Winter is Coming: A Game of Thrones (SPOILERS)

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

anthriel wrote:
I think I'm still trying to work out why her death felt different to me.
:help:
Part of me was hoping that she and Jon would settle down, raise a family, and have a kinder life. The initial chapters of the first book were so idyllic. But of course, after everything was set in motion, there was no going back to the gentle everyday life of Winterfell.

Is this a white privilege thing? Many of us, including me, can look with nostalgia back to the fifties and sixties (or later) and remember the white, comfortable, suburban, middle class lives, on TV and perhaps in our own families, unaware of the way the rest of the world lived. Is this the same as how we can long for the people of Winterfell to recapture their former life without remembering the people on the outside - like the wildlings - who never shared in it?

This series of books, as well as the LOTR and many similar books, give me a profound sense of loss that I can't go back to the childhood that at the time seemed so perfect, and so timeless. GRRM picks off our avenues of retreat one by one and it isn't pretty.
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

It did really hit me when Mance said that he could only unite the wildlings to try to get south of the wall by telling them they would die if they didn't. The world has changed for all of these people.

Well, tonight's the night. The last episode this year.

It went fast, didn't it?:(
"What do you fear, lady?" Aragorn asked.
"A cage," Éowyn said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

If it wasn't for the World Cup, I think I would just go to sleep today and set the alarm for when GoT comes on. Cannot wait!
Passdagas the Brown

Oh my finale. Wow. The best yet. Cannot believe I have to wait another year for the story to continue...
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Well, I just want to say, I was sort of glad last night that I can't get GoT. I would have been jumping up and down in frustration. We were blacked out for over SIX hours last night due to a line of violent thunderstorms, once of which spawned a tornado roughly 25 km. from where I live!

As it was, all I missed were the NCIS reruns...

:P

Hope y'all got to enjoy the broadcast!
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Hidden text.
I'm actually kind of relieved Lady Stoneheart has been left out of the show. That was a real "jump the shark" moment for me in the book. But I'm feeling very alone in the fandom for that. Anyone else happy, or, at least, not distressed, that Catelyn Stark has stayed dead?
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Passdagas the Brown

River wrote:
Hidden text.
I'm actually kind of relieved Lady Stoneheart has been left out of the show. That was a real "jump the shark" moment for me in the book. But I'm feeling very alone in the fandom for that. Anyone else happy, or, at least, not distressed, that Catelyn Stark has stayed dead?
I am happy about the omission, but not for the same reason as you are River.
Hidden text.
The reason I dislike the Lady Stoneheart thing is because at this point of the story, the children of the Starks are all coming into their own (especially in the show). Arya has shed her protectors and is sailing off alone, Sansa has taken the reins of her own life, Bran is fulfilling his destiny and Jon Snow is effectively leading the Night's Watch. The Stark children are coming into their own, and hopefully, laying the groundwork to achieve justice for their family, and vengeance for their loved ones. And then...their mother comes back, and starts enacting vengeance herself.

It just seems so regressive. The parents have played their part. Now let the children reign.

Good move by the showrunners to leave her out. Though it's always possible she'll appear next season...
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

Passdagas the Brown wrote:
Hidden text.
Good move by the showrunners to leave her out. Though it's always possible she'll appear next season...
Hidden text.
That's what I was thinking. We don't REALLY know if she'll stay dead...
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Hidden text.
With any luck, she will.

PtB, I think you just articulated something else that's been bothering me about the Stoneheart storyline. I couldn't put my finger on it, though.

There've been complaints that leaving out Lady Stoneheart makes the development of the Brotherhood Without Banners and the resurrection powers of the red priests a pointless exercise, but I am not so sure. Those powers are definitely a Chekhov's gun. They will have to go off again at some point in the show even if Stoneheart never makes an appearance. I think I know when...but I'm not sure where other people are with the books so perhaps I should stop here. Sadly, the spoiler tags don't seem to work recursively.
It just occurred to me that these black bars make it look like we're talking about something dirty. =:)
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

It would be ever cooler if people went all Mad Libs on it and just redacted individual words with (verb) after them. :D
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Waaay too much effort. But the subversiveness might just be worth it.
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

I haven't been following the HBO series but I'm happy to hear they did not bring back a dead
Hidden text.
Lady Stoneheart
. I've never quite understood GRRM's variety of undead and semidead and reanimated people and not being a zombie aficionado, I'd just as well rather not see more of them.
Hidden text.
Lady Stoneheart
in particular creeped me out.

And if you don't want to be spoiled, don't make a post, hit "preview" and look down at the Topic Review, because it lacks spoiler tags. :shock:
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Passdagas the Brown

River wrote:
Hidden text.
With any luck, she will.

PtB, I think you just articulated something else that's been bothering me about the Stoneheart storyline. I couldn't put my finger on it, though.

There've been complaints that leaving out Lady Stoneheart makes the development of the Brotherhood Without Banners and the resurrection powers of the red priests a pointless exercise, but I am not so sure. Those powers are definitely a Chekhov's gun. They will have to go off again at some point in the show even if Stoneheart never makes an appearance. I think I know when...but I'm not sure where other people are with the books so perhaps I should stop here. Sadly, the spoiler tags don't seem to work recursively.
It just occurred to me that these black bars make it look like we're talking about something dirty. =:)
I know what you're referring to,
Hidden text.
and after thinking about it
long and hard,
Hidden text.
I think it's highly possible.
Hidden text.
Particularly since in the show, Melisandre visits the BwB and learns of this "resurrection" power.
Hidden text.
And even if not, I think the BwB scenes serve a purpose in the development of Arya's character, and so are not pointless even if Chekhov's gun doesn't go off later in the series. Sort of how Bombadil's powers play no part in LOTR after the brief episode in the Old Forest....
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Better!
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

Hoboy.
Passdagas the Brown

Re: Winter is Coming: A Game of Thrones (SPOILERS)

Exciting new casting for season 5:

http://winteriscoming.net/2014/07/25/ne ... announced/

Alexander Siddig as Doran! That's close to perfect.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Ouch. I'm avoiding looking, but obviously the spoiler tags are broken. Can someone who doesn't care about spoilers please fix?
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I've done this page, and I can do more later if necessary.

Strangely, all I needed to do was hit "edit" and then "submit". The tags are the same. What a bummer that they didn't automatically convert. But it think this discussion is the main current discussion that has spoilers.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Thanks V.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Passdagas the Brown

Thanks V!