In search of... and you might like...

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Hachimitsu
Formerly Wilma

In search of... and you might like...

Post by Hachimitsu »

I thought I would start a thread where, if someone was in search of some sort of art or entertainment they could ask here as there are some pretty knowledgeable people on this board. Then they could possibly leave a recommendation at the end of their post and possibly add a link. Be it a book, a play, a documentary... anything (heck even cute advice or a quote).

Especially as this board has varied tastes I thought it would be cool.

(For those who are shy, they don't have to leave a recommendation, I just thought it would be fun to mix it up a bit.)

My first "In search of": Does anyone know of good recordings of Carmen? My Dad asked me, and I don't really know much about that sort of thing and I think I would want a recording for myself. I want to be armed with a bit of knowledge before I go to the CD store.

And you might like Forces by Susumu Hirasawa. Just give a good listen (yes it's in Japanese). It actually was used as a theme song to an anime that I am totally not interested in (called Berserk). I first heard the song on a podcast about the the 50 best openings in anime. I was really struck by how much I liked it and I find I constantly replay it. I am not sure how to describe the instrumentation, but it's just cool (the artist is called an electropop artist).My first thought it's some really cool bagpipes with some 80's style synthesizer but I don't think it's that. I even sing the lyrics in sort of phonetic Japanese called Romaji:oops:

My second search is, would anyone know what groups Kanye West sampled from his new single "Power" ? (I mention the song in the music video thread.) Would anyone have links to those individual songs?
I can look for this myself but I want to get the thread going a bit and I am sure someone out there is much more knowledgeable in this then Wikipedia. (I read he sampled from a British person and an African signing group.)

My recommendation is, there is nothing like a good soak in a bathtub. Especially after a back breaking day (currently moving). Everyone should take some time to relax in the tub with some good music. Your muscles will thank you. (That is where I got inspiration for this thread)

If there is a thread like this already, please lock this and bump up the old one. Thanks. :D

About the awkward title, A&E used to have this television show called "In search of.." and the they would be searching for the strangest things.The announcer would say the title so seriously too. My older sister and I would joke about the goofy title names (we were teen and preteen back then ;) ).
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Re: In search of... and you might like...

Post by yovargas »

Wilma wrote:My second search is, would anyone know what groups Kanye West sampled from his new single "Power" ?
I've heard it's from the band King Crimson. Dunno what song though.
Lurker
Crazy Canuck

Post by Lurker »

Carmen?
Have you tried the Roy Thompson Hall Souvenir Shop? They might be able to recommend you a good recording better than the CD stores. Try calling them. You can also try the Canadian Opera House I think it's somewhere along University and Queen, give them a call also.
“Lawyers are the only persons in whom ignorance of the law is not punished.” - Jeremy Bentham (1748 - 1832)
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

The 1990 Solti recording with the London phil is the best I've come across personally, but I've heard good things about the 1997 Bernstein recording with the NY phil.

The best way to enjoy opera is by watching it though, so for DVDs, I'd recommend the 2000 recording with Levine with the Metropolitan Opera which is the best recording (audio or visual) in existence, IMO. This label can in fact be put to any opera DVDs with Levine at the Met!

Here's a link: http://tinyurl.com/32sauwd
Why is the duck billed platypus?
N.E. Brigand

Re: In search of... and you might like...

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Wilma wrote:Does anyone know of good recordings of Carmen?
Santa Clara Vanguard 1990 -- a ten-minute drum corps arrangement that somehow only placed sixth in Finals. Beautifully done.