The last movie you saw Thread

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: The last movie you saw Thread

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Did you enjoy the earlier Bourne films with Damon, Frelga?
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I liked the first three fine, and I really enjoyed the 4th with Renner.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Anyone looking forward to Arrival? Looks like one of the better,more cerebral SciFi-fare than the norm.
It's been getting rave reviews.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I am, mostly because that director's last movie, Sicario, was quite good.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Haven't heard of it, will look it up.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Posted on Facebook:

Just rewatched Superman The Movie with the kids. Still far superior to Man of Steel and makes Batman v Superman look simply embarrassing. Chris Reeves managed to be cool while playing the ultimate Boy Scout and adorably dorky as Clark Kent. Henry Cavills Clark looked like a hipster. Richard Donner showed how it should be done in 1979, what the hell does Zack Snyder think he's making. Watchmen 2?
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Wrong man for the job.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I agree Al, I could not sit through Man of Steel and still love the original superman movie.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Went and saw Dr. Strange today. Super duper amazingly cool visual effects. Worth the price of admission for that alone. The story.....well, I loved the ideas behind the story, lots of really potentially imaginative and intriguing stuff but it's all kind of....under-developed. So while plenty of fun, it all ends up feeling rather thin from a story and character pov. Sad cuz with a bit more gristle this could been one of Marvel's very best.
-The Decemberists

Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

I concur.
The action could also have been much more innovative (along the lines of the hallway fight in Inception).
And I wish Marvel stopped casting such superb actors for such vaguely defined Villains. Mads Mikkelsen still pulled it off to make it somewhat convincing., though it could have been vastly better.

Loved the climax though. Thought it was heading for another City Apocalypse moment, but ahem.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Smaug's voice wrote:The action could also have been much more innovative (along the lines of the hallway fight in Inception).
While the art & fx team did amazing work, the actual direction of the action scenes was often pretty run of the mill. Disappointing when you have such astonishing material to work with.

And at this point, I think Marvel must be doing the disposable, forgettable villain thing on purpose. I can't think of any other explanation for it.
-The Decemberists

Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I went to see Inferno. <yawn> It wasn't terrible, but I wish we'd picked the right night for the $5 seats instead of having to pay full price.
eborr

Post by eborr »

Doc Strange - with the boy's - Liked it a lot, Dr Strange was always one of my favourites. I was sceptical of Cumberbatch in the role, but I was wrong, he did a good job, and I like Tilda Swinton - even if she generally does "Tilda Swinton" in most of the roles she takes on
Since 1410 most Welsh people most of the time have abandoned any idea of independence as unthinkable. But since 1410 most Welsh people, at some time or another, if only in some secret corner of the mind, have been "out with Owain and his barefoot scrubs." For the Welsh mind is still haunted by it's lightning-flash vision of a people that was free.

Gwyn A. Williams,
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

eborr wrote: I like Tilda Swinton - even if she generally does "Tilda Swinton" in most of the roles she takes on

A little like Cate Blanchett in that regard--it takes a solid director to pull her actual acting ability out of her.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

We saw Fantastic Beasts yeterday. Disappointing.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

That's too bad, Impish. I thought it looked great from the trailer.

We saw Dr. Strange yesterday. It exceeded my expectations. Great use of special effects and Cumberbatch was very good. Tilda Swinton, eh, not my favorite. Emotionally, it was a bit of a miss, given that the Iron Man already covered the same ground, with, imo, better results.

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I thoroughly enjoyed Fantastic Beasts. Loved Eddie Redmayne as Scamander, and the 1920's New York setting gives it a different vibe to HP, while still being firmly in the same universe. In fact, I'd say after only one viewing its one of my favourite Potterverse movies. My impressions may change over time.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

I saw Frozen on TV last night, and am glad I didn't spend the money to see it on the big screen.

Visually, it's beautiful, but the plot, the singing...meh. I really don't understand all the hype I've heard about it. And as for Disney heroines that don't need men in their lives - Mulan, and more especially, Meridia in Brave were far better!

Brave grabbed me emotionally in a way this movie didn't. It genuinely moved me, and I was close to tears at the final scene, where the bear is slain.
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I'm hoping to see Arrival next weekend. If we really went nuts and saw two movies, I think the second would be Dr. Strange.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Go Nuts!! ;)
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude