It is currently Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:17 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 391 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 20  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:42 am 
chocolate bearer

Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating
anthriel wrote:

I think I'm still trying to work out why her death felt different to me.
:help:

Part of me was hoping that she and Jon would settle down, raise a family, and have a kinder life. The initial chapters of the first book were so idyllic. But of course, after everything was set in motion, there was no going back to the gentle everyday life of Winterfell.

Is this a white privilege thing? Many of us, including me, can look with nostalgia back to the fifties and sixties (or later) and remember the white, comfortable, suburban, middle class lives, on TV and perhaps in our own families, unaware of the way the rest of the world lived. Is this the same as how we can long for the people of Winterfell to recapture their former life without remembering the people on the outside - like the wildlings - who never shared in it?

This series of books, as well as the LOTR and many similar books, give me a profound sense of loss that I can't go back to the childhood that at the time seemed so perfect, and so timeless. GRRM picks off our avenues of retreat one by one and it isn't pretty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:30 pm 
halo optional

It did really hit me when Mance said that he could only unite the wildlings to try to get south of the wall by telling them they would die if they didn't. The world has changed for all of these people.

Well, tonight's the night. The last episode this year.

It went fast, didn't it?:(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:10 pm 

If it wasn't for the World Cup, I think I would just go to sleep today and set the alarm for when GoT comes on. Cannot wait!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:53 am 

Oh my finale. Wow. The best yet. Cannot believe I have to wait another year for the story to continue...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:04 pm 

Well, I just want to say, I was sort of glad last night that I can't get GoT. I would have been jumping up and down in frustration. We were blacked out for over SIX hours last night due to a line of violent thunderstorms, once of which spawned a tornado roughly 25 km. from where I live!

As it was, all I missed were the NCIS reruns...

:P

Hope y'all got to enjoy the broadcast!

Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:29 pm 
bioalchemist

Spoiler: show
I'm actually kind of relieved Lady Stoneheart has been left out of the show. That was a real "jump the shark" moment for me in the book. But I'm feeling very alone in the fandom for that. Anyone else happy, or, at least, not distressed, that Catelyn Stark has stayed dead?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:53 am 

River wrote:
I'm actually kind of relieved Lady Stoneheart has been left out of the show. That was a real "jump the shark" moment for me in the book. But I'm feeling very alone in the fandom for that. Anyone else happy, or, at least, not distressed, that Catelyn Stark has stayed dead?

I am happy about the omission, but not for the same reason as you are River.

The reason I dislike the Lady Stoneheart thing is because at this point of the story, the children of the Starks are all coming into their own (especially in the show). Arya has shed her protectors and is sailing off alone, Sansa has taken the reins of her own life, Bran is fulfilling his destiny and Jon Snow is effectively leading the Night's Watch. The Stark children are coming into their own, and hopefully, laying the groundwork to achieve justice for their family, and vengeance for their loved ones. And then...their mother comes back, and starts enacting vengeance herself.

It just seems so regressive. The parents have played their part. Now let the children reign.

Good move by the showrunners to leave her out. Though it's always possible she'll appear next season...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:18 pm 
halo optional

Passdagas the Brown wrote:
Good move by the showrunners to leave her out. Though it's always possible she'll appear next season...

That's what I was thinking. We don't REALLY know if she'll stay dead...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:25 pm 
bioalchemist

With any luck, she will.

PtB, I think you just articulated something else that's been bothering me about the Stoneheart storyline. I couldn't put my finger on it, though.

There've been complaints that leaving out Lady Stoneheart makes the development of the Brotherhood Without Banners and the resurrection powers of the red priests a pointless exercise, but I am not so sure. Those powers are definitely a Chekhov's gun. They will have to go off again at some point in the show even if Stoneheart never makes an appearance. I think I know when...but I'm not sure where other people are with the books so perhaps I should stop here. Sadly, the spoiler tags don't seem to work recursively.

It just occurred to me that these black bars make it look like we're talking about something dirty. =:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:33 pm 
Pleasantly Twisted

It would be ever cooler if people went all Mad Libs on it and just redacted individual words with (verb) after them. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:40 pm 
bioalchemist

Waaay too much effort. But the subversiveness might just be worth it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:57 pm 
chocolate bearer

Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating
I haven't been following the HBO series but I'm happy to hear they did not bring back a dead
Lady Stoneheart
. I've never quite understood GRRM's variety of undead and semidead and reanimated people and not being a zombie aficionado, I'd just as well rather not see more of them.

Lady Stoneheart
in particular creeped me out.

And if you don't want to be spoiled, don't make a post, hit "preview" and look down at the Topic Review, because it lacks spoiler tags. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:55 pm 

River wrote:
With any luck, she will.

PtB, I think you just articulated something else that's been bothering me about the Stoneheart storyline. I couldn't put my finger on it, though.

There've been complaints that leaving out Lady Stoneheart makes the development of the Brotherhood Without Banners and the resurrection powers of the red priests a pointless exercise, but I am not so sure. Those powers are definitely a Chekhov's gun. They will have to go off again at some point in the show even if Stoneheart never makes an appearance. I think I know when...but I'm not sure where other people are with the books so perhaps I should stop here. Sadly, the spoiler tags don't seem to work recursively.

It just occurred to me that these black bars make it look like we're talking about something dirty. =:)

I know what you're referring to,
and after thinking about it
long and hard,
I think it's highly possible.
Particularly since in the show, Melisandre visits the BwB and learns of this "resurrection" power.

And even if not, I think the BwB scenes serve a purpose in the development of Arya's character, and so are not pointless even if Chekhov's gun doesn't go off later in the series. Sort of how Bombadil's powers play no part in LOTR after the brief episode in the Old Forest....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:27 pm 
Pleasantly Twisted

Better!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:11 am 
halo optional

Hoboy.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:42 am 

Exciting new casting for season 5:

http://winteriscoming.net/2014/07/25/ne ... announced/

Alexander Siddig as Doran! That's close to perfect.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:08 am 
of Vinyamar

Ouch. I'm avoiding looking, but obviously the spoiler tags are broken. Can someone who doesn't care about spoilers please fix?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:45 pm 
1000%

I've done this page, and I can do more later if necessary.

Strangely, all I needed to do was hit "edit" and then "submit". The tags are the same. What a bummer that they didn't automatically convert. But it think this discussion is the main current discussion that has spoilers.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:21 pm 
of Vinyamar

Thanks V.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:19 pm 

Thanks V!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 391 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 20  Next