Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Part 2)

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Elentári

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Part 2)

Post by Elentári »

Deathly Hallows 2 could do with some LOTR-style endings, says Variety

***WARNING*** The Variety article contains major spoilers!

Kristin Thompson of The Frodo Franchise Blog reports that "Variety‘s mostly enthusiastic review of the last Harry Potter film was posted today. One fault that the reviewer found was that the end was too perfunctory, comparing it unfavorably to the lengthier multiple endings of LOTR:"
But all good things must come to an end, and here that applies to not only the series as a whole but also the very real and very dark magic “Part 2″ manages to weave in its first 90 minutes. Of all the ways to dramatize the inevitable final faceoff, the filmmakers have chosen one that, while more cinematic than the novel’s version, feels unduly hastened, violates some fundamental rules of Rowling’s universe, and hands the Dark Lord’s pet snake rather too prominent a role. More to the point, the climax feels emotionally muted and disengaged, and its anemic execution would be forgivable only if the entire series had not been building to this moment.

While Yates’ economy is admirable, this is one picture that had every right to take its time and allow viewers the courtesy of a more ceremonious and protracted farewell. Fans of long-form blockbuster fantasy may find themselves yearning for the multiple endings of Peter Jackson’s “Lord of the Rings,” which grasped the wisdom of giving the public too much rather than not enough.

Kristin ends "Given how many critics complained about the supposedly drawn-out ending of the trilogy, it’s nice to see it getting some respect here. "
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

I just saw the movie and, without having seen this, had the same reaction. The film is so very dark and sad that I yearned for a more extended, gentle goodbye.

Or maybe I just didn't want it to be over.
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

I totally agree with that review.

I thought the ending weirdly muted. Harry's just killed his nemesis, at long flippin' last, and everybody else virtually ignores him! ROTFL.

I liked the film, didn't love it. Battle of Hogwarts was terrific, Alan Rickman was AWESOME - Snape's death was terrifically moving - I thought Dan did a wonderful job as Harry - the Forest Again was also very moving - and go Neville! Also liked how the film treated the Malfoys. :). (My favourite Slytherin family!).

But the ending lacked catharsis, for me, and the film exposed some of the real issues I have with the book. (Don't get me started on Dumbledore the Incompetent.).

But worth it all for Alan the Awesome. ;). I truly, madly, deeply love his Snape!
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

I've seen other complaints about the lack of celebration after Harry kills Voldemort, but I thought it was a realistic portrayal of the shell shock that follows a major battle. This wasn't a Quidditch game. Friends and mentors died. Young witches and wizards killed for the first time. Their school was in ruins. They had faced horror. Yes, they won, but at such cost.

And it had been fought to protect Harry. No wonder he wasn't carried on shoulders and cheered.

Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Hoping to see the film later this week... I think you are probably right about the shell shock feeling, Wampus.
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

I won't be seeing it until a week from today at the earliest, but I've a feeling Wampus has the correct take on it. If I remember the book correctly, the Battle of Hogwarts was emotionally climactic...and emotionally exhausting.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Saw the film for a second time last night -- it's beautiful in 3D, by the way -- and I liked the ending a lot better this time. :)

So, basically, I now agree with Wampus too!

Second Viewing Syndrome. :D It so works! ;)
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

So, should I see it in 2D or 3D? I'm inclined to go 2D since that's how I saw the others, but not if its in a tiny screen with no decent sound system.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

My showing was 2D, but I generally dislike 3D movies.

Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

3D was very good, Al. There are no gratuitous effects, it simply adds depth and for me, the 3D effects were transparent to the point where not once* did I think, "oh, look! 3D!"

* One small exception, but I won't say when it occurred, only that it took place during a satisfyingly appropriate moment.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

I haven't ever seen a 3D movie that I didn't find distracting and gratuitous at some point, so I thankfully saw this in 2D and didn't have to deal with that aspect.

I have read the first 3 books and have seen all of the movies at least twice. I can't bring myself to read further, though I may at some point. I like the movies, with an exception or two, and I liked this movie. I didn't think it was great and I thought that there were a few cheesy moments even by HP standards, but I liked it.

I don't get the argument with the whole Tolkien protracted ending as compared with this though. While it wasn't as segmented, it certainly was protracted. Better than an hour and with lulls in the action no less.

I still think the first movie was the best.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Saw it in 3D yesterday and wasn't disappointed like I thought I might be from the reviews. Thought it was wonderful...cried like a baby over Snape and the pensieve scene :cry:

Can't think of any real complaints, other than I felt the protracted business with Neville producing the sword of Gryfindor but not actually using it for another 10 minutes, due to prolonging the denoument between Harry and Voldemort contributed somewhat to a sense of anticlimax for me - much better in the book for Neville's heroic moment.
~Diana Cortes
eborr

Post by eborr »

Agree with Elen = some very good moments, but also some missed opportunities, the taughtness of the book is much better than the over-indulgence of the lens -
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Would have been better if they'd dropped the Gringotts business entirely, and the whole "Harry wins on a technicality" ending (tell me again why no wizard had ever worked out the rules of wand ownership before given that they use the things constantly their whole lives long)?

