Classic Movies I Should Watch with My Girls

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

"Blossoms in the Dust" - with Greer Garson. "a 1941 American film which tells the story of the non-fictional Edna Gladney who takes it upon herself to help orphaned children to find homes, despite the opposition of the "good" citizens who think that illegitimate children are beneath their interest."

Total tear-jerker and really good.
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

I remember watching The Sting as a kid and not really getting it. The music was nice but the rest was beyond me. Of course, I also had a really short attention span back then as well.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Nin
Ni Dieu, ni maître

Post by Nin »

Some really nice French movies:

Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain. (I think it has run in the US)

La vie en rose (About the life of Edith Piaff- maybe a bit PG13)

Au revoir, les enfants (a movie about the Holocaust, but not directly, very, very beautiful)

La gloire de mon père
Le château de ma mère - two children's classics as well in books as well as movies. The life of French author Marcel Pagnol at the beginning of the 20 th century. Lovely.

And if you care for good classic education: Cyrano de Bergerac (in the version with Gérard Dépardieu) - it's a pure delight

I doubt you will French classic movies in the States, but if you can: Fanfan la Tulipe with Gérard Philippe - the French Eroll Flynn (or James Dean) A cape and sword movie... charming...
"nolite te bastardes carborundorum".
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Nin wrote:Some really nice French movies:

That (Great!) movie is pretty firmly rated R. Amongst other things, one of the characters works in a sex shop.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

In the US, it was released as Amelie. It's very sweet.

A Very Long Engagement (same director, same actress) is also a nice movie that unfortunately includes scenes of men either shooting themselves or arranging matters so they will be shot so they can get out of the trenches. It's also rated R.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Lali, I'm sure you know this site, but I want to generally recommend Kids-in-Mind. It rates movies old and new for "sex/nudity, violence/gore, and profanity," on a scale of 1 to 10, and also gives details of what is shown and said (in a "nonspoilerish" way without character names, etc., though of course you do find out things).

It doesn't come from any religious or social POV; it just tells you what's there on the screen so you can make your own decision for yourself or your kids. I have used it to find out whether a film is going to be too gory for me. I'm glad it exists.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Wow. I tried to look up 5 different movies on that site and found only one of them there, the 2009 Star Trek.

The writeup was kind of amusing, especially the ending:
MESSAGE - Going by your gut instincts can prove more effective than following the rules.
Is that what they were trying to tell us in that movie? :rofl:

And they don't even have "The Princess Bride" listed. Inconceivable!
Nin
Ni Dieu, ni maître

Post by Nin »

yovargas wrote:
Nin wrote:Some really nice French movies:

That (Great!) movie is pretty firmly rated R. Amongst other things, one of the characters works in a sex shop.
R?

In Switzerland, Germany and certainly France too, it was released with an age limit of 6 years...

I would watch it without any problem with my boys. It did not even come to my mind, it could be unsuitable for children older than 6 or 7 - once they are able to follow the story line.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

R here is 17 an up, I believe. I know that ya'll are much more liberal when it comes to sex but there's a decent amount of sexual stuff in there and I think a little nudity too. Is that really considered suitable for 6-7 year olds?
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I think we may be coming up against the fact that Europeans don't find nudity and sex nearly as alarming as Americans do. :P
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Nin
Ni Dieu, ni maître

Post by Nin »

My younger son is almost 11 and I'd most certainly watch it with him.

Honestly, I did not even remember - it's not what lasts from that movie. I have just read some of the ratings on the Website to which Primula linked and I'm flabbergasted at what is listed as sexual: cleavage? Tender kissing? And what is so problematic about nudity? Nudity per se is not sexual...

A PG 13, I could understand, but anything beyond? For me it is censure, especially as movies which I find really violent (like Quantom of Solace, the last Bond) are PG 13.

When I remember Amélie, I remember a fairy tale. But that's probably a question of point of view. I want to rise my kids in the idea that sexuality is positive in life and nothing to hide or to be ashamed of, so to have it shown that way does not bother me at all, rather the contrary.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I like your attitude about about skin and sex, Nin! I think the nudity taboos over here are very unhealthy and it saddens me every time I notice.

I almost bought Amelie on my recent DVD splurge of fantasy movies I really ought to have seen before now, but my husband has flat out refused to watch a subtitled movie again and I couldn't find it dubbed. :(

I may eventually get the subtitled version, but I'll be watching it by myself if I do.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I think the web site is not forming judgments itself, Nin; it's just providing information that many people want before seeing a film or watching it with their children.

Many Americans do believe that seeing sex and nudity is as harmful to children as seeing violence, or even more harmful. Whether they are right or wrong, it's part of the information this web site provides for them. The details it provides help people understand how far the sexuality and nudity go. There are people in this country who sincerely believe that engaged couples should not hold hands and that a couple's first kiss should be after they are married; so they would want to know even about very chaste kisses between unmarried people. I think it's a strange view, but my point about the site is that it doesn't judge; it gives all the information along the spectrum.
Nin
Ni Dieu, ni maître

Post by Nin »

Primula, for me the judgement is already inherent in the criteria chosen: if you list up a tender kiss among sexuality, it is a judgement per se. And furthermore the site does give marks to the different items, so that is a kind of judgement too, imho.

I understand why people consult it and in fact I am quite careful on what I watch with my boys (despite insistance, I only allowed them LOTR this year, e.g.), I just see that my criteria differ a lot: when I see that "Matrix" gets 2 on sex and 7 on violence and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows also 7 on violence, but 4 on sex - I'm sorry, but nothing but in giving a scale, I see a judgement and moreover I see a judgement which I would make very diferently: for me, none of those movies was very sexual and Matrix far more violent. (I chose those two, because I think most of us have seen them.)

Or when I see that Shakespeare in love is rated R, whereas the Sixth sense is PG13 - I found the latter far more disturbing and would feel it far more necessary to talk with my sons about it, if we decided to watch it.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

It looks interesting, but it wouldn't load right for me—just blue links on a white page, and they kept moving around as I tried to click on them. Weird.
Hachimitsu
Formerly Wilma

Post by Hachimitsu »

Has anyone seen the Reluctant Debutante? It's a comedy I think was out in the sixties. I really enjoyed it but I am unsure if it on DVD.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Currently watching the original Peter Sellers "Pink Panther" movies with the kids. Like the Carry On movies, there's suggestions of sex, but nothing overt and my kids didn't bat an eye. We all found them hilarious, from the 5 year old up to the adults.

The Pink Panther 1963
A Shot in the Dark 1964
The Return of the Pink Panther 1975
The Pink Panther Strikes Again 1976
Revenge of the Pink Panther 1978
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Primula Baggins wrote:It looks interesting, but it wouldn't load right for me—just blue links on a white page, and they kept moving around as I tried to click on them. Weird.
Dropped the end "./" and it worked for me.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Weird. It did the same thing for me from the link I posted, but that's the link it gives in the url bar. :scratch:

Alatar, we caught part of a Pink Panther movie last weekend, and it was hilarious!

Wilma, I haven't seen that one.

I started watching Lifeboat last night, but then had to go to bed. It looked like it would be good, but, then, I like Hitchcock movies. And then the girls and I started watching Romeo & Juliet (Zeffirrelli sp?). We have all agreed that Romeo looks like Zac Efron! :rofl: He totally does!