Star Wars VII: The Force Awakens—non-spoiler discussion

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Re: Star Wars VII: The Force Awakens—non-spoiler discussion

Post by Impenitent »

So cool! I want to get one of these for my great nephew!
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Nah, this is what I want...

The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

But BB-8 had personality!
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Does he fly? Huh? Does he? I don't think so!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

That thing's neat but....isn't it just a regular ol' RC copter with a Falcon shell?
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

"Just"? That is so cool!
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I think this can go in this thread.
Attachments
force awakens.jpg
force awakens.jpg (47.18 KiB) Viewed 6448 times
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

<starts trembling internally and feeling a bit weepy and going OMG OMG OMG>
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Trailer number three.

More Finn, Rey, and Poe. And Han saying something along the lines of "Yeah, all that actually happened." And Leia losing it.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Eerily reminiscent of the freakout over a female lead in a Mad Max movie. And we all know how that turned out...
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I can't respond to that hashtag. Must first come to terms with the stupidity and racism it represents.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

It made me laugh. This fan's comment just about sums up my feelings:
Lemme get this straight:
Wookies, Ewoks & Droids are fine but a BLACK PERSON is a problem?
Go home.You're Drunk.
Oh yeah, and not to mention Jabba the Hutt, and whatever race Jar Jar Binks was!

Edit: Jar Jar was a Gungan. And Lucas was accused of making him a racial caricature: :roll:
Joe Morgenstern of The Wall Street Journal described the character as a "Rastafarian Stepin Fetchit on platform hoofs, crossed annoyingly with Butterfly McQueen."[14] Patricia J. Williams suggested that many aspects of Jar Jar's character are highly reminiscent of the archetypes portrayed in blackface minstrelsy,[15] while others have suggested the character is a "laid-back clown character" representing a black Caribbean stereotype.[16][17] George Lucas has denied any racist implications.[18] Ahmed Best also rejected the allegations, saying that "Jar Jar has nothing to do with the Caribbean".[19]

In August 2015, George Lucas stated that Jar Jar had been based on Disney's Goofy.[5]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jar_Jar_Binks

Geez, there's just no pleasing some people... :doh:
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I think we're dealing with a bunch of Luke and Han and Obi-Wan and Qui-Gonn wannabes. The mystic powerful man. Through their filters, the mystic powerful white man, to whose mystic power any other description of being is a threat (so, "powerful"? Alrighty then).

I'm sad that this is happening, but I think they're basically the guys with their faces pressed against the glass. The rest of us will be enjoying something they apparently can't enjoy on terms the rest of us are happy to accept.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Sadly not surprised. Same people were upset about the handful of Laketown extras in the Hobbit. In general, the angrier that termite heap gets, the more chances that whatever they are protesting is good entertainment.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Poor, poor white people and their under-representation in big Hollywood movies......

I feel like I've been seeing that "white genocide" idea a lot of late. Such a strange, strange notion.
-The Decemberists

Beutlin

Post by Beutlin »

I on the other hand think that this The Hollywood Reporter article is merely a reflection of bad modern journalism. The premise of the article is such a nonstory really. Basically the author just informs us that there are people on the internet that like Star Wars and are racists. I am shocked, utterly shocked! I would have never believed that a hugely popular film franchise such as Star Wars would also attract racists and what baffles me even more is that these people actually have the nerve to voice their opinion on the internet. After all, the internet is known as a place of civil discourse where hate and distrust never became homely.

The Hollywood Reporter goes on to quote specific tweets. I mean this is what passes for journalism these days? There is also strong evidence that the hashtag reached critical mass via 4chan, so that’s that. Now, this might be a proper news story if there was as “Boycott Star Wars” petition which attracted 100K people or if someone prominent had come out as a Star Wars racist (lol) but as it stands today it is just one more of these “some-idiots-on-the-internet-do-not-like-a-certain-upcoming-pop-culture-product” stories. The same was true for “Mad Max” (which was not universally boycotted by all MRAs before it reached the news but got one article on a specific website) and arguably for the original black-storm trooper “outrage”. These news-cycle always work the same:

1. You have got a tiny minority of racists et al. who write angry articles, Tumblr posts, Tweets about an upcoming blockbuster.
2. These opinions are picked up by professional trolls such as 4chan and are raised in prominence.
3. Other Twitter followers eventually become aware of the “story” and voice their opposition to these racists et al.
4. Eventually the media, and sometimes even certain filmmakers, pick up on the story.
5. Everyone feels good about themselves: The racists for exposing “white genocide” (lol) and reaching a wider audience, the trolls for starting the whole controversy, the vast majority of “liberal” Twitter for criticizing racist Twitter, and the filmmakers for successfully politicizing their product to a certain spectrum of the audience (in other words, some people are going to see Star Wars now to battle racists.)

Twitter and other social media channels are for moral posturing and what is better for moral posturing than denouncing racists on pop culture.

http://boards.4chan.org/pol/thread/5400 ... s-habbenig
http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-ways-powe ... underdogs/
http://freebeacon.com/blog/there-is-no- ... ntroversy/
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

A very good point, Beutlin. :) I do often forget how the internet really works these days and it's easy to fall in that trap.

I do contend that, anecdotally, it does feel like I've been seeing certain kinds of this stuff around more and more around the internet. The “white genocide” thing, but even more so the whole "feminists are the worst people in the world" thing. But you're right to say it probably doesn't ultimately mean too much at the end of the day.
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Beutlin, there's more of the "white genocide" thing in American politics now, which is probably why an American entertainment newspaper spent time on this phenomenon. As far as I can tell, it's not so much the attitude becoming more prevalent as it is that its proponents have finally learned how to type on the Internet machine. They can promulgate their views more easily now than when they had to do it by making blurry photocopies and stuffing them under the windshield wipers of cars parked at shopping malls.

It is also fairly obvious to many, including me, that this has been building throughout the Obama presidency, as a gut reaction to the sight of a non-white man in the most powerful position in our country's government. This, along with other demographically caused social changes such as acceptance of LGBT people, is apparently a sign that our entire culture is headed for destruction ("cats and dogs, living together!").
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

If this were a voice of a "tiny minority", Trump wouldn't be leading GOP candidate polls.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!