Star Wars VII: The Force Awakens—non-spoiler discussion

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Could he do worse than George?
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Something that didn't get commented on much from what I saw. The company was bought for $4 billion and since George owns the company 100% that means that he, personally, gets the $4 billion. :shock: He's said he's giving it all to charity but still, yeesh! Surely that's got to be some kinda record of some sort, right?
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I think it was $2Bn Cash and $2Bn shares, so its not really that much is it...
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Oh, is that all? :P
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Oh yeah. $2 billion in cash. That's total chump change. ;)
When you can do nothing what can you do?
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

I'll take it if he doesn't want it.
For the TROUBLED may you find PEACE
For the DESPAIRING may you find HOPE
For the LONELY may you find LOVE
For the SKEPTICAL may you find FAITH
-Frances C. Arrillaga 1941-1995
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

So the director for the first new Star Wars movie will be J.J. Abrams. Who, yes, directed the first new Star Trek movie and has another one coming out in May. Dueling franchises!

This comes from The Wrap, which posted the story less than 90 minutes ago. I found out about it when my L.A.-based son sent me the link with three words: "I peed myself."

I didn't go that far, but I'm a happy fangirl. Abrams knows how to direct a special effects–heavy film without losing sight of the characters, which is something Lucas himself never mastered.

The script is being written by Michael Arndt, who won an Oscar for his screenplay for Little Miss Sunshine and also wrote or co-wrote Toy Story 3, Brave, and the next Hunger Games movie.

I've read that Disney is planning to bring in a variety of directors for the new films. That could be fun. Ben Affleck apparently wanted this first film and couldn't get it.

The film is tentatively scheduled for release in 2015.

J.J. Abrams Set to Direct Next 'Star Wars' Film (Exclusive)
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

I am with your son. :happydance:
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

This could definitely be interesting.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Arndt is a big gun screenwriter. This might go places.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I can't tell you how excited I am. J.J. Abrams' Star Trek exceeded my expectations in every possible way. The thought of a Star Wars movie that does the same is, well, thrilling.

See, in 1977 I was 18 years old and I saw Star Wars (the original) at a huge theater on Times Square in New York. I still have the program (apparently worth several hundred dollars). My brother and I were singing what we could remember of the score to each other for most of the night after we saw it.

We went back the next morning to see it again. I had never, never seen a "lived-in" science fiction universe on film before: a land speeder that zipped along without wheels but was covered with dust and had a few dings in the front fender, for example. It shook me to the core, the idea that "the future" (or in this case, the past far, far away) was somewhere that people lived. I knew that, I read science fiction; I just had never seen a movie that knew that.

And I think J.J. Abrams might be able to recreate that incredible realization. Because he was able to recreate the excitement, the sense of possibility, that I loved about the original Star Trek.

Whew. I guess I am excited.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Voronwë the Faithful

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Benedict Cumberbatch playing a Sith?!?

Oh, I am so there.
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

It has potential. I'm still curious if they're going to use any of the stories that have been written, or something totally new...

I expect something new.
For the TROUBLED may you find PEACE
For the DESPAIRING may you find HOPE
For the LONELY may you find LOVE
For the SKEPTICAL may you find FAITH
-Frances C. Arrillaga 1941-1995
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I kind of hope something new. I read a few of the better novels (recommended by my son) a number of years ago, and they were pretty enjoyable space opera. But the original Star Wars was based only on imagination and was sui generis. The novels are adaptations based on a film. Why adapt the new films from adaptations?
Voronwë the Faithful

I'm pretty sure that with a "big gun" screenwriter (as per Ax above) like Michael Arndt on board it is likely to be a new story, and not a rehash of one of the novelizations.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I hope so. Freedom of imagination is what is needed here.
Voronwë the Faithful

If the rumor is true, Cumberbatch will consecutively play Khan, Smaug, Sauron and a Sith lord (and not a one and done Sith lord like Darth Maul). How's that for a series of villians?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

As my husband just pointed out, he hasn't played Ming the Merciless yet. =:)
Voronwë the Faithful

As an example of my lack of geekiness, I had to google that.