PM me if you don't know my real name). I follow back unless asked not to.

As for the category you mention, I think “young woman” is mainly used from maybe 14 to 21? Not zippy enough for titles, I guess.

And I share your additional gripe. Love being defined by who I ostensibly belong to.