Song Meanings and Interpretations

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Song Meanings and Interpretations

Post by Alatar »

I thought this might be an interesting thread. I've often wondered what the lyrics of some songs refer to, whether they are just stream of consciousness, or have a deeper meaning. For instance, Freddie Mercury always stated that there was no real meaning to the lyrics of Bohemian Rhapsody, but that has never stopped people from trying to interpret it.

Anyway, what put this in my head recently was when I posted a copy of Weird Al's "The Saga Begins" on facebook, and it started me wondering about the lyrics for Don McLean's "American Pie".

A quick google brought up this fascinating interpretation:
http://understandingamericanpie.com/

Granted, Don McLean has not confirmed it, but he makes a pretty compelling argument.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I agree it is a compelling argument, and much of it is pretty irrefutable. Thanks for sharing it. Definitely an excellent read.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

American Pie is an age-specific touchstone (or perhaps shibboleth?); I got bits of it when I was younger, but other parts remained opaque until others a few years older explained them to me.

Mostly I remember it for being one of the few songs I'd heard that took both sides of a 45. :)