Classic Movies I Should Watch with My Girls

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I'm not to impressed with that kids n mind site. We watched a kid's movie this weekend called "Matilda" and as the movie progressed, I got to thinking "I bet this movie is really blasted by the kids n mind site. The "Message" given here is really appalling!"

I certainly wouldn't have let my kids see that one when they were young, not if I'd known ahead of time what it consisted of. I got it because it was on a list of "good" fantasy films and the blurb sounded OK:
.....as young Matilda, a brilliant girl neglected by her stupid, self-involved parents (DeVito and Rhea Perlman). Ignored at home, Matilda escapes into a world of reading, exercising her mind so much she develops telekinetic powers. Good thing, too: sent off to a school headed by a cruel principal, Matilda needs all the help she can get.
The Kid N Mind site said the Message was "Revenge was sweet". :roll: Ridiculous! They gave it a pass because it's so obviously a kid's movie.

That's certainly not what I got from the movie. What it told me was that most adults are stupid and cruel and deserve punishment by children if it can be accomplished. Also that schools condone child abuse and there isn't anything that can be done about it unless you have telekinetic powers. That it's not even worth reporting. Oh, and you should always have adoption papers on hand just in case you can convince your parents to give you up for adoption and THEN you can live happily ever after! :shock: If you don't like your authority figures, get rid of them.

Appalling. I'd rather have small children watch "A Boy and his Dog". Which I did, at a young age.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

You might check back in a year or so. There's a notice on the site that they're in the process of revising many earlier reviews because their standards are stronger now.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

The Goonies :D My kids still love it - we've only got it on VHS and we've kept the video player just for the purpose of watching this over.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Also...

The Philadelphia Story (with Katharine Hepburn), was later remade as High Society (with Grace Kelly) but the original is much, much better!

Also...

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner? (with Katharine Hepburn, Spencer Tracy and Sidney Poitier), on black/white race relations in America.

Pat and Mike (Hepburn and Tracy, this time on gender relations.)

Adam's Rib (Hepburn and Tracy again, on gender relations)

State of the Union (Hepburn and...yes, Tracy, on politics and corruption)

Em. Yes, I do happen to have a thing about the Hepburn/Tracy combination.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Oh, oh, oh!

Ten Little Indians! Made in the 60's; Agatha Christie - suspense, excellent script, one of the best whodunnits!

Arsenic and Old Lace - Cary Grant discovers his sweet maiden aunts are murderers with kindly intentions. Funny!

Gidget - the original movie with Sandra Dee - just carefree fun.

All About Eve - truly a classic - great acting, great script.

Rebecca - with Laurance Olivier and Joan Fontaine, a very good interpretation of the book.

The Prisoner of Zenda - very early movie, swashbuckling, clever story, good acting, fun.

Ten Angry Men - don't know whether you'd consider this, Lali, but it's a very powerful movie about a jury, locked in until they make up their minds about a murder case. Intense, as the film slowly reveals the individual psychology of each member of the jury. Quite rivetting.

Some Aussie flicks:

Picnic at Hanging Rock - set at the turn of the century (the 19th century, that is), at an exclusive girls' school and is scathing of Victorian values. A school girl disappears on a picnic. Might be disturbing in its suspense, but nothing gory or violent.

Strictly Ballroom - romantic comedy by Baz Luhrmann (or Moulin Rouge fame)
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Ooooh, those are some great suggestions, Impy! Thank you!
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

The Ealing Studios Alec Guiness movies:

Kind Hearts and Coronets
The Lavender Hill Mob
and especially
The Man in the White Suit

The Ladykillers is good but a tad dark.

On a similar note:

The Importance of Being Earnest (1952)
Tom Jones (1963)--on the naughty side...but hey, the book is muuuuch worse. Or better. :D
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Captains Courageous (I loved that book when I was young, and the movie's good)

Mutiny on the Bounty (older versions)

My coffeeless brain just froze up. Back later. . . .
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King