Brave

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Folca

Brave

Post by Folca »

I normally don't go to Disney stuff, but this one had a Celtic type soundtract and some pretty good voice talent, so I decided to give it a try.

I was actually very impressed. I will buy it on DVD when it comes out. The last time a Disney movie was purchased by me with enthusiasm was "Curse of the Black Pearl."

It is pretty standard Disney stuff, but I liked it much better that other empowerment films like "Mulan." To me, it felt like it had more to offer on a variety of levels. And, again, the soundtract was terrific. It is already on order from Amazon. :)
"Ut Prosim"
"There are some things that it is better to begin than refuse, even though the end may be dark" Aragorn
"Those who commit honorable acts need no forgiveness"
http://killology.com/sheep_dog.htm
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Folca, did it have the Hobbit trailer?
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Isn't Brave a Pixar movie?
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Pixar is owned by Disney.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

That doesn't make it a Disney movie. Its a Pixar movie, which is a very, very different thing to a Disney movie. Is "The Lord of the Rings" a JRR Tolkien book, or a Houghton Mifflin/Allen and Unwin book? Both are factually correct, but only one matters.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

To be honest, "Brave's" DNA is as much Disney as Pixar. The pacing and tone were more Disneyesque than Pixary. That said, it's still purely Pixar visually, and the main relationship (between mother and daughter) is more complicated than you get in Disney animation.

Changing directors in mid stream probably had something to do with the tonal dissonance.

And yes, it had the existing Hobbit trailer.
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

I had no trailers. The art lived up to pixars standard, but the story was painfully cliched. I expect more from Pixar, but this story seemed aimed at kids that had never seen a mishmash of other fairy tales and teen angst films :).

That said, the characters were great and the soundtrack was awesome, so it wont get relegated to the bottom of the pixar pile.
For the TROUBLED may you find PEACE
For the DESPAIRING may you find HOPE
For the LONELY may you find LOVE
For the SKEPTICAL may you find FAITH
-Frances C. Arrillaga 1941-1995
Folca

Post by Folca »

It did have the trailer for The Hobbit. Excited for December now.

I wasn't surprised it was cliched. One, it is a child's movie, two, it is Disney/Pixar. Neither company makes deep, resonant movies and that is why I hardly ever watch movies produced by either.

At least they pulled out a great soundtract and a decent movie.
"Ut Prosim"
"There are some things that it is better to begin than refuse, even though the end may be dark" Aragorn
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Folca wrote: I wasn't surprised it was cliched. One, it is a child's movie, two, it is Disney/Pixar. Neither company makes deep, resonant movies and that is why I hardly ever watch movies produced by either.
Them's fightin' words! I'll leave it to Ax to explain why Wall-E in particular rises well above the crowd.
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

nah, wall-e is childish/simplistic in its own way, but it is much more original.

The Incredibles and Up are Pixar's true triumphs ;).
For the TROUBLED may you find PEACE
For the DESPAIRING may you find HOPE
For the LONELY may you find LOVE
For the SKEPTICAL may you find FAITH
-Frances C. Arrillaga 1941-1995
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

How I love The Incredibles. :love:

Up made me cry. And the dogs are fabulous. "Squirrel!"
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Wall-E is to movies what The Waste Land was to poetry: a recursive, almost fractal act of self-reference in which the end of one cycle of civilization and art brings about the beginning of the next cycle. The seeds of culture are contained in even refuse--and what are works of art but the most precious byproducts of a wasteful society?--for those who know to look for them.

I would put Wall-E, Up, The Incredibles and Ratatouille up against any "adult" movie made in the Western World over the last 50 years. What they are is deceptively slick, like thin ice over a deep, deep lake.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Meh.
Dig deeper.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

axordil wrote: I would put Wall-E, Up, The Incredibles and Ratatouille up against any "adult" movie made in the Western World over the last 50 years. What they are is deceptively slick, like thin ice over a deep, deep lake.
I haven't seen The Incredibles, but I agree regarding the other two.

Wall-E is actually a great date movie and should totally be watched with the one you love. Unfortunately, the one I love generally rejects animations, even Pixar, so I'm SOL until the Rivulet is old enough to enjoy such things. Because then, then S will have no choice. Bwahahaha! =:)

This is also a roundabout way of saying I want to see brave but probably won't. I have watched the trailers and the ring of standing stones looks much like the Ring of Brodgar. My brother got married there. There's no forest to speak of in the Orkneys, but whatever. I've been to some other parts of Scotland, so I'm wondering if they incorporated other landmarks I can recognize.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

vison, the queen (of the universe) of the one-word put-down. :D
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

I can't speak for the Orkneys, but the Highlands were deforested during the...well, sometime between the Middle Ages and the Industrial Revolution. I don't have the dates at hand, but I know there were discussions of re-forestation as early as the 18th century.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

IIRC, the Orkneys were deforested sometime in the last couple hundred years. Attempts at reforestation were made, but the only place the trees took hold was the only place that had any shelter from the wind.

Did I mention it's windy there?
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I'm hearing good things about Brave from my friends who have seen it. Mostly, I'm hearing that it manages to avoid the typical "Look how stupid the grownups are!" theme, which I think is pretty unusual these days.

Given that, the Celtic theme, and the girl with the red hair I've always wanted, I will be seeing it. Besides, I really like Pixar movies.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Mostly, I'm hearing that it manages to avoid the typical "Look how stupid the grownups are!" theme
This is true. The father is comical, but not stupid. The mother is stern, but not cold. Too hot, perhaps, as is her daughter. They're a more-or-less functional family unit, but with significant issues.
Folca

Post by Folca »

Haven't seen "Up." "Wall-E" was okay, but I will readily admit I didn't discover the depth that you guys did. I have been exposed to so much of the shallow stuff from Disney and Pixar that I don't see either capable of actually crafting such depth into a movie. But then, authors don't control the interpretation their work recieves either. I will just have to take your word for it.
"Ut Prosim"