Brave

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

But then, authors don't control the interpretation their work recieves either.
Heh. No, no we don't. I think one of the perks of being an artist of any sort is hearing someone else's take on your work, and realizing at once both "I'd never thought of that" and "hey, they have a point."
Folca

Post by Folca »

Oh, absolutely. I have found depth in things that others have mocked and vice versa. Your assesment of "Wall-E" appears to have merit, but it has been too long since I have seen it. That is why I have to take your word for it. :D
"Ut Prosim"
"There are some things that it is better to begin than refuse, even though the end may be dark" Aragorn
"Those who commit honorable acts need no forgiveness"
http://killology.com/sheep_dog.htm
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Saw it tonite. Thought it was sweet and lovely and likeable but not great in any particular respect asides from the gorgeous visuals. As a huge Pixar fan, and one who fully agrees with Ax's assesment of Wall-E, Up, The Incredibles and Ratatouille as artistic masterpieces and not mere "kids movies", it's a disappointment. Plus - no Hobbit trailer.
Last edited by yovargas on Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

I keep coming back to the basic shape of the story as the offender. Not the subject matter (mothers, daughters, and how we learn to deal with the circumstances of our lives), not the characters. Even the --SPOILER--
Hidden text.
switch in roles, where the daughter has to teach the mother how to survive and protect her after mom turns into a bear
in and of itself doesn't mess things up. I think. It's hard to pin down what the issue is, but it's something in the plot. And it makes the movie, as yov says, merely likable, not anything memorable.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

I don't quite know what has happened in my head. Beyond the obvious. :D

But I cannot for the life of me enter into movies or tv drama any more. It seems all so "fake" to me. I can't suspend my disbelief - and am, sadly, probably never going to actually watch any version of LOTR again.

I will give The Hobbit a go, and hope for some entertainment.

The other thing is, a movie is only a movie in a theatre. Watching a movie on TV does NOTHING for me.
Dig deeper.
Folca

Post by Folca »

Vision, I imagine staring DEATH in the eye and then poking him in his eye to drive him away for a good long while :blackeye: (I would hope) would tend to minimize the value of entertainment. Most entertainment is the act of living vicariously through someone else. Once faced with events that challenge and change our perspectives forever, vacarious desires seem pale in comparison to real life. I don't get the vicarious effect from entertainment as much as I used to, before I became a law enforcement officer and experienced potentially deadly situations. Now, my own personal experiences matter far more than entertainment provided by others. I do things for my own experience and I enjoy it more.

I think the biggest thing about the plot for me regarding "Brave" was that it didn't seem...epic enough, for lack of a better word. I was really hoping to see more of an Éowyn type character. That, combined with the actual story, would have increased the result for me. There was definitely something missing though.

Right now what is missing most regarding this movie is the soundtract that is not in my CD player because Amazon hasn't delivered it yet. ;)
"Ut Prosim"
"There are some things that it is better to begin than refuse, even though the end may be dark" Aragorn
"Those who commit honorable acts need no forgiveness"
http://killology.com/sheep_dog.htm