Also thought there were too many "look at this cool effect we can do!" moments (not necessarily 3d effects; just effects in general).

In short, it was no more of a mess than the book. :) And like the book, when it was good, it was good.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I finally saw it yesterday, and I liked it quite a lot. I found parts of it genuinely moving.

Dropping the Gringotts incident would have made the movie both too short and back-heavy, IMO. It's not a surprising problem, given the lack of big set-piece events in the middle of the book. The only alternative would have been to draw out the Battle of Hogwarts to take up the entire film, and I think that would have been a worse choice.

As for the wand rules, I thought it was pretty clear that Voldemort had reason to believe the wand would obey him: he didn't know its complete sequence of ownership. He didn't fail because he didn't know the rules.

I was thinking the first time I learned about them that it was silly to carry a deadly weapon that could be instantly turned against you if your enemy got control of it; but then I realized that's how deadly weapons work in the Muggle world, too. ;)
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Primula Baggins wrote:Dropping the Gringotts incident would have made the movie both too short and back-heavy, IMO. It's not a surprising problem, given the lack of big set-piece events in the middle of the book. The only alternative would have been to draw out the Battle of Hogwarts to take up the entire film, and I think that would have been a worse choice.
They practically did this anyway, but there was one other alternative--make one film instead of two :). Gringotts felt perfunctory to me; I got the impression it was just something the filmmakers felt they had to slog through in order to get to the good stuff.
As for the wand rules, I thought it was pretty clear that Voldemort had reason to believe the wand would obey him: he didn't know its complete sequence of ownership. He didn't fail because he didn't know the rules.
It wasn't until after he tried to use the wand and couldn't that it even occurred to him to ask whether Snape might be its rightful master. And even then, the only solution he could think of was to kill the guy, even though a simple disarming spell is apparently sufficient to change a wand's allegiance (and doesn't cost you a top lieutenant). This was a problem in the book too, of course; which is why I was hoping the film would omit the wand mastery idiom entirely.
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

I saw it a while ago, in 3D. I found the 3D a little jarring and distracting. Any time I saw the obviously 3D bits, I thought 'oh, 3D!' Then remembered that I was actually watching a film with a storyline and so on. I'm going to see it again in 2D tomorrow.

When it first came out, I genuinely didn't want to see it. I sort of dragged myself to it. I thought I'd somehow outgrown the franchise. Within the first few minutes of the film, I realised that in fact, a small part of me didn't want to see the franchise end. I read the book for the first time 14 years ago, when I was 8, and basically grew up with Harry, Ron and Hermione. I got each successive book the day it came out, the last 4 at midnight.

As a huge Harry Potter fanboy, I loved most of this film (despite the above problems with 3D). There were one or two moments where I thought the script let it down, and I've never been a fan of Daniel Radcliffe, but Emma Watson has really matured as an actress (she doesn't let her eyebrows do it all in this one! :) ) and so has Rupert Grint. I laughed, I cried, I laughed again. As Pearly Di mentioned, it wasn't as cathartic as it could have been, I suppose, but for me, there was enough. They handled the epilogue reasonably well, I thought ,and being honest, the movie does need it! All that doom and gloom...

I can't believe it's over. :(
Why is the duck billed platypus?
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I watched in 2D last night with the whole family and really enjoyed it. There were some very obvious "This would be cool in 3D" shots involving the dragon, the Gringots Roller Coaster and Nagini. This is exactly the sort of shot that puts me off 3D, since its so gimmicky. I'm glad I chose to see the 2D version.

Anyway, like I said, I really enjoyed it. I thought the ending "felt" like the book while making a bit more sense. I really think they could have done better with ageing the kids for the Epilogue. Even if they had to use adult actors with facial similarities it would have been better. Ginny in particular looked like a kid playing dress up. Still, all in all it was a fitting send off. I look forward to the inevitable collectors box set on Blu-ray and the Weekend Marathon I'll probably do with the kids at that time!

It has, however got me thinking about the Hobbit, and I have a thread in mind to discuss!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Totally agree about the epilogue - they seemed to have made more effort to age the boys than the girls, though actually I thought Ginny looked better than Hermione in that respect.

Regarding the 3D issue, I watched the movie in 3D and tbh didn't find it that obvious/distracting - maybe the cinema glasses weren't that good, or else the 3D effect was fairly subtle. I think if Part 1 had been in 3D there were definitely more "in your face" moments, particularly involving the snake!
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Alatar wrote:It has, however got me thinking about the Hobbit, and I have a thread in mind to discuss!
I look forward to it!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."