Star Trek: Into Darkness

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

TNG took about a season and a half to find the right tone, in my opinion. Since it is set about 75 years after the original Trek, it could be a bit more "modern" (for lack of a better word) yet still retain the spirit of Star Trek...Roddenberry's optimistic vision for the human race.

I love the original series, but some of the episodes of TNG were outstanding. "The Inner Light" was definitely one, as well as "Darmock" and "Offspring" where Data builds himself a daughter. Loved the two-parter with Mark Twain, too. And TNG introduces the Borg, who are the coolest bad guys ever.

I love the whole Trek universe, actually...and all the incarnations.
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

The only StarTrek series we didn't finish was Star Trek Enterprise. It was just bad.

We are even slowly going through a animated series that stars the voices of the original crew. :love: That's kind of fun. I don't actually watch it, because animated faces generally really bother me- but I listen while my husband watches, with occasional glances when I can't figure out what's happening from the dialogue. They are just like original series episodes.

Kinda sorta.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

They has some of the OS writers to work with. And like the OS, they recruited some "name" writers from SF: Larry Niven adapted a Kzinti story for the animated series.
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

I saw this a couple of days ago, and I found it entertaining but, in the end, kind of forgettable.

I suppose I have a lot of the same criticism of II as I did of I - a notionally strong villain but with a weird and hard-to-grasp motive and overcomplicated plan, and a plot that seems contrived in order to ensure that matters will be resolved with fistfights among the main characters. In a highly-advanced civilisation where a fleet of spaceships is manned by hundreds of trained crew members, it seems odd to me that the same couple of people always seem to end up doing everything by hand.

I had never seen any Star Trek before the J. J. Adams reboot (which I did like), but I also get the impression these films are heavy on homage and sentimentality towards the older series. Which I find, as a non-Trekkie, doesn't really work. Leonard Nemoy's appearance meant nothing to me.

That said, the entire series may tie itself together nicely in the end, so who knows. The elements seem to be falling into place.