The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Holbytla

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Post by Holbytla »

The idea and museum makes great sense to me. I think we should wrap our arms around the history of Rock and Roll and celebrate the medium for what it is. I love the idea of displays at the museum and I love that we are keeping alive the history of the medium for what it was.

However the practical application of the Hall and who gets inducted and who does not, is suspect at best. I realize this sort of thing is opinion based, but there are also elements of politics and revenge involved.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's 27th Annual Induction Ceremony is to be held tomorrow in Cleveland. Among the new inductees are;
Guns N' Roses
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Donovan
Laura Nyro
The Small Faces/Faces
Beastie Boys
The Crickets (why on God's green earth they have to be separated from Buddy Holly is anyone's guess)
The Famous Flames
The Midnighters
The Comets
The Blue Caps
The Miracles (why on God's green earth they have to be separated from Smokey Robinson is anyone's guess)
Don Kirshner
Cosimo Matassa
Tom Dowd
Glyn Johns

I can live with all of those inductees. I have no issue with any of them being inducted into the Hall.

Until I saw the list of people who have yet to be inducted, some far past their eligibility date.

http://www.futurerocklegends.com/The_Snub_List.php

I know too well that personal opinion makes this more difficult for me than it would an objective bystander, but there are names on that list that make me want to turn a blind eye on an institution that should be held in regard.

The Blue Caps get in and Randy Newman and Stevie Ray Vaughn do not? What?!?!?

Brian Epstein is not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?!!!!!!!!!!!!???

There must be some way to get Jann Wenner impeached.

What should be a noble institution is a scam and based on personal bias and a disregard for people and music that do not meet the whims of a egotist.

In any case the ceremonies are tomorrow and if nothing else the people selected should be acknowledged for their contributions.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

No kidding.

But what did Stevie Ray Vaughan have to do with Rock and Roll? :shock: :D
Dig deeper.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Hey, Cleveland is my hometown. :love:

That has nothing to do with anything, but I felt the need to say that. :D

(I've never been to the museum. I love music and rock 'n' roll. But I don't really have a desire to go see anything in a museum about rock 'n' roll. I don't know; it just doesn't do anything for me.)

So the system is corrupt? How do they determine it?
eborr

Post by eborr »

Trite comment but if rock n roll is in a museum then it isn't rock n roll
Since 1410 most Welsh people most of the time have abandoned any idea of independence as unthinkable. But since 1410 most Welsh people, at some time or another, if only in some secret corner of the mind, have been "out with Owain and his barefoot scrubs." For the Welsh mind is still haunted by it's lightning-flash vision of a people that was free.

Gwyn A. Williams,
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

I think you could have a R&R museum, but it would need a lot more broken glass.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

No Rory Gallagher. Fail.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End