Winter is Coming: A Game of Thrones (SPOILERS)

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Sorry guys, my mistake! On my work monitor I couldn't see the white text at all, so I assumed the whole paragraph following "Spoiler: " was spoiler ridden.

Carry on!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Nin
Ni Dieu, ni maître

Post by Nin »

I watched episode 7 yesterday (I get a French subtitled version and the subtiteling was so bad, that it spoiled a lot for me, but that's a different question....).

I raelly liked that scene with Little finger in the brothrel. For me, it showed how cynic he had become, even about his "great love" and it makes it all the more plausible to see him betraying Ned at the end of the episode.
"nolite te bastardes carborundorum".
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Alatar wrote:Sorry guys, my mistake! On my work monitor I couldn't see the white text at all, so I assumed the whole paragraph following "Spoiler: " was spoiler ridden.

Carry on!
Okay. Maybe I'll mark the end of the spoiler too to avoid further confusion.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Ellienor

Post by Ellienor »

As I think about this show, I really do think it is amazingly well done. Fantasy done wrong can be just heartbreakingly cheesy. I eagerly anticipated the SyFy channel's version of the Earthsea trilogy by Ursula Leguin, and when they showed it (it was an amalgam of books 1 and 2) it was so bad as to be literally unwatchable. I mean, those books are haunting meditations on what it means to have power and how that power can be hemmed in and used for the wrong purposes, among other things. I have never watched the movie Eragon but I understand it was another cheesy remake. Even LOTR had its cheesy moments (green scrubbing bubbles, anyone?)

But somehow they've completely managed to avoid it with this show. It's just so much more real. I couldn't explain to you what they did right, but they did right. Yes, there have been a few things I haven't liked (that scene with Lord Baelish insstructing his 'employees' being one of them, and I think Lysa Arryn is a little too over-the-top weird, although in all fairness she was pretty cracked in the book).

Begin spoiler:
Hidden text.
I'm kind of wondering what the payoff is going to be with the books, though. I'm starting to realize that Martin is going to kill off just about everyone we care about. Um, so is this book ever going to make me happy or feel good?
:P End spoiler
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

Just watched the latest episode...what an amazing, intense, powerful and wonderful episode. Whilst I'm disappointed by the lack of showing any actual fighting, I can get over that as the rest of the episode was superb.

The end...I knew what was going to happen...but damn...really made me cry. Bet next week will too. :P
Nin
Ni Dieu, ni maître

Post by Nin »

I still can't get this one... :(
"nolite te bastardes carborundorum".
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

The last episode:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

I most definitely did not see that coming. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

I don't think anyone ever sees that coming.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Even as I'm watching it happen it didn't occur to me that OMG this is going to happen!!!

Like Eru, I also would've like to have seen some of the battle/fighting
Hidden text.
Hidden text.
Jamie's capture really should have been shown IMO
but overall the show is doing a damn fine job.
-The Decemberists

Ellienor

Post by Ellienor »

And now, the true tragedy of the show is that we have to wait until Spring 2012 for mooooore.......I want more!!!!!!!! That last episode was really well done. OMG the part where the brothers went and fetched Jon Snow back...that was really well done. And incredibly spooky and eerie during the pyre scene with Daenerys. Watching her walk into the fire......very creepy. And River, the scene where Aemon of the wall was revealed to be Aemon Targaryen, who watched his house fall and almost all members be killed.....that was a good scene. The actor did a great job with it.

And the interaction between Tyrion and his father.....the actors are doing an amazing job. I think Papa Lannister is so well cast.

I could have done without the old dude in the brothel though (Pycelle?).......WHY does HBO add stuff? Seems like that kind of entertainment is all the men in that world do...... :P
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

But I don't wanna wait so loooooong for more. :bawling:
-The Decemberists

River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

There is a book version, yov. ;)

I gotta see this when it comes to DVD...
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

River wrote:There is a book version, yov.
Yeah, but the HBO series has better graphics. ;)
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Don't be a Philistine. :D In my opinion, the book is well worth your time. Not Tolkien, but head and shoulders above most other fantasies that have been compared to Tolkien. I found it very entertaining and plan to read the entire series.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I might even try my hand at it.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
SirDennis

Post by SirDennis »

It just seems so dense... how many fully realized fantasy worlds should a person be expected to be able to appreciate in one lifetime?
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Don't make me call you lazy. :P

In all seriousness though, the SOIAF series is well-written and the world-building goes down very easily. Some of the plot elements are kicks to the head...but well-written kicks to the head.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

It's the world-building that hooks me. It's genuinely well done. Building worlds is intensely fascinating to me (because I write SF myself), and I'm highly critical of how it's done. But I love to see it done well. A fully realized world that's new to me is fascinating, whether it's fantasy or SF or historical fiction or a really vivid portrayal of here and now.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

SirDennis wrote:It just seems so dense... how many fully realized fantasy worlds should a person be expected to be able to appreciate in one lifetime?
And how many roads must a man walk down, before they call him a man?
Last edited by yovargas on Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-The Decemberists

Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

The audiobook is pretty good, too. The reader isn't the greatest, but the quality of the story makes his performance adequate. If they'd gotten a great actor/reader for the project, it might have been one of my favorite audio books ever. :)

As it is, The Dresden Files are still my favorite audiobooks, simply because James Marsters is such a very good reader and the books are so good, too.