Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

http://www.deadline.com/2010/10/breakin ... vatar-2-3/

It looks like Cameron is moving on with more Avatar.
LOS ANGELES (October 27, 2010) __ Moving forward with the most anticipated films of the next decade, Fox Filmed Entertainment Chairmen Jim Gianopulos and Tom Rothman announced today that Academy Award®-winning filmmaker James Cameron has agreed to make AVATAR 2 and 3 as his next films.

Cameron, who had always viewed AVATAR as the creation of a new world and mythology, will begin work on the scripts early next year with an eye towards commencing production later in 2011. Cameron will decide if he will shoot the films back-to-back after he completes the scripts, but the release of the first, as yet untitled sequel, is targeted for December 2014, with the third film contemplated for a December 2015 release.

AVATAR 2 & 3 will be produced by Cameron and Jon Landau for Cameron’s Lightstorm Entertainment.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Meh.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Sorry, DP
Last edited by Inanna on Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

They'll be pretty. I'll see them. I like science fiction eye candy.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

I also noticed that in just two weeks there will be a Blu-ray edition of the AVATAR special extended edition to hit the market. It makes me wonder why are they not releasing LOTR EE in blu-ray? Will we have to wait for the eve of the first HOBBIT pic?
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I seem to remember reading that PJ wants the Blu-Ray EEs to have a lot of new extras, including documentaries on the filming and such. Or maybe that's wishful thinking. :P I do know I'm not excited enough about Blu-Ray itself to buy exactly the same collection all over again. Our player upconverts really well, the TV is a good one, and the original DVDs are high-quality, so the gain with Blu-Ray isn't going to be dramatic.

If I can get a lot of new content, too, though, I'll probably buy them.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Primula Baggins wrote:I seem to remember reading that PJ wants the Blu-Ray EEs to have a lot of new extras, including documentaries on the filming and such. Or maybe that's wishful thinking. :P I do know I'm not excited enough about Blu-Ray itself to buy exactly the same collection all over again. Our player upconverts really well, the TV is a good one, and the original DVDs are high-quality, so the gain with Blu-Ray isn't going to be dramatic.

If I can get a lot of new content, too, though, I'll probably buy them.
You remember well, Prim! We discussed it here...

viewtopic.php?p=186511#186511
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Thanks, Elen! It's awfully early in the morning here and I didn't have the ambition to search. . . .
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

If there was ever a story that didn't need a sequel, it's Avatar. The impact of the original was in seeing the pretty Pandora, and we can go back any time with a DVD. I suppose the sequel could give us entirely new landscapes.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Frelga wrote:If there was ever a story that didn't need a sequel, it's Avatar.
I'd say it's Titanic. ;)
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

They created that whole world, and I truly understand the impulse to want to tell more stories in it. To Cameron's credit, I think that's driving him at least as much as the fact that putting out sequels to the most lucrative movie ever made is a financial no-brainer.

And, as yov aptly points out, one that was not an option with the previous most lucrative movie ever made.
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

from Prim

I do know I'm not excited enough about Blu-Ray itself to buy exactly the same collection all over again. Our player upconverts really well, the TV is a good one, and the original DVDs are high-quality, so the gain with Blu-Ray isn't going to be dramatic.
That is very true. My previous DVD player had one of those cables to convert the signal to 1080 and simulate high definition. And it looked really great especially like you said on newer discs. Then I got a great deal on a blu-ray player and the first film I bought was PJ's KING KONG which I already had in the other format. I closely examined the two pics on my 65 inch HD TV and would have to admit that while the blu-ray is slightly better in really detailed areas (like the rock wall on Skull Island for example), the differences in quality and detail were for the most part just not noticeable.

So when the HD LOTR came out recently I stayed away figuring to wait for the EE editions.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

sauronsfinger wrote:I also noticed that in just two weeks there will be a Blu-ray edition of the Avatar special extended edition to hit the market. It makes me wonder why are they not releasing LOTR EE in blu-ray? Will we have to wait for the eve of the first Hobbit pic?
Well, rather than the continual reissuing of a few recent movies in different edits and different formats, I'd really like to see some classics appear that have never been released to (American) video at all. Law and Order (U.S. 1932)? Bulldog Drummond Strikes Back (U.S. 1934)? Humanity and Paper Balloons (Japan 1937)? My Love Has Been Burning (Japan 1949)? Hero of the Red-light District (Japan 1960)? All survive, all are highly acclaimed, none are available (to Americans) on video. (I've only seen the fourth in a touring exhibition of Kenji Mizoguchi's films; it is excellent.) And hundreds more could be named.
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Well N.E., while you are waiting for your wish list at least we have this

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/47102

mine is made up of LONDON AFTER MIDNIGHT and 4 DEVILS
Old_Tom_Bombadil
friend to badgers – namer of ponies

Post by Old_Tom_Bombadil »

I was a late-comer to 'Avatar'. I heard all the hoopla, but patiently waited until it became available on DVD so I could watch in the comfort of my own home (on a 52" TV with 5-point surround sound, no less). I actually enjoyed it very much, and wished I could live a life as one of those giant cat people. How cool would that be? Rowr! Okay, not a whole lot of depth to the plot but sometimes that's okay.
yovargas wrote:
Frelga wrote:If there was ever a story that didn't need a sequel, it's Avatar.
I'd say it's Titanic. ;)
:rotfl:
Primula Baggins wrote:And, as yov aptly points out, one that was not an option with the previous most lucrative movie ever made.
I'm not sure about that, Prim. They brought back 'Jaws', didn't they? I can see it now, 'Titanic II: The Ghost Ship'. A haunted ship that will can never dock sails the high seas! Think of it as an early 20th century version of the Flying Dutchman. Maybe they can get Johnny Depp and Geoffrey Rush to make cameos. :D