Star Wars VII: The Force Awakens—non-spoiler discussion

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

Not bad. Better than The Phantom Menace (and I hope the film is, too!)
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

So far as it goes, it is encouraging. Of course, being a better film than Episode One is not a very high bar. I am hoping for something more in the realm of The Empire Strikes Back.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:So far as it goes, it is encouraging. Of course, being a better film than Episode One is not a very high bar. I am hoping for something more in the realm of The Empire Strikes Back.
I wouldn't set my expectations quite so high - that's like expecting a gangster movie to be as good as The Godfather! I just want a fun adventure that captures some of the OT's spirit.
Last edited by kzer_za on Tue May 06, 2014 11:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

IMO, being as good as his JJA's recent Star Treks would be pretty darn acceptable. (But then, I am one of the 16 or so people alive who don't much like SW soooo.....)
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Passdagas the Brown

Abrams, along with Ron Howard, are the most paint-by-numbers filmmakers in the spotlight today. Nothing they do veers one bit from the standard Hollywood model. Focus-grouped is the best way to describe their "products."

However, I hold out hope that the original Star Wars characters (and hopefully designs that are close to the OT) will stir some of the old feelings that the prequels utterly failed to stir.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

While I can see what you are saying, I think you do Abrams a disservice by lumping him with Ron Howard. I think there is a wide gap between the two of them.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Passdagas the Brown

Depends on your definition of "wide gap" I suppose. :)

Honestly, I'd rather see Peter Jackson take on Star Wars. Even though I don't particularly care for his style, at least he has one!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Speaking personally—Star Trek is dear to me, and has been all my life going back to the age of 8. And I thought the first film, especially, felt more like ST as I first loved it than any other Star Trek film. This from a man who, as has been pointed out upthread, was never particularly into Star Trek before he got the job.

But he loves Star Wars much as I love Star Trek (I came too late to Star Wars to love it that way; I'm 8 years older than he is). He has proved (to me) that he knows how to make an exciting and enjoyable film. He hires good actors and lets them act. And he writes so much better than Lucas.

I'm hopeful.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Passdagas the Brown

And he writes so much better than Lucas.
So does this guy: https://theperfectdaughter.files.wordpr ... f-wood.jpg

:)
Passdagas the Brown

Though I do admit to generally enjoying the first ST film from Abrams. Nothing special, IMO, but enjoyable nonetheless (and it cemented my belief that Karl Urban is a great actor). The second one was a huge miss, though, despite the Cumberbatch presence.
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

I loved both the "rebooted" Star Trek movies. I admit to squealing out loud (in an almost empty theatre at a noontime showing) when Nimoy made his cameo appearance.

I adored the first three Star Wars sagas…at the time, they were ground-breaking and very, very cool indeed in 1977. And great fun with the quasi-spirituality and "The Force" and all that jazz.

But I never got past "The Phantom Menace" in the second three instalments. I remember my son had it on video and I was home from work one day and thought, "Gee, I liked that first ones so much - maybe I'll like this."

I sat there for the entire film, thinking to myself, "It cannot possibly get any worse" and then it would get worse and I would think "Well, it has GOT to get better at SOME point" and then it wouldn't get any better and when it was over I never wanted to hear anything about Star Wars ever again.
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

What is this "Phantom Menace" of which you speak? :scratch:
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

Lord. It was utterly execrable.

(Where's the "puke" emoticon when you need it?)
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Passdagas the Brown wrote:Abrams, along with Ron Howard, are the most paint-by-numbers filmmakers in the spotlight today. ... Honestly, I'd rather see Peter Jackson take on Star Wars. Even though I don't particularly care for his style, at least he has one!
I don't know which Star Trek movies you watched but the ones I saw were stylish as all get out.
-The Decemberists

kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

But I never got past "The Phantom Menace" in the second three instalments. I remember my son had it on video and I was home from work one day and thought, "Gee, I liked that first ones so much - maybe I'll like this."

I sat there for the entire film, thinking to myself, "It cannot possibly get any worse" and then it would get worse and I would think "Well, it has GOT to get better at SOME point" and then it wouldn't get any better and when it was over I never wanted to hear anything about Star Wars ever again.
Attack of the Clones is even worse! People sometimes single out Revenge of the Sith as the good one, but it really is only marginally better - still bad (I liked it the first time I saw it in theaters, and every time I've seen it since I like it less).

Anyway, I enjoyed the first rebooted Star Trek film. Only saw it once, though, and no particular urge to see it again - but then, I've never watched much Trek. Haven't seen Into Darkness.
Last edited by kzer_za on Wed May 07, 2014 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

My favourite SW film was Return of the Jedi.

I enjoyed the Star Trek reboot. It was good, not great. And I confess I teared up when they had Nimoy do the voice-over at the end: "Space, the final frontier..."

I was thinking (and I'm sure I wasn't the only one thinking this!) "This is probably the last time I will ever hear Nimoy's voice in Star Trek film!" :bawl:
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

JewelSong wrote:Lord. It was utterly execrable.

(Where's the "puke" emoticon when you need it?)

Here: :puke:

I wish I could pretend it never happened, but, alas, I cannot.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Look, we all know the prequels sucked, but without them, we never would have known Darth Vader's opinion on sand, so we can at least be thankful for that.

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hi5jjXTPtyY)
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

It just kills me what Lucas did with a mythic, wonderful story. Told right, it could have been a classic for the ages. Enthralling, emotionally wrenching, unforgettable. What he put upon the screen was the bloodless, desiccated, brainless corpse of that story.

Gah.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Re: Disney buys Lucasfilm

Post by Jude »

Better than the original! :banana: