The Borgias

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
vison
Best friends forever

The Borgias

Post by vison »

Anyone else watch the first episode?

I'll watch almost anything Jeremy Irons is in, but I'm not sure how I felt about this one. An awful lot of "As you know, Bob . . ." stuff, but I guess that's inevitable. I thought that Rodrigo Borgia was FAR too "modern", especially when he was fretting about who Lucretia was to be married to. But his relationship with his sons was good. The young prince of Naples was too much of the giggling psychopath to suit me, but certainly his father's dining table was . . . well done . . . :shock:

At any rate, I'll give this week's another shot.
Dig deeper.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

No, I haven't seen it, though it sounds like something I'd watch. Is it on cable? I don't have cable. :(
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Lalaith wrote:No, I haven't seen it, though it sounds like something I'd watch. Is it on cable? I don't have cable. :(
I believe it's on HBO in the US. We get it on Showcase.
Dig deeper.
SirDennis

Post by SirDennis »

Here it's on Bravo.

Anyway I think you are describing the 3rd episode vision. Tonight is episode 4. I'm enjoying the series so far.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

SirDennis wrote:Here it's on Bravo.

Anyway I think you are describing the 3rd episode vision. Tonight is episode 4. I'm enjoying the series so far.
Is it? The 4th? Jeez. I missed the first 2, I guess. And, since you are yourself a Canuck like me, I guess I get it on Bravo, too. I guess. I am so inept with the remote, I just mooch along until I see what I want. :oops:
Dig deeper.
SirDennis

Post by SirDennis »

It's kind of confusing because they aired the first two episodes on the night of its premier. Yet Bell (and I suspect other providers) did not tweak to this. According to their program guide tonight's episode was episode 3 but really it was episode 4.

In the mini-series (which they are calling a season for some reason) we have seen so far:
"The Poisoned Chalice"
"The Assassin" (nice nod to Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood)
"The Moor" (which is the first one you saw)
and "Lucrezia's Wedding."
The next episode is called "The Borgias in Love."
There are 9 episodes in total.

Leaving acting aside for now (though Irons, Arnaud, and Feore are excellent so far) the thing that impresses me most about the series are the sets and costumes. The plot meanders a bit at times, focusing on the mundane more than one might have expected (for a sense of realism?) but the references to history and historic figures are fascinating. I'm hoping Da Vinci makes an appearance... the Medici and Machiavelli have already!
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Well, I didn't watch it after all. I was reading The Third Chimpanzee and the kids were watching something else.

Probably I'll get it on DVD and watch it next winter, when the evenings are long and I can sort of concentrate on TV.
Dig deeper.
Nin
Ni Dieu, ni maître

Post by Nin »

I found it....
"nolite te bastardes carborundorum".
Hachimitsu
Formerly Wilma

Post by Hachimitsu »

Although I am not watching, my father is thoroughly enjoying it. (He is prompt with this one, he only now finally saw Hamlet with David Tennant, I gave him the DVD for his birthday in the summer. Then again, only now is he figuring out how to work the DVD player.)